Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm not sure how trustworthy the article is. It says this:

The FDA ruffled feathers and clotted up some veins earlier this year when a panel of experts who just so happen to have ties to Bayer narrowly decided to continue allowing Yaz and Yasmin to be prescribed to women, even though the drugs have both been shown to significantly elevate risk of blood clots in the legs and lungs, which can lead to possible death. Johnson & Johnson has been accused of hiding similar clot risks faced by users of their Ortho-Evra patch.

and it IS true that those birth control products increase the risk of blot clots. But so does any other product containing estrogen, birth control or not.

So I'm reluctant to swallow the rest of the article as written.

Still, it's rather scary all the same.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Holy crap that article scared me!!! I called my GYN and she immediately said "you're ok." So my BC wasn't on the recall list, but still when you put your trust in a little pill.... I can't even imagine having a baby at 40!!!

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm not sure how trustworthy the article is. It says this:

and it IS true that those birth control products increase the risk of blot clots. But so does any other product containing estrogen, birth control or not.

So I'm reluctant to swallow the rest of the article as written.

Still, it's rather scary all the same.

The FDA recall is very real.

Pfizer Announces Voluntary Nationwide Recall of Lo/Ovral-28 and Norgestrel/Ethinyl Estradiol Tablets Due to Possibility of Inexact Tablet Counts or Out of Sequence Tablets

People who get paid by the pharmaceutical companies that make the drugs shouldn't also sit on the government panels that determine if they are safe for public consumption. It's unethical. I believe that a lot of the kerfuffle was over that.

From what I understand, Yaz has a higher risk than normal birth control pills. I don't believe that there was any dispute over whether normal birth control pills also cause clots but the frequency and risk level of each, Yaz being comparatively more dangerous. I think that article failed to clarify that. Here's one from the New York Times about how studies have found Yaz and Yasmin to be more dangerous than traditional birth control pills.

http://prescriptions.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/26/study-yaz-has-higher-risks-of-blood-clots/

Last edited:

spoon

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Holy crap that article scared me!!! I called my GYN and she immediately said "you're ok." So my BC wasn't on the recall list, but still when you put your trust in a little pill.... I can't even imagine having a baby at 40!!!

my sister was 41 when she had her 2nd son. pregnancy wasn't expected. she was a nervous wreck. joey is now 12 and he totally rocks.