Birth Control Questions

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by Long&Thick, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Long&Thick

Long&Thick New Member

I've been hanging out with a girl for a few months now. I made a thread about her in another section, but this is a separate issue. She's started taking birth control pills about a week and a half ago. Since then I've noticed DRASTIC changes in her attitude, mindset, and the way she functions. Is the pill that much of a hormone swing that it can change that much in a woman's body?

We've hung out this whole semester, I used to be able to make her laugh, have a good time, and spend a lot of time with her without any problems. Now every 15 minutes she's yelling at me for some reason. For instance, we were at the university cafeteria in line for a sandwich when she asked if I've ever seen "The Rock", I told her no. She paused for a minute and said "I think you should leave..." In a loud and serious connotation. What was that for?

I was in love with this girl for the longest time this year, but she's already involved. We fooled around a bunch and since then I've sort of stopped things. I've not been hanging around her much because A) I don't want to be around her when she's mean like that. and B) I need to move on and try and date other women, since she's already taken. Would she be angry at this for some reason?

I'm utterly at a loss of what to think here, I hate to sound like a selfless pig and say that it was just her time of the month. But how long does that last, a few days or so? I'm not experienced in every art form when it comes to the ways of the woman. I need some help with this, If it keeps up the rest of this semester, I'm just going to give up on her. I'm tempted to clal her out about her attitude, but I'm afraid of the consequences. Can anyone shed some light on this situation?

P.S If it's any help in finding an answer, she's VERY petite, I think that's a factor as well. My mother said that some girls handle the pill differently than others.

2. B_625girth

B_625girth New Member

sure it's not just her time of the month?

3. londonhanger

londonhanger Active Member

Albums:
    I experienced a similar evil reaction years back with a long term girlfriend. She knew it was the pill causing her stange behaviour and returned to the doctor who tried an alternate brand of pill, this improved things almost 100% but did cause her to gain a little weight. I can't recall the brand she used.

Personally, I took matters into my own hands last week and had a vasectomy on Friday. Probably not suitable for you right now but something to consider years down the line.

4. Long&Thick

Long&Thick New Member

That was a thought of mine, but that shouldn't last for longer than a week right? London, you mentioned your girlfriends weight gain. My friend has been wanting to eat a ton lately. Whenever we are at lunch she eats a fair bit (which I'm happy to see because she used to eat nothing) yet she yells at herself for wanting to eat. I pointed out her eating habits one night, which consisted of Ice cream, a brownie, two cookies and maybe a chicken breast. She didn't get mad, just let it slide. I suggested eating better foods, but she's yet to take my advice.

5. D_Ellerby Eatsprick

D_Ellerby Eatsprick New Member

I don't know what form of BC your lady friend went on. Back in my early 20s, I went on Depo Provera, and for me, it was that much of a drastic change - physically, emotionally and mentally.

Physically, even though I was active and ate healthy and was pretty heathy, I gained 50 lbs in a short set of 3-4 months, which is by far too rapid. I got these horrid red stretch marks on the inside of my thighs, and my belly went from "flat" to having belly fat. :/

Emotionally - I was on a roller coaster. I actually even worried if I had become bipolar. I'd be happy next then it'd take something MINOR to ruin my mood. The purpose of Depo Provera was to not get your period, and even though I didn't get my period, I still experience PMS symptoms which seemed to make my moods much worse, and then after having a period that never happened, my moods got better (but never back to normal). I was just incredibly moody. I would get upset over the stupidest things, that I would never have worried about.

Mentally - When I got to that time of the month, that I would be supposed to have, I felt suicidal, would threaten to cut myself, I'd break up with my boyfriend at that time but he could never tell if it was the actual break up or if I was just saying things.

I had my "normal" days where I thought to myself - what's wrong with me. I couldn't figure out why I was like this because I really hadn't felt like myself. I had only taken 4 shots of Depo, meaning it was not a good year for me.

Shortly my bf and I broke up and I decided well, I'm not having sex for a while, and decided to go off Depo. I slowly lost the weight, and the stretch marks on my thighs disappeared. I no longer had these maniac symptoms around the "time of the month" that I was supposed to have. I was not emotional about things nor did I get upset over stupid things. I mentioned this to a friend and she said the same thing happened to a gf of hers, who also took Depo and that's when I chalked it up to Depo being the cause.

Since then I have never gone back on BC. I recall about 2-3 years ago, they took Depo off the market (here in Canada) because of the serious implications it had.

Anyway, sorry for the long story, but yes, likely the BC could be the cause. The problem with prescribed drugs is that it's a one size all. I'm 5'3 and it's likely the dosage that they gave me was too much for me. Likely the dosage your lady friend has is too high. It could be anything you know. It may not even be the BC causing your lady friend to react like this. The BC could have triggered something else psychophysiological.

6. dolfette

Gold Member

i've had bc pills that turned me psycho.
    depo was evil for me.

7. Wish-4-8

Gold Member

When i was reading this, the first thought that came into my head was Bipolar.
    That is exactly how it is. A smile in one sentence, then an angry wrath in the very next.

But its probably the hormones.

8. Long&Thick

Long&Thick New Member

This makes me feel bad for her. I have a feeling that when she visits her boyfriend, things will get messy. She has cheated on him with me, she's been hiding that for awhile now. Now you add in the way she acts while on BC? It doesn't sound too good. I hope she works this out in the near future. She is definitely a different person while on this medication. Would it be a bad idea that I mention this to her? Or should I just let her go, and distance myself even more.

