Billionaire politicians are out of touch.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
One is Mayor Bloomberg in NYC, he wants a congestion pricing plan in NYC and to create tunnel lanes for the rich.

Another problem is NJ Governor Corzine. He wants to raise tolls so that in 14 years they will have gone up 800% and then wants to raise them 4% a year up to 75 years.

He thinks that this is the answer to the Billions of $$$ deficit. He said in his speech that pigs will fly before he can fix the deficit thru budget cuts.

In 14 years driving form one end of the NJ Turnpike will cost $45 instead of $6.50.

14 years ago the Parkway was only 25 cents or maybe 35 cents (I don't remember when it went up) but in 14 years it will be $2.80. It will actually be $5.60 because you only pay it in one direction. There is a part of the parkway in Union county where you have to pay the toll to get onto route 78, but you don't go on the parkway you just exit to the right.

If I am still here when the next election for Governor comes I am voting Republican.

For Federal election I think I will always be a Democrat.

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
One is Mayor Bloomberg in NYC, he wants a congestion pricing plan in NYC and to create tunnel lanes for the rich.He thinks that this is the answer to the Billions of $$$ deficit. He said in his speech that pigs will fly before he can fix the deficit thru budget cuts.

Bloomberg. There's something about him I just can't stand, probably that is that he is out of touch. But he is right, so far I can't think of any budget deficit that has been closed by cuts. When the cuts affect maintenance and upkeep of federal or state property, that usually results in very expensive and very urgent repairs in the future.

If I am still here when the next election for Governor comes I am voting Republican.

With me, it absolutely depends on the programs. I have flipped my vote three times in the past four elections, so there will be no guarantee. It depends on the programs and the candidates.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Bloomberg. There's something about him I just can't stand, probably that is that he is out of touch. But he is right, so far I can't think of any budget deficit that has been closed by cuts. When the cuts affect maintenance and upkeep of federal or state property, that usually results in very expensive and very urgent repairs in the future.

Absolutely right. The more luxury we civicly demand, the worse the deficit gets.

Here in Seattle we are facing a huge hunk of money going out to repair the Alaskan Way Viaduct. Because it was for all intents forgotten for years, it is now at a point of needing to be torn down and completely replaced at a cost of several million dollars. Where does the money come from if taxes get voted down?

I'm with you Claire. Politicians need to come to the table with some real money solving plans that are feasible and acceptable by the public. There are major coporations in this city who rely on some of these civic luxuries. Rather than cutting them breaks to beef up their earnings, get them to kick in on some of the necessary work needing to be done.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
We have a dangerous bridge in NJ. The Pulaski skyway. It has the same design as the Minneapolis bridge but it is 35 years older and much longer, it goes over a roadway and is not just a bridge over a river. The only saving grace is that trucks are not allowed on it.

These politicians need to find out how we got into this fiscal mess and stop the wasteful spending.

Damian Johnson

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
ALL politicians are out of touch - regardless of their wealth

Thats my more people vote on an annual ongoing basis on TV game and chance to become a celebrity shows, compared to political polls

We need to change the way we do politics and allow phone in TV linked polls - and make it more gameshow like with celeb inputs etc

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Money tends to insulate you from the harsher realities of life. When you have plenty of money it's easy to say money doesn't buy you happiness but I don't think people who've got lots of money could ever understand the reality of people who live in abject poverty - not knowing where your next meal is coming from or if you'll have a roof over your head tomorrow are issues they might say they understand but I don't think they do.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
One is Mayor Bloomberg in NYC, he wants a congestion pricing plan in NYC and to create tunnel lanes for the rich.

Another problem is NJ Governor Corzine. He wants to raise tolls so that in 14 years they will have gone up 800% and then wants to raise them 4% a year up to 75 years.

He thinks that this is the answer to the Billions of $$$ deficit. He said in his speech that pigs will fly before he can fix the deficit thru budget cuts.

In 14 years driving form one end of the NJ Turnpike will cost $45 instead of $6.50.

14 years ago the Parkway was only 25 cents or maybe 35 cents (I don't remember when it went up) but in 14 years it will be $2.80. It will actually be $5.60 because you only pay it in one direction. There is a part of the parkway in Union county where you have to pay the toll to get onto route 78, but you don't go on the parkway you just exit to the right.

For Federal election I think I will always be a Democrat.

Climbing on my soapbox:

This is why we need to invest in better, faster, cleaner and more consistent public transportation.

Private transport is expensive and burdensome to the environment and humanity, especially in places as urbanized as the NE megalopolis.

<Clears throat and steps back down>

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
...so far I can't think of any budget deficit that has been closed by cuts. When the cuts affect maintenance and upkeep of federal or state property, that usually results in very expensive and very urgent repairs in the future.

So true.

But there's a certain segment of the population, those at the high end of the spectrum who historically benefit disproportionately from tax cuts, that just doesn't give a rip if social services fall apart. They live in private gated communities, play golf on private courses, belong to exclusive country clubs, travel in private jets and their kids attend private schools.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If FDR is any indication, people born with a silver spoon in their mouth who never had to work for their money are usually the ones most liberal on spending it for social equality.