Bisexual Percentage

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by donkeycoc, Nov 19, 2010.

1. donkeycoc

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I have just finished watching a television show and in it the presenter claimed that 90% of people are in fact bisexual and the remaining 10% of the population are homosexual. What do other LPSG members think? The presenter also claimed that not everyone accepts their real sexual orientation due to the individual's life experience.

2. noirman

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Your photos would make most of us hope it is true ;-)

3. 6inchcock

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Look north and turn left, real sudden like
    Verified:
    Photo
    Could be. I don't personally buy into the titles.

I think people will or act as they see fit given conditions, culture, acceptance, norms, etc. I don't think anyone is anymore 100% gay than they are 100% straight. Put a gay guy in an all girl environment he will probably bend at some point, ditto the other way as well. There may be acts that they find unacceptable, but sooner or later they will interact with what they will find themselves comfortable with.

4. lpsg17

Gold Member

I would have to agree.

5. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

I think you worry too much.

6. maxcok

Gold Member

It's annoying and absurd that people want to make up their own personal definitions for sexual orientation these days, adding all sorts of extra qualifiers and exclusions to the meaning. If you define sexual orientation as what an individual expresses in sexual behavior, in addition to what they desire and fantasize about - which is the standard, long accepted definition - I think a small percentage are exclusively heterosexual or homosexual. Decades of research have born this out. I have no idea exactly what the true percentages are, but say for the sake of argument there are 10% 'exclusives' at either polarity, leaving 80% somewhere in the middle. Most of those don't view themselves as "bisexual", because they tend to identify with and gravitate toward one end of the scale in terms of behavior and formal relationships.

Social pressure pushes people overwhelmingly toward the heterosexual polarity against their more fluid natures. Social pressure and avoidance of stigmatization also encourage men especially to self-identify as exclusively, or near exclusively, heterosexual against their more fluid natures, and frequently by ignoring or not taking the full measure of their actual same-sex behavior, desires and fantasies - their true orientation. Therefore, most people, men especially, claim an exclusively heterosexual label for themselves, while in truth it's a very small percentage who actually are. The reverse is not true for people who claim a homosexual label. If someone says they're gay, you can pretty well bet they're gay. It takes honesty and commitment to accept one's homosexual nature in this culture. The same is not true for heterosexuality, being as it is the expected and accepted norm.

#6 maxcok, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  7. Drifterwood

Gold Member

I disagree Max.

There are plenty of members here who say they are gay, but put their percentages down as 80/20, or 60/40 even.

It is difficult to acknowledge (for the reasons you state) a % of homosexual orientation especially if it is never practiced. So a gay man will acknowledge a 20% hetero leaning and doesn't practice it, but a Str8 guy will deny a 20% homosexual leaning when he doesn't practice it.

Otherwise, I am with you 110%.

8. 6inchcock

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Look north and turn left, real sudden like
    Verified:
    Photo
    I think Max has some good points, but I still believe that nearly all people have the potential to have sexual relations with members of either sex, under different circumstances. Either way, whatever makes people feel the most comfortable with themselves, is how they should view it or label it.

9. Endued

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I think once we all agree on what - precisely - 'straight' and 'gay' mean, then we can dish out the labels.

10. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not long after I joined I took my precentages out. I realized that though I like men and I prefer them... I also find women attractive. Which doesn't mean I'm anything other than who I am. I don't wish to be labeled. If I found a woman I wanted to be with I would. I think stigma holds some people back from what they are comfortable with vs what they really want in the real world. I'm starting to just not give a rip.

11. sovicious

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It seems kind of true. I think now more than ever people are opportunistic lovers. I don't really fit anywhere either I think but I put my label(percentages) as a best guess of who I would look @ first if I had to choose. Prefer both at once though, ha!

12. maxcok

Gold Member

I was using shorthand there, Drifter. I could have said "predominantly gay" or "near exclusively homosexual" continuing the language I used earlier in my post - carefully parsed to distinguish from the simplified, polarized terminology people generally employ that leads to so much confusion and misunderstanding. But it was getting a bit dry and clinical sounding, and I was deliberately speaking the way people speak in the real world for contrast, for emphasis, to make the exact point that you make below. Maybe I should have put the word "gay" in quotes, or at least air quotes. I think if you read it again in full context, you'll see my intent.

As am I with you. That was exactly my point. Excellent. :smile:

I completely agree. Nothing I said in my post precludes this.

The problem with that is that people, men especially, are frequently most "comfortable" labeling themselves falsely to avoid the social stigma of homosexuality, and in ways that belie their true nature. The psychological term for that is 'denial'. Though it may seem "comfortable" on the surface, it's an unhealthy state of being that often manifests in anxiety, depression, self-medicating, and a whole range of covert risky behaviors damaging to the subject and his relationships. Furthermore, it frequently manifests in homophobic overcompensation and lashing out. Studies have proven that somewhere in the range of 80% of men who verbally express a strong aversion to homosexuality actually become aroused when viewing sexual images of men. Their dicks don't lie.

The other problem is that it only serves to perpetuate the social stigma when people see homosexuality as something shameful to be hidden away. The more people were honest about their true orientation, the sooner this stigma would cease to exist.

#12 maxcok, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  13. Drifterwood

Gold Member

The options are subliminally sexist and prejudiced against str8 men.

The world just doesn't understand us; so let me explain.

I don't mind being 5% gay, so long as you know that I am 120% str8. I mean my IQ is 150, it's not 99%. This is why we are more successful, we know how to give 110%, we know how to turn it up to 11.

:wink:

14. The Dragon

The Dragon New Member

I've always gone on chemistry rather than the shape of a persons genitals.
    They either have some sort of innate qualities that makes them attractive to me or they don't.
    Gender has never really been a factor.

15. maxcok

Gold Member

Oh pity the poor pitiful persecuted (privileged) straight (str8) boys. :rolleyes:

The world feels your pain. It really, really does.

What does it matter? Too many straight (or mostly straight) fellas worry that (a) admitting you're a teeny bit gay means you're automatically less of a man, and (b) oh my god, now gay guys are going to hit on me, which automatically makes me think back to (a). Truth is, orientation is not equivalent to masculinity, most overtly "masculine" behavior is a pose anyway, and if some guy hits on you and you're not interested, you can just politely decline. Hell, I've done it plenty, with men and women. No difference. No big deal. What's even funnier is when a str8 fella gets his ego bruised because he assumes you want to jump him, and you're just not interested. Real men are comfortable in their own skin and aren't worring over such silly shit.

Pics or it didn't happen. :tongue1:

16. ModestToo

ModestToo New Member

I can definetly relate to what you are saying. I remember contemplating just what percent I was each way, but I realised that it's more about the individual person that I meet, rather than a predisposition to go after x number of women and y number of men. I keep it discreet because I want to avoid having stereotypes imposed on me, but I other than that I don't worry about it.

17. OCMuscleJock

Gold Member

Albums:

you know...i agree with this. I think I'm gonna make mine discrete as well. People make too much issue with labels. :)

18. B_bi_mmf

B_bi_mmf New Member

So, LPSG is becoming a bastion of discretion? What fun is that?

As for the % system, I have never used it, not because of any issue of labeling, but because my interest in women and my interest in men are both 100%.

#18 B_bi_mmf, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  19. BobLeeSwagger

Gold Member

I think it's pretty much impossible to come up with a percentage for most people. Personally I think that to be bisexual, the person's desires have to go beyond fantasy and toward actual interest in acting on it. Otherwise the occasional fantasy isn't a strong indicator that the person has a specific orientation. That's the percentage that I go by. But mileage may vary.

Draft saved Draft deleted