Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was on the Tricyclen low dose pill and it made me crazy horny.

And yes, birth control is used to help get rid of cysts on the ovary. I have been there and done that. I always took my pills in the evening. I kept it right next to my toothbrush. (It worked for me)

I have fibrocystic breasts (lumpy breasts) so I didn't know if the breast tenderness was caused by that, the birth control or whenever I overdid it on caffeine. Or all 3. But I did notice that when I drank too much diet Coke. Yawza the old boobies would get extra sensitive.

As far as weight gain, I think it depends on the person. I have always been plump so I didn't notice any change with my weight. I stayed the same size.

BRpope

1st Like
Media
My GF has been on the depo-subQ provera 104 shot for 9 months now. This is the new depo shot which has 33% less hormone and uses a smaller needle. She just got her 4 shot (you only have to go in every 3 months and you have a two week window you can go in). One nice benifit is that if she starts within the first few days of her period, its is effective right away.

The only side-effects for her was her breast grew a little bit and it always seems that she gets super horny about a week after her shot and it last (for her) until she is about due for her next. She has had no weight gain, but weight loss (about 5-7lbs as of this last appointment).

The other nice thing is it also pretty much has stopped her periods too. For the first 6 months, she spotted every once in a while, but for the last 3 she has had nothing.

At planned parenthood, the cost of the shot is 35$ every 3 months. So, in my opinion, for the cost of condoms for 3 months having sex daily, it is well worth it.

.z

Someone had told her about getting shots instead of a pill. I'll have to research it more, but I dont know if she'd like that. But it does seem like a lot less hassle and cost as well. But she is afraid of needles so it may be a problem.

She's gonna ask all this at the doctor's on monday so we'll see...

RubberHarley

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My wife did a lot of research on The Pill before taking them. We used condoms and the pill at the same time. When she went on the pill she became a lot more sexually active. I think it was because we were using two birth control methods and she felt more relaxed and didn't fear getting PG. I don't think there was any change due to her taking them, except wanting to get in bed more!

BRpope

1st Like
Media
Ok, we went today. Talked to the doctor for a while. I'll give you guys what she said,

progesterone only pills (mini-pill) would not work out for her since she has pretty sever periods and a lot of bleeding. The doctor said she would probably bleed everyday.

she said because of my gf's size she would only allow for one of the low dosages. We ended with loestrin24fe. She also recommended yaz, but she said that nearly all of her patients on that have at least a bit of loss of sex drive, which my gf did not want to hear. She said that noone on loestrin24fe which she recommended the most for her have had any loss of sex drive which si good to hear, but not everyone comes back to the doctor if the loose some sex drive.

My gf also asked about orthotricyclin low, but the doctor said because of her severe periods she really wanted her to be on a mono pill.

What do you guy's think, a good choice. Loestrin24fe. Lowest dosage so I hope it works out. Anyone on this?

Oh, she also said my gf should have started yesterday, but told her to take one at 6pm, one at around midnight and that would catch her up.

About the time, the doctor said to then take the pill normally, around 9pm each night after the first 2, but my gf has class from 5-10pm everyday and it usually a lab so she cant take it then. If she takes it earlier around 4-5pm or after around 11-11:30pm will it make much difference? As long as she takes it at the same time each day?

Last edited:

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Thanks for the update Doc. I don't know anything about that pill so I can't comment on the choice.

About the time, the doctor said to then take the pill normally, around 9pm each night after the first 2, but my gf has class from 5-10pm everyday and it usually a lab so she cant take it then. If she takes it earlier around 4-5pm or after around 11-11:30pm will it make much difference? As long as she takes it at the same time each day?

I'd go with what the doctor said for the first month and take it as near 9pm as possible - she can't have a 5 hour class with no breaks. It takes but a moment to pop a pill out of the packet and take a swallow of water. She could do it in the bathroom if she's worried about people seeing and being daft about it. After her first period on the pill when she takes a natural break (I assume this is 21 days on 7 days off) she can adjust to a time of day that suits better. I'd go with earlier and not later - my logic being that if you are due to take a pill at 11pm and forget there is a good chance you will fall asleep without remembering and therefore be maybe 7-8 hours late, however if you are due to take a pill at 4pm and forget you are far more likely to remember well before bedtime and only be a couple of hours late.

Last edited:

BRpope

1st Like
Media
exactly manly, I think aroudn 4-5pm would be best. Her class is actually 4 hours straight, they are labs. I have them too 4 hours each, but different uni and times. I'll try and have her take it at 9pm the first month and then switch to a different/better time.

They are 21 pills and 3 ones with iron, I forgot what the doctor said. But the last 3 are darker/brown.

I just hope she is fine with them since they are the lowest dose they got and the doctor made us both feel very comfortable with them. She prescribes them the most to women similar to my gf and she said none have come back complaining of sex drive issues, while she has numerous on yaz that have complained.

The doctor said the only thing she'd want her to take are yaz or loestrin, since the patch, implant, injection, all have too high of a dose for her. She is 4'11" by the way.

Also, the doc said she'd be nautious after taking them yesterday. But nothing so far, my gf is fine, at least she says so. But she had to get a blood test this morning and was complaing that her tummy hurt since she had to fast...lol.

Khana

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
After reading all of this, I'm now irked at my doctor.

