biting the Apple

tallguypns

Sexy Member
Media
Pensacola, Florida, United States of America
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
DC_DEEP said:
There are lots of sub-topics hidden in here.

I started out using an IBM-type computer before Windows was invented. I was not impressed with any of the early Apple machines, but when the Mac came out, I most definitely WAS impressed, and it was my computer of choice for years.

The comments about price differences always amused me. Yes, your average PowerMac 6100 did cost more than your average Windows box of about the same processor speed. The big difference was, the Mac had built-in networking (AppleTalk and Ethernet), integral video and sound processors, and was plug-n-play from the beginning. Most of the PCs at the time required the purchase of an upgraded video card for more than 16 colors, a sound card for anything more than just a "beep," and a network card for any networking; and addition of any cards, memory, or peripherals required a complex system of dip switch re-configuration. Once you put the add-ins on the PC to make it truly comparable to the Mac box, you had spent as much or more than the Mac's original cost - and without the elegant and intuitive operating system (how truly awful was Windows 3.1, really?)

My partner is one of those foaming-at-the-mouth Mac-haters, and never missed an opportunity to say negative things about my computer - all the while cursing the bad behavior of his old PC, and then his newer PC, as I computed problem-free with my ancient G4.

As they evolved, the Mac became more Windows-like, and Windows became more Mac-like.

Its age has finally caught up with it, and my G4 needs to be retired. I'm just torn on what to buy next. I want a desktop, not a laptop... I hate the "all-in-ones," I think the G5 would be a bad move, and the Intel Macs are only available in iMac or laptops. I really hate to give it up, though, and make the change to PC.

But now that the Mac Pro is out, you can get an Intel desktop.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Bwahahah, thanks guys. I missed the Mac News Reports for approximately 1.5 days. And still not completely convinced. But I sure do prefer the MacOS. For that matter, a lot of people think I'm crazy, but I prefer Win2000 to WinXP.

From what I've seen of the newest Microsoft OS, it seems to be a lot more like MacOS X.x - at least appearance-wise. I've yet to try its performance.

I actually miss the stability of the old MacOS 9. I had less trouble with it than any other I've ever used.

thillboi

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
tallguypns said:
Those of you that know me very well (nobody) will know I'm a huge fan of Apple computers. I've heard from nearly everyone I talk to how "overpriced" Apple's stuff is, and how you just can't run any programs on a Mac. Now that Apple builds its computers with Intel chips, it seems that neither of those statements can be considered factual anymore.
If I knew how to change the hyperlink to just a line of text it would say "Mac Pro beats Dell on price"
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060823/ap_on_hi_te/tech_test_mac_pro_3

I think the thing about Macs is that people weren't willing to buy them because they weren't windows, but with the new 'boot camp' program, Windows can be run from a mac (but who would want to inflict viruses on the mac like that?) but either way... yeah... I'm a HUGE Apple fan.

Used a dell for a year once... it made me cry. Literally. Back to Apple from then and now until the end of tim! :biggrin1:

Hatched69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
DC_DEEP said:
, but I prefer Win2000 to WinXP. edit by hatched69

Ditto. Especially Win2K pro and server editions, they're virtually un-crashable. I've had 1 PC with Win 2K on solid for 2 years (yes, you read that right, NEVER shut off for 2 years), and it has yet to foul on me.
XP still has so many issues when running in a network environment with other computers, it's a nightmare...