Bishop Speaks

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The Right Reverend V. Gene Robinson, Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of New Hampshire, delivered the sermon at all three services this morning at St. Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church here in Albuquerque. Bishop Robinson was the first partnered openly gay bishop in the Episcopal Church in the U.S. of A.

The following link will provide considerable information on Bishop Robinson:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Robinson

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The Right Reverend V. Gene Robinson, Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of New Hampshire, delivered the sermon at all three services this morning at St. Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church here in Albuquerque. Bishop Robinson was the first partnered openly gay bishop in the Episcopal Church in the U.S. of A.

The following link will provide considerable information on Bishop Robinson:

Gene Robinson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's all very nice and everything; but, questions leap to my mind here.

1)What did he say and was it the same script for all the services?

2)Were you there?

3)Any news links from the Albuquerque papers to tell us more?

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
That's all very nice and everything; but, questions leap to my mind here.

1)What did he say and was it the same script for all the services?

2)Were you there?

3)Any news links from the Albuquerque papers to tell us more?

1) So far as I know, it was the same sermon at all three services. The sermon was not about LGBT rights. As is traditional in most of the churches affiliated with the world-wide Anglican Communion, which includes the Episcopal Church in the United States, the sermon was based on the scripture readings assigned for the day. The readings for each Sunday and other days are listed in the lectionary and, in the U.S., there is a three-year cycle. However, the sermon did allude to equal treatment for all people, regardless of sexual orientation.

2) Yes, I was there; I ushered at the 11:15 service.

3) It was mentioned in the 10:00 channel 13 news, and very brief excerpts of the service were televised.

Bishop Robinson took part in the Gay Pride parade in Santa Fe the day before the service.

All the priests at St. Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church have been very outspoken for full equality and full inclusion of LGBT persons, including marriage, all positions in the church, etc. Moreover, they have made their position inescapably known to the New Mexico state legislature and have spoken out publicly on numerous occasions.

In fact, Bishop Robinson was present because he was invited.

It should be noted that Bishop Robinson was elected bishop by the Episcopal Diocese of New Hampshire, and his election was subsequently ratified by the General Convention, which meets every three years, and is the ruling body of the Episcopal Church. You can find more information on that via the link I posted in the first post in this thread.

In about 1975, when I lived in Minneapolis, I founded Integrity Twin Cities, which was the Minneapolis - St. Paul chapter of the national organization for gay men and women in the Episcopal Church. I was also one of the first members of the Minnesota Committee for Gay Rights.

I hope that I have answered all three of your questions to your satisfaction and also satisfactorily answered questions which you didn't ask. Please free to ask more questions if you wish and I shall do my best to answer them also.