9. londonhanger

londonhanger Active Member

Albums:
    I can't believe just how popular the BC pill is among women in the UK given it provides zero protection against STD's. I've hooked up with women on several occaisons who've said not to worry about condoms when I got them out because they were on the pill. Scary stuff.

10. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    You would be doing her a huge favor by suggesting that she talk to her doctor about drastic changes in her mood, demeanor and appetite. You should also distance your self further and pursue someone who is available.

Different brands of "the pill" have made me feel and behave differently. I always have to take the lowest dose available to avoid crying over every little emotion. I have yet to find one that didn't cause weight gain. Last time I was on it, I was jogging 30 miles a week, and going to the gym four times a week. I didn't gain any weight, but I was 15 pounds overweight, and didn't lose any weight either.

11. Long&Thick

Long&Thick New Member

I've started to. I am beginning to talk to another girl who I think is gorgeous, but I'm shy and so is she. I'm taking things slowly to see how it'll work. Our universities winter break is coming up and I think I'll just lay low until then, just texting her, saying "hi", small things. Then ask her out once the second semester begins.

However, I wonder if this girls mood swings and what not are only with me. She did say to me one day during lunch that whenever she's around me, she gets mad. I don't have the slightest idea why this could be. I wonder what I did. I sure would like to know.

12. D_Ellerby Eatsprick

D_Ellerby Eatsprick New Member

Only thing you can do is ask her if you did something. If you did nothing, then it's really is her problem and not yours anymore.

If you guys share mutual friends / acquaintances, you could ask them if they notice drastic changes in her. And you could suggest to her if she has noticed the drastic changes in her and ask her if she has seen a doctor or plan to.

13. Rommette

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    well, i've been on depo (the shot), nuva ring, and both types of IUDs...no difference in my attitude. Oh yeah, I did gain like 50 lbs

14. Long&Thick

Long&Thick New Member

Everyone who's taken these pills, shots, etc. have talked about a weight gain. Is this uncontrollable? If so, then this girl is going to go crazy. She thinks she's fat at 120 lbs. She's so petite she has to buy some of her bras and what not in the kids section. She's VERY self conscious about the way she looks. Maybe her parents were right, they warned her about these things, yet she thought she knew better. All to appease some guy..it's a shame :frown1:

15. DNxxl

DNxxl Active Member

Albums:
    BC pills - etc. really do have a major impact. It's the BC. My long term girlfriend - 7+ years - has experienced similar stuff with all types of pills etc. She was on yazmine(?) for a long time and that was much better than any other before - we thought there wasn't any effects but it still had a cumulative effect of making her depressed - so much so that we really didn't even think it was the pill. So she finally went off it about 6 months ago and the change is drastic. She is back to normal now.

BC sucks. Because when you finally find someone you really want to be with long term - she gets on the pill - then she changes - gains weight which makes her even more upset - and she losses her sex drive on top of all of that!

16. Principessa

Gold Member

17. Notthe7

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    How to describe the way birth control makes you feel? Well, I could just about write a fucking dissertation. Birth control changes everything about you. Most women don't know that birth control and other medications are not really monitored for dosage. They prescribe a GENERIC, common dosage and hand it out like fucking hot cakes. Every girl I know is on the exact same dosage of YAZ. My friend was switched from a specific method of birth control when her moods became to severe that she began to lock herself up in the house. When the switched her a low dose BC, she got pregnant.

Birth Control pills and other methods are still extremely new in the world of medicine and essentially BARBARIC.

I can relate to this girl. I've changed dramatically since I began birth control. I've been OFF and on for years now. I started with Seasonale, which made my blood pressure sky rocket. I had to get off it. I then tried the patch.. which made me gain about 15 lbs. After the patch I considered having an IUD.. but the DR's were really against me getting one. Apparently UNLESS you've had a baby... they don't want you on it. AGAIN men controlling WOMEN'S reproductivity and bodies. I finally found YAZ... which is not only fucking expensive.... but has done some negative shit to me. I love it because I've not gained a single pound.. infact I've gone done a jean size.

The negative impacts: I have no sexual drive. I become depressed almost without notice. I cry much, much more. Right before my period I become Satan's spawn. I can control my emotions but it does make you feel like you're nuts. I get extremely dizzy and loose my balance since I've been on it as well. Sometimes my vision will go black.

Tell her feelings.
    And tell her to talk to her DR.

I wish you the best of luck. Just know that birth control is dangerous... and what she is feeling is real...she's not pathological.

18. EllieP

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh gosh, I tried to put the whole Depo thing out of my mind! What a horror! Yes, I was evil, pure evil on that. Probably why I stayed single so long after my divorce. Sadly, my daughter bore the brunt of my psycho behavior. Worst six months of my life.

19. Empathizer

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I know everyone's saying evil things about Yaz and Yasmin these days, but Yasmin is part of what saved me from literally having a partial psychotic break every month. If you do what the package says and go to the doctor again in a little while for a heart and potassium check (instead of ignoring your symptoms/side effects like the women who got sick from it did), it is a God's-honest-truth life saver for people like me with genuine PMDD. Plus, no more huge deep zits on my back scarring me and making me cry even more. Little zits,sure, but I've got Clearasil and Bare Minerals Foundation for those.

20. tasteslikejellyjam

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    all pills have different hormone cocktails...
    she really needs to discuss these side effects with her physician...
    the weight gain is also a reaction to being on the wrong cocktail...
    I only suggest depo if you like being riddled with tumors after prolonged use...

Draft saved Draft deleted