Birth Control Pill & Period

TonyMars

Just Browsing
Media
me and my girlfriend just had a baby so now started taking birth control for the first time.. she is taking loestrin fe

she started about two weeks ago, when her period first started.. and to this day, two weeks later her period is still going on.. in the past her period has never lasted more than 5 days.. shes on her 14th day as of tomorrow

is this normal?

Hippie Hollow Girl

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
How long has it been since she had the baby? Or maybe I should ask, how old the baby is?

All women are different and my children are older, but I seem to remember that after I had my babies, I had bleeding for a long time. Some women don't resume having periods until after they quit breastfeeding. Some women bleed for like 4 weeks after they have a baby. Depends on hormones from what I understand. But if you think she is hemorrhaging make sure she gets seen as soon as possible.

I have always heard that you are supposed to wait 6 weeks after a woman has had
a baby to resume sexual intercourse. So, if the baby is over 6 weeks old and your girlfriend's period hasn't gone back to a normal for her type cycle, I would advise you to have her talk to her dr.. She may need to switch to a different brand of birth control. Sometimes it takes a while to find the right one for each person. I know I wouldn't be happy with 14 days of bleeding while being on the pill. I would be complaining.

Hippie Hollow Girl

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Your girl needs to tell her dr.. The pill is supposed to regulate her cycle. (Or at least that is what I would think it was supposed to do.) She especially needs to tell her dr. if there is any large blood clots. I guess that is a sign that the birth control dosage isn't right. There are lots of choices for birth control pills and birth control options these days. I remember using something called Ortho Tricyclean......something like that. It was a low dose birth control pill. It made my cycle shorter than what it normally was when I wasn't on the pill.

But as I said, all women are different and your girl may have to try a few to find out what works best for her cycle and hormones.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I second this advice. The dosage isn't correct. Usually bcp will lessen a period, not aggravate it. And if she is breastfeeding, her hormone levels are not going to be at her usual levels At All. Get to the doc.