biting the Apple

tallguypns

Sexy Member
Media
Pensacola, Florida, United States of America
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Those of you that know me very well (nobody) will know I'm a huge fan of Apple computers. I've heard from nearly everyone I talk to how "overpriced" Apple's stuff is, and how you just can't run any programs on a Mac. Now that Apple builds its computers with Intel chips, it seems that neither of those statements can be considered factual anymore.
If I knew how to change the hyperlink to just a line of text it would say "Mac Pro beats Dell on price"
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060823/ap_on_hi_te/tech_test_mac_pro_3

D_Sheffield Thongbynder

Experimental Member
Media
According to legend, when Dorothy Parker entered a Halloween party at which people were ducking for apples, she asked what they were doing. When the man answered, "They're ducking for apples," she said, "There but for a typographical error goes my life." I like Dells, Tallguy.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm a fairly virulent Windows-hater. I use OS X on my work computer (the company paid for the computer, so I got an Apple there) and Ubuntu on my personal computer.

Hatched69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I have both PC and Mac. 4 of my PC's run XP Pro, 1 PC runs Windows 2000. The Mac G5 runs OS X. The Mac and the Win 2K machines play very well together. Strangely, the Mac and the Win 2K machines don't like XP. But, I can't say I favor Windows over Mac, or vice versa. I've never had any major issues with hardware or software from any of my machines, and I push them to their limits (80-100% processor usage for hours at a time) frequently....

Hatched69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
SurferGirlCA said:
edit by hatched69
P.S. I just wish more software companies loved my Mac, too. :rolleyes:

Be patient. There's something on the horizon to fix you up.....but it's gonna take a LOT of processor power to really make it run.

T

that_other_guy

I love my Apple & have had nothing but satisfaction with it ... I would highly recommend it to everyone :biggrin1:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Yeah, the price differential is disappearing. (Still there, though, across most of the product range ... but nowhere near as large as it once was.)
My laptop is an iBook and I love it.
I still have a PC desktop, but I'll switch to an iMac when the time comes.
Mac is just sturdier, more intuitive to use, and ineffably more 'friendly,' not to mention the cool looks.

MischievousOne

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This thread has given me the biggest bone of my life! I've been a Mac evangelist for years and have succeeded in converting some of the filthy masses. I'm glad to see that prices are finally coming down and companies are starting to develop dual platform and compatible software.

'Scuse me while I go beat off now!

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
SurferGirlCA said:
I love my Mac! However, I work in one of the few career fields that remained Mac-centric so I'm just used to them. I guess everybody likes what they're used to, at least in terms of computers.

P.S. I just wish more software companies loved my Mac, too. :rolleyes:

You use what your industry uses whether you like it or not. In the physical sciences and engineering fields, Mac simply isn't in the running. The secretaries and the managers have Macs but the technical staff are PC all the way, for better or worse.

But every copy of Windows should come with a Bill Gates voodoo doll and a five year supply of pins.

Heather LouAnna

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I was raised on Macs. My first computer my parents bought me when I was three was a mac, as were the thirty or so systems that were donated to the private school that I attended as a child. I suppose they donated them to several schools to show their usefulness in a classroom setting, as people were going around saying that no one had use for a personal computer in the home and such. I've several friends that work for Apple, but I barely recall how to use one. It's an entirely different creature than I'm used to.

tallguypns

Sexy Member
Media
Pensacola, Florida, United States of America
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
big dirigible said:
You use what your industry uses whether you like it or not. In the physical sciences and engineering fields, Mac simply isn't in the running. The secretaries and the managers have Macs but the technical staff are PC all the way, for better or worse.

But every copy of Windows should come with a Bill Gates voodoo doll and a five year supply of pins.

But NOW it IS in the running. You can get a Mac cheaper than a Dell, and run XP on it if you wanted to ruin such a good thing.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There are lots of sub-topics hidden in here.

I started out using an IBM-type computer before Windows was invented. I was not impressed with any of the early Apple machines, but when the Mac came out, I most definitely WAS impressed, and it was my computer of choice for years.

The comments about price differences always amused me. Yes, your average PowerMac 6100 did cost more than your average Windows box of about the same processor speed. The big difference was, the Mac had built-in networking (AppleTalk and Ethernet), integral video and sound processors, and was plug-n-play from the beginning. Most of the PCs at the time required the purchase of an upgraded video card for more than 16 colors, a sound card for anything more than just a "beep," and a network card for any networking; and addition of any cards, memory, or peripherals required a complex system of dip switch re-configuration. Once you put the add-ins on the PC to make it truly comparable to the Mac box, you had spent as much or more than the Mac's original cost - and without the elegant and intuitive operating system (how truly awful was Windows 3.1, really?)

My partner is one of those foaming-at-the-mouth Mac-haters, and never missed an opportunity to say negative things about my computer - all the while cursing the bad behavior of his old PC, and then his newer PC, as I computed problem-free with my ancient G4.

As they evolved, the Mac became more Windows-like, and Windows became more Mac-like.

Its age has finally caught up with it, and my G4 needs to be retired. I'm just torn on what to buy next. I want a desktop, not a laptop... I hate the "all-in-ones," I think the G5 would be a bad move, and the Intel Macs are only available in iMac or laptops. I really hate to give it up, though, and make the change to PC.