I was on the IUD (intra uterine device) for nearly 2 years, and had a serious drop in libido. It sucked horribly. So then, I go to my new doc (we moved) and mentioned the problem, wanting to get the IUD out (since we'd tried everything else), and go on the pill. So, she prescribed Yasmin. My libido increased marginally, but still a bare fraction of what I used to know.

Now I've gotten fed up with the whole lot, and stopped the pills all together. Hubby doesn't like condoms, but apparently condom sex 5 times a week is a hell of a lot better than sex without a condom 2-3 times a month :p

Still nothing like when I was 17-19. I was a veritable nympho... at least as far as desire went (I had restraint! :p). I wanted sex 2-3 times per day. Hopefully, it comes back all the way... I miss it :(

But yeah, multiple things on here about Yasmin lowering libido. If that was the problem with the IUD, why'd she prescribe this one? -.- Grr.

BRpope

1st Like
Media
ok a little update. Gf is doing great. Nothing wrong so far, no breakthough bleeding or major discomfort. She has noticed that her breasts are a bit tender, usually shortly after taking the pill, but that is it. Its only been a week and a few days, but so far nothing seems wrong at all. Same girl from before...

Also she has decided to take the pill at 10:30 as she gets off of school/lab at 10pm most of the week. She has been a bit late, no more than 45 minutes so far. The doctor said no problem on time, any 24 hr period will do, and that as long as its in that area its fine.

Also some good news on her hpv. Doctor was much happier as the growth on her cervix, i guess the abnormal cells due to the hpv, are smaller. So it looks like her body is fighting it off like most low risk hpvs are. But another problem maybe is that the doctor couldn't feel her uterus/cevis with her finger. She said it was really tense and hard. So she needs an ultrasound in 3 months to check if anything is wrong in there. It may be the cause of why she has a lot of pain in that exact area where it is firm during her periods.

Last edited:

missbec

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Hi, I am not a woman, but I need some answers/advise about birth control.

My gf and I have decided that we need some extra assurance against unwanted pregnancy so birth control pills seem like the logical choice. We are both in college and pregnancy is definitely not on our list.

We use condoms and probably wont stop using them after she begins taking a pill, if only for her assurance. My biggest fear is that she'll have a loss in sex drive, which I see way too often on other boards/medical sites. She has an incredibly high sex drive and I dont want to lose that one bit. Although I believe we need to be using a more effective contraceptive than condoms alone, I am very hesitant to let her take birth control. She is 24 and has never tried it before. She says we just need to find the right one, but all I keep hearing is that it wont matter, she'll lose sex drive, sexual desire, and natural lubrication.

I just want some advice. For instance I know there has to be a lot of women on here taking birth control, so who is using it and has had no effect on their sex drive. And maybe your recommendations on a pill. I am very curious to the real percentage of women that lose any amount of sex drive when on a pill. I might be overstressing this since perhaps only those who have lost sex drive post and complain about it. I'd like to hear some good stories... Perhaps she'll be one of those women who gain sex drive through being assured she wont get pregnant.

How about a non hormonal device such as an IUD? Intrauterine device - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perhaps its more risky and somewhat permanent as you must have it inserted and removed by a doc.

I have one in and definately have no probs. Sex is still the same although periods are heavier but end quicker.

-becky

TugGirl78

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Geez, there are so many differing/personal side effects from using birth control. I've debated wether or not to get on it many times. I try to cut out the caffeine 1 week before I expect a cycle, which helps w/the boob tenderness but does nothing else. I have horrendous cramps & the first few days of a cycle I literally have to stay home because it's so heavy. My doctor has recommended bc to me but being unsure how my body will react, I have yet to go through w/it (I was on Depo provera once & was spotting for a solid 3 months). Perhaps I should just try something else.

db2g

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My GF is strange. We had sex for almost six months before she went on the pill. I thought she was waiting so she could do the proper research but she didn't. Eventually she went on Yaz and the first week was great, I can't even remember how many times we had sex. The next 3 months were the worst of my life. Her drive was less than zero. She was moody, couldn't sleep, even hated me for a while cuz she felt like I pushed her to do it (she was the first to mention the pill), her breasts went up a cup size, she had to work out more to maintain the same weight, it made her ridiculously heavy period less heavy, but she became a total bitch. Every night she would go from yelling at me to crying on my shoulder and apologizing. There were days where should would go crazy if I even metioned another females name and it go so bad that I seriously considered breaking up with her.

Before I did breal with her I made her have a heart to heart with me. After seeing her doctor she realized that she had an emotional breakdown brought on by several factors. The part that relates to this discussion is the fact that we both grew up in extremely religious conservatives families and environments but where as I am a loudmouth who is never afraid to discuss anything with anyone and I had a person to talk to in my mother, she never had anyone to talk to. To her taking the pill was like betraying her beliefs. She has yet to find a medium between biblical orthodoxy and practical living but she has started finding herself and once the air cleared we became 1000x closer.

Since then she has never said no to sex and where as before she never initiated it, now she initiates half the time if not more. I don't know if the pill made her emotional or if things turned into a perfect storm due to the circumstances in her life. The only thing I can recommend is that make sure that your GF is emotionally stable before she goes on the pill and that the lines of communication is good because the pill can alter moods. I hope that helps.