'Bionic eyes' give the blind hope

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hmm, no pun intended I can see where this could lead!

The first UK operations have been carried out to implant "bionic eyes" into blind patients with a hereditary disease affecting the retina.

An artificial retinal device has been successfully implanted into the eyes of two blind patients as part of a clinical study at Moorfields Eye Hospital in London.

The trial aims to restore a basic level of useful vision to people suffering severe blindness due to retinitis pigmentosa (RP), a group of inherited eye diseases that affects the retina.

The technology consists of a tiny camera and transmitter mounted in a pair of glasses.

The camera transmits a wireless signal to an ultra-thin electronic receiver and electrode panel that are implanted in the eye and attached to the retina.

'Bionic eyes' give the blind hope - Yahoo! News UK

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
I've heard about the work on this. Apparently, one of the biggest obstacles they're facing is with adults who have been blind their entire life. Their brains never learned to process basic images, so there's a bit of a wall with learning facial expressions and making sense of motion.

alex8.5

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I sincerely hope i see the day where we can get rid of blindness and deafness, if these people choose to see and hear of course. i could not imagine not being able to listen to music, unless I would have been born deaf. Great strides in the medical world.