Bipartisanship in the health care reform process? Not exactly

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SilverTrain, Feb 16, 2010.

1. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
  2. maxcok

Gold Member

More evidence of those 'divergent worlds' I guess.

Maybe it's time to drop the willow branches and pick up the swords.

3. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

This is a good one.

First, here is the 'Demand:'

If the President intends to present any kind of legislative proposal at this discussion, will he make it available to members of Congress and the American people at least 72 hours beforehand?

Wow, they really slammed that home didn't they? Almost looked like a threat.

And here is the 'attack for not posting it'

"A productive bipartisan discussion should begin with a clean sheet of paper"

Wow, another forceful threat.

Eh, the suggestion of a clean sheet of paper merely suggests that pork and special interests from the previous bill should be discarded and in order to create a workable bill they need to go back to the drawing board.

4. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

It's a pretty way to say, "Kill the bill and start over".
    All the obstructionists did was grab a thesaurus and change the look of the sentence, but the context remains exactly the same. Nothing new here... and no, we're not "starting over". You don't have to start from scratch to make revisions.

Offers to get suggestions from Senate Obstructionists to make Health Care a bipartisan bill have been made for over a year now. Senators like John Boehner and Jon Kyl have been complaining that the president has not made any attempt to make the discussion open forum. But even after Obama gave the obstructionists an invitation to the White House, they complained even more. Now, Boehner doesn't know if it's "a trap", claiming he doesn't know how big the room is or if the whole thing is just a setup. Bullshit.

The blatant hypocrisy & obstructionism doesn't end at the Health Care Debate either. How about the attempts at making a Bipartisan Deficit Commission? Something that seven Republican Senators supported which included Ensign and McCain? As soon as Obama said he supported it, these seven Republicans voted AGAINST IT. Same thing on a Pay-As-You-Go bill that had strong support from McCain, Snow and two other Republicans... that is, until Obama said he supported it. McCain has also rescinded his support on the Climate Change bill, Immigration Reform and repealing DADT Bill after he stated he was for these things.

These cries about bipartisanship are bullshit. All the Republican Obstructionists are doing is playing a game of stall tactics, hoping that the current administration and Congress get nothing done. How else could they completely change their minds about legislation they once supported? You can say that it's about the "pork", but then why did Senator Shelby attempt to block 70 nominations in an attempt to get a couple of earmarks himself?

The writing is on the wall. Everyone knows the bullshit... and this is just the tip of the iceberg.

#4 B_VinylBoy, Feb 16, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  5. B_Mister Buildington

Agreed.

6. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

I can't believe the people that belong to these parties allow their members (much less defend their right) to engage in such spiteful and divisive behavior. Certainly, this is on both sides, but why aren't Republicans up in arms that their primary role in government has devolved into that of obstruction and revenge artists?

Seriously. What do people think could possibly be the outcome of trying to dominate and destroy a group, either group, that represents the political leanings of half the country? That saying about digging two graves comes to mind. :no:

7. BF2K

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    vinylboy, you seem like such an intelligent dude, why do you spread such BS in here? READ MY LIPS, the Obama administration promised transparency, promised 72 hours to review each bill before congress, promised CSPAN of Healthcare debate - what have we seen - diddleyscuat (SP)

8. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Sorry, I won't read your lips when it's your ass that's doing the talking. Try again. :rolleyes:

9. gymfresh

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The GOP is willing to discuss healthcare reform. It's just that their approach is predicated on some goals and assumptions that are either impractical or entirely inhumane. Healthcare is not like buying a car. It's like education -- a basic level must be provided to all in the interest of the general welfare, but you can buy as much specialized and additional as you like.

It seems the Republicans' articles of faith are:

1) The government can have no role. The private sector will sort this all out.
    2) Unfettering and deregulating insurance companies and HMOs will lead to more competition, more choices, lower prices and more people covered.
    3) You should pay as you go. If you have an expensive condition to treat, you should pay a lot more. If it's so much more than you can afford, you should have thought twice before getting in that accident/sleeping with that person/eating that food or living next to that toxic dump/high voltage wire. Tap out family and friend resources before asking for a public handout.
    4) People with preƫxisting conditions belong in high-risk pools and away from decent people with jobs, or innocent people will pay more.
    5) To the extent the Congress gets involved in shaping changes to healthcare, its overriding guidance is that someone (individuals or companies) must have more opportunities to make money off of reform. No additional cash in private pockets, no go. A goldmine, or at least a new market, must be created.

Ask most Britons, Canadians, Australians or Argentines about these planks (just to choose from several continents), and you'll hear very cogent arguments that a rational, sustainable national healthcare plan cannot be predicated on these principles. They're not only economically unworkable, they're immoral. The concept of NIMBY has no place in a society's healthcare picture.

10. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Everybody spell it...
    H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-T-E-S

Even if both parties are guilty of this from time to time, you gotta admit that the current bullshit from the Republicans is just astounding. Thank God for the internet, huh?

11. FRE

FRE
    Gold Member

Albums:
    I wish that I didn't have to say it, but as others have said, the Republican party (of which I am almost ashamed to admit that I'm a member) has become the party of NO.

The Republican Party has accused the president and the Democrats of rushing the health care bill through. That total nonsense!! The Republican Party cannot get away with that folderol. It took over one year to get it through. If one counts previous administrations, it actually took decades.

12. maxcok

Gold Member

Which begs the question . . . :confused:

Nearly 100 years since Teddy Roosevelt said, "No country can be strong if its people are sick and poor." A Republican by the way, back when the party stood for something more than moral hypocrisy and corporate greed.

13. StormfrontFL

Gold Member

Albums:
    :beerchug2:Wow! A real rational moderate Republican? You are a vanishing breed.

14. FRE

FRE
    Gold Member

Albums:
    There are a few of us. I figure that being a Republican gives me a bit more influence when I attack the party's positions and reprehensible behavior.

In 2006, I was at the annual meeting of the Log Cabin Republican Club in Denver. I was shocked to learn that they had a Ronald Reagan award!! They tried to make it look as though many Republican politicians supported gay rights. A very few do, but obviously they are in a minority. Interestingly, sen. Barry Goldwater favored letting gay men and women serve in the armed forces.

15. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

We could use plenty more Republicans like FRE on the board.
    It would make political discussions more interesting and thought provoking, that's for sure.

16. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

^I'm considering re-registering Republican before this month's deadline for primaries in my state, but only because this state has closed primaries, and the Dems that look to win their primaries are fine by me.(the Reps OTOH, need all of the help they can get to jettison the radical teabagger types)... I was a registered Republican for 12 years but gave up the ghost before the '04 election.

17. dreamer20

Gold Member

The health care debate was transparent and debated for over a year. Had you watched the health care debate on C-Span, in the media, and paid attention to our own in house focus and discussion of the ongoing debate, you wouldn't have made your uninformed comments.

http://www.lpsg.org/156488-nancy-lies-again.html

Richard Cohen - When 'reconciliation' equals leadership - washingtonpost.com

#17 dreamer20, May 9, 2010
    Last edited: May 9, 2010
Draft saved Draft deleted