Biologic imperative for females to pick a partner

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Interesting thread, Wildguschaz. I do think it more likely that there were two or three women who trusted each other to one man. A woman who has just had a baby (or in her last trimester) cannot hold up her end of the bargain (sex) and also may not be so attractive to the man. I think it likely that sisters or cousins were willing to share the protection and provisions from one man, just to insure that a younger, more accessible woman could not lead the man away from his family. While one or two of the women gave their full attention to a new baby, or waddled around too pregnant for sex, or too tender from PMS or a menstrual period, there would be another woman who was sexually available, and loyal to the family.

Wyldgusechaz

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm not saying that's an indisputable fact. That's just the theory.

As for Western Christian society's domination, you might want to check out Guns, Germs, and Steel (man, I'm a regular book club over here) for an excellent explanation of why this came to be. In a nutshell, the author argues that the initial environment of the birthplace of Western society, the Fertile Crescent, was much richer in food and livestock resources than anywhere else, and that this advantage gave the Western world a huge head start. Successful agriculture led to food surpluses which led to thinkers and inventors having time to think and invent rather than being forced to grow their own food, which led to superior technology and strategies for using it. With these superior elements (with a lot of help from epidemic diseases that developed as a result of having close-packed city populations and to which most native societies had no immunity) they went on to conquer the world. In the book, monogamy doesn't figure into it too heavily, but I agree that it probably played a part.

I read G,S,G. He is full of shit and anyone with some credibility has savaged that book. He has also written another piece of junk science about ecological collapse. He said the American bison is undomesticable but i live about 1/4 mile from a bison herd of some 1000 head.

AlteredEgos premise about a couple females to one male does have merit,IMO.

espreggels

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I read G,S,G. He is full of shit and anyone with some credibility has savaged that book. He has also written another piece of junk science about ecological collapse. He said the American bison is undomesticable but i live about 1/4 mile from a bison herd of some 1000 head.

Interesting. Could you point me toward some of that criticism? [Edited: Never mind, found some.]

Your point about the bison is a good one, although I might point out that it's only with the aid of modern technology that bison have been brought under control. Native Americans never accomplished that feat over thousands of years. And they're genetically identical to wild bison, so you could make the argument that they haven't really been domesticated in the true sense like pigs or cattle. But I'm probably splitting hairs, and at any rate I'm no expert, as you can tell.

Now, back to penises!