Big Brother goes to High School

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
CBS news just reported that a school board in Illinois is now surfing the net to monitor student conduct and will inflict disciplinary action as a result. Their justification is that as students move closer to the adult world their actions could be reviewed and judged by prospective employers who will also be surfing the net scouring for information....What do you think?

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I know that the advent of the Internet has brought with it the age of cyber-bullying.

My neighbor's daughter has been harassed via IM and Text messages and I also faced it as a school administrator. It's the new "bus stop" or "school yard" if you will.

My gut reaction is that students have been disciplined for off-grounds actions (athletes in particular, party behavior also) for years.

Privacy is an illusion, really. You have it in as much as you don't do illegal shit to get yourself flagged. Act accordingly.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I've heard about this kind of thing.

Free speech is free speech but threats, intimidation and harrassment are a different matter. Discipline meted out for online activity will doubtless end up in court. It'll be interesting to see where the courts draw a line between the two.