Bitch

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't agree with you about that. If that were the case then surely they'd just say "dog", as dogs are generally supposed to be subservient to humans.

Your take is that when someone says they will make someone their bitch, that they are calling themself a male wolf and the other person a female wolf?

Your take is that when someone says they will make someone their bitch, that they are calling themself a male wolf and the other person a female wolf?
No. Not exactly. Why would the dog have to be female to be considered more subservient to either a human or another dog?

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No. Not exactly. Why would the dog have to be female to be considered more subservient to either a human or another dog?

Beats me, but that's a bit like asking if someone got cut off by a woman in traffic, and yelled out the window "You stupid bitch!" why male dogs are considered such better drivers than female ones :p

It seemed like you were trying to explore whether or not the origins of the word bitch played a role in making that insult sexist or not.

I think "bitch", by itself, gets used in sexist fashion because it's often used as a way to denigrate women who are being justifiably assertive. Going the direction of asking whether female dogs actually have worse dispositions than male dogs would seem like a fruitless exercise because it's really the use of the word that causes sexism issues, not the origin nor the way it demeans female dogs. It's a word that generates real harm because it creates challenges, especially in the workplace, for women to be able to do the same work that a man does. Like if you're a female trial attorney, you have to make special consideration for not coming across as bitchy whereas male attorneys don't really have that challenge.

"Make soandso my bitch" may have some sexist aspects to it by way of referencing a specific gender, but I don't think it's nearly as severe (I don't think it's the type of expression that changes anyone's behavior nor reinforces any gender-based power imbalances) as bitch by itself. It's an expression primarily used in competetive gaming to emphasize or illustrate a general power imbalance.

Reactions: AlteredEgo

Beats me, but that's a bit like asking if someone got cut off by a woman in traffic, and yelled out the window "You stupid bitch!" why male dogs are considered such better drivers than female ones :p
My question makes perfect sense; this response doesn't.
It seemed like you were trying to explore whether or not the origins of the word bitch played a role in making that insult sexist or not.
I wasn't exploring the origin of the word, but more the idea that there are different usages, and different understandings, and different connotations of the same word for different people. Scarletbegonia suggested that the word had a slightly different meaning when used towards men.
Bitch gets used a lot in my area. I hear a lot of people in their 20s and 30s as part of my job. (The desk crew with one exception, is all young females, and I work with therapists of many ages.)
Most people at work are POC, and it's common conversation, delivered with little rancor with one exception: toward men.
I'd say that the word has classist connotations to not in the loop ears, and sexist to in the loop ears.
I agree with you about the other stuff.
Just a guess, but there probably aren't many females doing professional gaming, and I'm not so certain about that particular usage of the word, so I can't comment on that.

Oxnard

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That's an understandable point of view. What do you think of the idea of attempting to reappropriate certain words?, like bitch, cunt or nigger. (Felt wrong typing that last one).
I think bitch and asshole are gender-specific. Because people tend to direct the word bitch at women, other words like asshole kind of default to men. How often do you hear the word asshole directed at women? I don't because in those situations, people invariably prefer to use the word bitch when talking about women.

The word bitch has all kinds of ugly connotations (as you point out), but by the same token, there are all kinds of situations in which I might use words like bitch or asshole in a joking, familiar way.

Oddly, use of the word bitch as a verb seems to be gender-neutral. Dunno why that is.

Reactions: 950483

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That's an understandable point of view. What do you think of the idea of attempting to reappropriate certain words?, like bitch, cunt or nigger. (Felt wrong typing that last one).
Nope. Not for me. Slang is slang, and if I'm addressed as such in an acceptable context, I don't let it bother me.

Reactions: 950483

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
bitch by itself. It's an expression primarily used in competetive gaming to emphasize or illustrate a general power imbalance.
It's inherently sexist. The implication is that the more powerful one is going to make the weaker one his female subservient. It is about rendering a male competitor impotent.

I think bitch and asshole are gender-specific. Because people tend to direct the word bitch at women, other words like asshole kind of default to men. How often do you hear the word asshole directed at women? I don't because in those situations, people invariably prefer to use the word bitch when talking about women.

The word bitch has all kinds of ugly connotations (as you point out), but by the same token, there are all kinds of situations in which I might use words like bitch or asshole in a joking, familiar way.

Oddly, use of the word bitch as a verb seems to be gender-neutral. Dunno why that is.
"Asshole" doesn't get used all that much over here, and kind of makes me think of a 1980's Danny Devito ever since someone else pointed it out to me.

You might be right about the bitching actually.

Reactions: Oxnard

In the olden days the word "cow" used to be used as an insult, and in an affectionate way, but mostly as an insult. I haven't heard it used much in a long time; it seems to have dropped out of usage.

Oxnard

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
"Asshole" doesn't get used all that much over here, and kind of makes me think of a 1980's Danny Devito ever since someone else pointed it out to me.

You might be right about the bitching actually.
It might be gender neutral due to what @AlteredEgo pointed out: an attempt to diminish men by comparing them to women based on the assumption that women are inherently less than men.

Reactions: Scarletbegonia

It might be gender neutral due to what @AlteredEgo pointed out: an attempt to diminish men by comparing them to women based on the assumption that women are inherently less than men.
That sounds accurate to me. On a different thread somewhere a while back, someone pointed out that for a man, the worst thing you can be is a woman.

I had a Jamacian friend and we worked closely together and she'd call me Bitch. I let that slide because of our friendship and normally quip "That'd be Miss Bitch to you!" back.

I also used to be called bitch all the time at work but the objective there was to deescalate, minimize and deflect "challenging behaviors". You let it roll off your back.
Away from work I don't tolerate it.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
In the olden days the word "cow" used to be used as an insult, and in an affectionate way, but mostly as an insult. I haven't heard it used much in a long time; it seems to have dropped out of usage.
Until a nice dose of fat Shang gets tossed in. "Fat cow" is still used.

Also, swoon, you lost me above...professional gaming? I was talking about my clinic.

At.your.cervix

Superior Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In the US, "bitch" is ultimately a begrudging acknowledgement of a woman with power who chooses to use it. In many ways, it's the female equivalent of the term "bastard." To be either, you first must exert your will over the person using the term; as such, using the term is a recognition of one's submission. So yes, take being called a "bitch" with a little bit of pridefulness; it's a sign of a job well done.

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Nobody calls me a bitch who isn't my sister.
I don't think it's an insult by itself, I guess it depends on the person who uses it or says it.
When my sister says it, it's like bitch please or stop being a twitchy bitch.
Otherwise no one has said that about me to my knowledge.

I think of some people as being a bitch completely independent of whatever their gender is. Same for calling someone or thinking of someone as an asshole.

Reactions: fluffychocolate