Bike Shorts?

D_987zyx4

Just Browsing
Media
I bike on a regular basis and I was wondering what the benefits of wearing bike shorts are. Also if I'm looking to buy a pair what do I look for?

D_Howie Hangin

Just Browsing
Media
I agree with stoneten. Look for a good quality product - i would also suggest not shopping at a general 'sporting goods' store, go to a local bike shop, you'll get a quality product from just about any of them. The benefits will be amazing, it will help with the soreness, and it'll product your junk on long rides. and if you go with the spandex/lycra they will stream line your body along with wicking away sweat, (goodbye DUCKBUTTER.) but you can buy baggy bike shorts too if you don't like the idea of wearing spandex.

enjoy your rides!

Stanmeister

Cherished Member
Media
I would suggest bib shorts. They keep the short up better. You do want a good quality chamois; bigger is not necessarily better. Make sure that the shorts are tight enough. Lack of tightness leads to the chamois getting stuck on your saddle.

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I would suggest bib shorts. They keep the short up better. You do want a good quality chamois; bigger is not necessarily better. Make sure that the shorts are tight enough. Lack of tightness leads to the chamois getting stuck on your saddle.
I prefer the bibs, too. My bibs and one pair of shorts are Pearl Izumi, and I'm very happy with how that brand fits and the extra comfort that their bibs and shorts provide. My other shorts were less expensive, and they are not as suitable for long rides. This is another situation where you get what you pay for. The true test is when I do the Rosarito to Ensenada 50 mile bike ride. Sure, I'm spent when I get to the finish line, and my crotch knows that I just rode 50 miles, but the first time that I did that ride with gym shorts and briefs, it hurt to sit after the ride for an entire day.

JohnDoeXXXm

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
lots of bike store websites say that it's best for you to try on A LOT of different cuts and styles until you find what works best for you... even try on LADIES BIKE SHORTS- because the idea is to have shorts that conform to your particular shape.

Basically bike shorts are comprised of lots of panels- the more seam the better... (and more expensive!) the shorts will be.