Bill Maher's Halloween costume

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I can easily understand this point of view, and I do feel for Irwin's widow and children. I'm still not sure I agree. In general I am not offended by anything done in "poor taste." I have a very dark sense of humor, and I think it's important to be able to laugh about everything.

I find your remark that it was "an insult to all decent people," dangerous and, frankly, a little offensive. Because there's a difference in stating ideas that you actually mean and trying to make light of a situation. I'm not comfortable with anyone making a decision between and mandating what's funny and what's offensive. If there was someone in charge of this, then South Park would have been taken off the air 9 or 10 years ago.

I'm sorry for your brother, but it also sounds like the circumstances surrounding his death were somewhat different. Irwin was doing what he loved.

So was my brother. He was doing something called "autoerotic aesphyxiation".

Grief, I can assure you, is something around which you don't want to act out your personal "dark sense of humor". If additional pain is inflicted I say foul. Do I have the desire or ability to instruct what others find clever and witty? No. Do I think certain human boundaries of decency ought to be in place in the name of respect? Yes.

Guess it falls under the "do unto others" proviso in my estimation.

Here's what happened when my brother took his life "accidentally on purpose" by courting death NIC. Rather than say "died unexpectedly at his home on the 29th of December" the Boston Globe wrote "died under questionable circumstances" in my brother's obituary.

Here's the thing: I found my brother after there was no one to bring him back from his sexual experimentation (do NOT try this at home). So when I read that vile obit in the Boston Globe I realized that once I was back at Deerfield I was going to have to "explain away" that phrase 'died under questionable circumstances' since the Coroner was trying to save the family from substantially more grief by disclosing pubically the means by which my brother exited this planet.

So in my own way I know what this sort of insensitity does.

In the larger picture I began this thread to see where people stood on propriety and good taste when it comes to respect. I see now too.

Do I like it? No.

It's akin to me to getting one's "kicks" knocking over gravestones.

Not funny.