Bisexual men sue gay group, claim bias

B_talltpaguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I figured that some of you would have "fun" bickering over this one...

Bisexual men sue gay group, claim bias

By Janet I. Tu
April 20, 2010
The Seattle Times

Read More: Article | Seattle Times Newspaper
Lawsuit: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2010/04/21/2011662904.pdf

Three bisexual men are suing a national gay-athletic organization, saying they were discriminated against during the Gay Softball World Series held in the Seattle area two years ago. The three Bay Area men say the North American Gay Amateur Athletic Alliance in essence deemed them not gay enough to participate in the series.

The lawsuit filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Seattle accuses the alliance of violating Washington state laws barring discrimination. The alliance organizes the annual Gay Softball World Series. Beth Allen, the alliance's attorney, said the lawsuit is unwarranted and that the three plaintiffs "were not discriminated against in any unlawful manner." In any case, Allen said, the alliance is a private organization and, as such, can determine its membership based on its goals. Whether the alliance is public or private will likely have to be determined in court, since the plaintiffs characterize the alliance as a "public accommodation" that's open to the public and uses public softball fields.

The three plaintiffs — Steven Apilado, LaRon Charles and Jon Russ — played on a team called D2 that qualified for the 2008 Gay Softball World Series, which is organized by the alliance. The alliance's rules say that each World Series team can have no more than two heterosexual players. According to the lawsuit, a competing team accused D2 of violating that rule. Each of the three plaintiffs was called into a conference room in front of more than 25 people, and was asked "personal and intrusive questions" about his sexual attractions and desires, purportedly to determine if the player was heterosexual or gay, the lawsuit alleges. The alliance has no category or definition for bisexual or transgender people in its rules, the plaintiff's attorney said.

Rowan Ravenseed

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I think what these men suffered through was not right nor fair and they have the right to sue based on the fact that they were subject to humiliating and intrusive questioning.

Regardless of the sexual preference of these men it is not acceptable to subject any-one to that kind of treatment. Personally I think the rule about limiting the number of heterosexual men to a team is unnecessary and most definitely discriminatory. If a heterosexual person wishes to join a gay sporting team they should be allowed to.

It makes no difference to sporting performance weather you hetero or homo so i see no practical use for that rule.

The only reason i could see for such a rule is to keep the teams most gay orientated so gay people can feel comfortable in the team
(a lot of heterosexual people that don't play sports might not understand this but due to the amount of macho bravado that goes on in hetero locker rooms there is also a certain content of homophobic innuendo) Some how though i doubt any heterosexual or bisexual person willing to join a "gay" team would be overtly homophobic

B_talltpaguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I can't help but wonder though, how does the league know the difference between straight and gay? What do they do when you sign up for the league, stick a dick in your face and see if you respond favorably?

Seriously, I would love to know that!

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Can't help but wonder what the NAGAAA would have to say about other leagues limiting their teams to just two gay or lesbian players each and those players having to face an inquisition?

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
Lawsuits these days are a sad fact of life.

I am working on a business "start-up" for a chain of really good low cost clinics to treat ED.

I am working with several MD's on this and we are wondering what we can do over what is in fact a similar issue.

In general men will not talk to a female about erectile dysfunction. This has in medical practices been seen already over and over again. Men are just not comfortable discussing their sexual failings with a female. This is one subject that has to be on a one to one basis between two males.

We are right now trying to figure out how we can prevent some female from coming in and claiming discrimination for certain positions within this clinic chain. One of the MD's involved with this is in his early 70's and has had a practice in reproductive urology for decades.

In meetings we are having now he has told stories on this subject that will curl one's hair on this and similar subjects.

I have been involved in numerous gay groups over the years. The problem is that some of these individuals make the error in judgment that politically correct "is always correct" for everybody.

Sexual orientation does not make or break a baseball player. The problem is the comfort level of the predominately gay team if some loud mouth with some less than great attitude were to stand in a locker room spewing anti-gay rhetoric and basically staging a "living flame war".

There are so many amateur athletic teams that are completely heterosexual in orientation that one would wonder why any individual would want to do this unless it were just to create problems and look for some kind of "financial reward".

I don't really have the expertise or 100% of the information in this case based on what has been presented. From what I can see individuals have been made "uncomfortable" to say the least and it makes me wonder about the total lack of common sense that this tends entire proceeding tends to indicate.

B_crackoff

Experimental Member
Media
I think straight people should be able to play, too.

It's an outrage I tells ya!

This story is so funny. Maybe they'll have to come on LPSG to see the sexuality ratings people give themselves.

Then again LPSG could be in trouble for not having a 100% Bisexual rating.

And what about all those Asexuals - come on, lets think about them for a change!

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I can't help but wonder though, how does the league know the difference between straight and gay? What do they do when you sign up for the league, stick a dick in your face and see if you respond favorably?

Seriously, I would love to know that!

Tee hee me too, as long as it was a nice fat juicy one! :biggrin1:

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I play in a flag football league in San Diego where there is no sexual orientation quota or what have you. The league specifically prohibits discrimination based on orientation and HIV status, and there are numerous straight guys playing in the league, and a lot of "straight" guys too. The one thing I have to say about a great number of them is that many of said straight guys had this attitude coming in that it would be easy....then they get shocked because us queens can actually throw down and knock them on their asses, minutes after screeching HEEY GUUUUUUUUUUUUURL to friends on the sidelines. The ones on the team that I play on this season are pretty damn good, and take the typical gay banter very well.

MovingForward

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Well in the softball league there is a rating system, so you dont have alex rodriguez on a little league team. There are some standards they have that determine how good you are, and then based on your skill level you can play in certain division.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well in the softball league there is a rating system, so you dont have alex rodriguez on a little league team. There are some standards they have that determine how good you are, and then based on your skill level you can play in certain division.

But that has NOTHING to do with the issue in question. The issue was that they weren't "gay enough", not if they were too good or not good enough to be in said division. One's degree of heterosexuality has no correlation whatsoever with one's skill level.

Sergeant_Torpedo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This happens so often. I read an interewsting thread header and my adrenalin gets pumping and about to launch my own offering; then I read the erudite responses and think: I have nothing to add. Good reaction above.

MovingForward

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Let me clarify, whether straight or not, they were ranked and judged on their skill and are playing in the proper division. They are not giving their team any advantage because all players in their decision should be on the same level.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
It's an outrage I tells ya!

This story is so funny. Maybe they'll have to come on LPSG to see the sexuality ratings people give themselves.

Then again LPSG could be in trouble for not having a 100% Bisexual rating.

And what about all those Asexuals - come on, lets think about them for a change!

Well, Asexual are the MOST dangerous. You have one playing out in left field and when no one is looking it buds and creates a duplicate copy. It's damn hard to keep track of how many you actually have on a team. They're cunning fuckers. :smile: