Billionaires Give It Away

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by exwhyzee, Aug 4, 2010.

1. exwhyzee

Gold Member

A group of forty wealthy families and individuals with billion-dollar values have signed a pledge to give at least half their wealth to charity, either now, in the future, or at the time of their death. Funding goes to the charity of the donor's choice. This is a part of a broader initiative to encourage "everyday people" to increase their giving to charitable organizations. Other initiatives will encourage people to give 20 percent of their personal wealth to charity.

Read more Here.

Does this pledge inspire you to give to charitable organizations, or are you inspired to give more that you currently give? Would you give 20% away?

What kinds of charities do you support? Health? Environmental? Arts? Educational? Social?

2. exwhyzee

Gold Member

Oh...and how big is your wang?

3. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    My lack of transport and tiny-slim earnings preclude much more than some volunteering at a local food bank for those living with HIV/AIDS. My last bit of generosity (back "in season" when I could almost really afford it comfortably) was to donate two night's full earnings (about $250) to help keep the rent paid on a fellow employee who was going through cancer treatments and wasn't able to work his schedule; it was something all the employees of the bar did.

His apartment remained paid for until he succumbed about three months ago.

ETA: I throb just shy of 8 X 6.

4. ronin001

Gold Member

Albums:
    I cant afford to donate 20% of my take home income. I do what I can when i can. In NewYork between the beggers, homeless and con artists pretending to be homeless or in need, I probably do hand quite a bit if i ever added it up in a single year.

And size I never Measured

5. whatireallywant

Gold Member

I was very happy to hear this - such a nice contrast to the "I got mine" mentality I usually hear about. Goes to show that there really are rich people who care about other people and not just how much MORE money they can accumulate.

My financial situation right now is pretty dire, so unfortunately I can't do any donations - I may have to rely on donations from others, in fact, for hopefully a SHORT time. I can donate time and have thought about volunteering for serving meals to the homeless. However, my time is also at a premium as I have to spend a lot of time job hunting.

And as for the "second" question, it doesn't apply in my case. :biggrin1:

6. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm in the financial shitter right now (work a full time job and live well below the poverty level), so donating funds is not even in the question. However, next year, I'm donating $5 a paycheck to United Way. I do try to volunteer when I can, which admittedly isn't as often as I should.

7. luka82

Gold Member

I support the big dicks, ain`t that enough Ex? :biggrin1:

8. DasLeezard

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    If I had that kind of cash, I'd finally be able to pay off the loan sharks.

9. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Part of my donations are included with the car show fees.
    I could not donate 20% of my income.

We have many "Organizations" here begging for money too, and most don't need it.
    Many are phony, so I am hesitant to donate as the funds rarely find their way to the cause.

10. exwhyzee

Gold Member

How would you all feel as the beneficiaries of a billionaires estate if half was given away? Is this a good practice in order to avoid the creation of more Paris Hiltons?

PS - Thanks for the wang sizes... *takes notes*

11. luka82

Gold Member

Whats wrong with Paris??? :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

12. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    The Paris Hilton sucks.... terrible room service and the decor is gauche. :biggrin: Therefore I am against the creation of more Paris Hiltons.

I don't give to formal, organized charities. I have financially helped an organization in my adopted city that facilitates micro-loans to woman. Every Thursday night I spend 3 hours being the "native English speaker" at the district high school. It's a laugh riot and I get more out of it than the kids.

I create jobs. I don't do it for the sake of charity. I do it for profit, but it benefits many people and their families. Somehow during this recession we have started a new business and hired 42 people. Six of them are 18-24 year old guys who are learning a trade that they can use for life. We can grow more this year, but we need a bigger building.

It ain't size of your wang, it's what you do with that's important. :wink:

Draft saved Draft deleted