Bigotry vs veiled bigotry

TheRob

Legendary Member
Media
Ordinary people aren't brainwashed in to racism, a tiny percentage of people who are exposed from an early age to extreme ideologies like those of the white supremacist movement might be, but in general that isn't the case. And ignorance isn't an excuse, I've met plenty of people who came from backgrounds were they would have had no or very little exposure to people of colour, or to stay OT- gay people, who are still open minded and show no propensity to make the kinds of unpleasant generalisations by which prejudices operate.

did the descriptionof the man NCbear gave make him sound like an "ordinary white guy" to you? honestly?

TheRob

Legendary Member
Media
So is it racism/bigotry when a jovial black dude started telling black jokes to me in the gym the other day? I thought they were funny, personally, and probably would have laughed if he had told jokes about white people. First order of business is being able to laugh at each other.

good luck with that one...

pleasureboy

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Nah I think TomCat's right. Here in Louisiana the place is split about 50/50 black and white and we often joke around with each other about race -- even playing on really untrue stereotypes. I don't think anyone actually thinks we didn't have race issues in the past and that there aren't some people on both sides today that are horrible racists too. But being able to treat this aspect of life with a bit of levity sure does keep racism where it belongs -- in the ridiculous.

Plus when you're state's 50% another race, choosing to be racist means you're already eliminating 50% of your potential friends before you've even met them!

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My dad always says you throw the party and invite who you want to be there. Those that come want to attend, those that don't, won't. Then make out your will, xmas card list, birthday calender accordingly.

B_jeepguy2

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Here in the USA there are not many garden variety bigots anymore. There are plenty of closeted bigots though. They make you think they are cool with everything while stabbing you in the back.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm so sorry! That's terrible, especially from one's own parents. I can relate a little, not to being gay, but with having a disapproving mother. I stopped trying to please her in my mid-twenties, and it made my life better.

To answer your question, I'm going to go against the tide. I think veiled bigotry isn't nearly as bad as open bigotry, even though it hurts more when you discover it. It shows shame to hide one's bigotry, which is much more enlightened than open hatred. Evidence of shame and an awareness that one's actions are hurting another person are internal conflicts that bring a person closer to resolving those feelings and becoming a non-bigoted person, and it shows awareness of how one should be judged for his/her bigotry. The fact that he/she wants your approval and your love/frienship means that the person isn't nearly as bigoted as the person who shows you bigotry openly.

I agree with you, gay people should have the exact same rights as straight people!

Congratulations on your civil union! I hope this won't interfere with the joy of it.

luka82

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
See I'm not sure CS's partner's parents actually hate anyone, I don't think they're active bigots. I think they (in common with a lot of even the most gay-friendly seeming people) just don't take gay relationships as seriously as straight ones.

They can cope with them and get their heads around gay relationships so long as there's nothing forcing them to view them in the same way they view straight relationships.

Getting married forces people to see your relationship as the same as a heterosexual relationship, and that why even people you think are fine about you being gay can suddenly flip out when you mention gay marriage.

It's passive bigotry which simply refuses to see a gay relationships as equal to their straight counterparts rather than active bigotry which simply sees gays as wrong and inferior fullstop.
Very true, very!

All in all I believe CS is gonna have a great day!
At least that`s what I wish!:smile:

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
To answer your question, I'm going to go against the tide. I think veiled bigotry isn't nearly as bad as open bigotry, even though it hurts more when you discover it. It shows shame to hide one's bigotry, which is much more enlightened than open hatred. Evidence of shame and an awareness that one's actions are hurting another person are internal conflicts that bring a person closer to resolving those feelings and becoming a non-bigoted person, and it shows awareness of how one should be judged for his/her bigotry. The fact that he/she wants your approval and your love/frienship means that the person isn't nearly as bigoted as the person who shows you bigotry openly.

I'm inclined to agree with you.