birthday present for her..

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by D_Leotols Toy, Jan 14, 2010.

1. D_Leotols Toy

D_Leotols Toy New Member

So this girl I've known for over 2 years birthday is coming up and normally I'm really good at knowing what to get her, but she hasn't dropped me any clues or I haven't noticed any.. so I was thinking of getting her a $100 gift card to one of her favorite stores that we usually have to drive 6 hours from where we live to go.

she could use it online and I was going to get some movies for her as well.
    Is the gift card considered impersonal even though it's her favorite store or is it a good gift?

2. g_whiz

g_whiz New Member

Albums:
    I don't think its too impersonal. Its obvious you're putting thought into this anyway. Often gift cards are the better way to go if you're not entirely sure what a person would want. This way you're getting her the chance to get whatever she wants at a place she really likes. I think she'll dig it.

3. D_Ellerby Eatsprick

D_Ellerby Eatsprick New Member

uh... why don`t you ask her for a little wishlist? I prefer my family / friends ask me for that because I am very particular about stuff.

4. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I'm sort of anti-gift card. If you have been to the store with her before what are the sort of things she has looked at or commented on? If she has not done this take a look at some of the things that she has bought there before and buy something that would compliment it.(Some stores keep records of what people buy) My advice is get a real gift and wrap it with elaborate paper and ribbons; if she does not love it get a gift receipt and she can exchange it for something else. Bottom line is she gets to open something and hold and feel and look at and appraise that is not a plastic card.

5. dicksavage

dicksavage New Member

Albums:
    Have you ever bought a gift a size too big? Go with the gift card and some flowers.

#5 dicksavage, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  6. Pye

Pye
    Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    What is the relationship?
    Friends? FB's?

A Spa trip, favorite movie dvd (not necessarily a recent release), a Pandora bracelet (leather or silver), and if none of the ideas sounds good...do the gift card to her favorite store but go with her to the store...let her try on stuff and give her input as to what looks good on her (at least to you)...make it a special day.

7. D_Leotols Toy

D_Leotols Toy New Member

Well that's just it, normally I could pick up a hint on things she'd want and I always surprise her with things she had forgotten she even wanted. But this time around, she hasn't mentioned anything really. The store isn't really reachable since it's 6-7 hours away, but me and her both always shop there online.

Her taste is very eccentric hence why I won't even bother trying to pick out something clothes-wise. I was going to get her a movie she's been saying reminded her of her childhood and another one she really liked but had misplaced and wanted to watch.

We're not exactly dating, but more serious than fuck buddies. It's an unofficial official type thing :/

8. DGirl

Gold Member

that is PERFECT!!

She will like it..BUT, give it to her in a card holder with a rose...

9. NotSoDumb_Blonde

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Or wrap it up, you know? Kind of in a box with a ribbon and paper, the rose is a nice touch, and have the gift card nestled inside. Maybe give it to her outside the store? In the car? You are taking her there, right? Or was it just to get online? That might be a bit of a let down, the online thing. Taking her there, then giving her the box all wrapped up ....sweet. Making a day of it...but if you're not serious, serious about her...well, maybe that's too much? But, damn it would be a winner on the romance scale! ;)

10. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

Last birthday my boyfriend sent two dozen roses, some books, and girlie products (MAC stuff). They were very thoughtful and showed he put some time and effort into the selection. A gift card would have also been nice, but maybe a bit generic to me.

I also didn't drop hints and they were a complete surprise.

11. D_Leotols Toy

D_Leotols Toy New Member

Well last night she just mentioned she wanted an expensive shirt from there and jokingly was buy it for me and then was like oh no I feel bad for even saying that, so I'm thinking the gift card will be perfect. Let's not forget it's not the only I'm getting her.

And of course I'm not going to be like oh yea here you go it's a gift card, I believe in a little more romance than that people :p

12. vlls

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It is impersonal. What you need to do is get her the gift card and also get her something else which is cheaper but more meaningful

for example.... i really like animals... especially felines... and my gf got me a zoo membership for christmas :D

13. L_Lynn

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I agree. I think the gift card is fine, but if you really want to make it special, make a day of it with lunch or dinner at a nice place too.

If that feels "too much" or is beyond your budget, go with the movies and just present the gift card in a special way.

Draft saved Draft deleted