black girls on lpsg?

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by debeli, Aug 18, 2008.

1. debeli

debeli Active Member

Albums:
    do you know which african country your ancestors come from?

debeli

2. Runco

Runco New Member

Yes. But does it matter?

3. debeli

debeli Active Member

Albums:
    in what sense?
    i'm just interested, exploring cultures in hope of better understanding of ppl

4. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    Good question, but slightly narrow. Some of our ancestors came from South America, some from Europe, all over the place. Not all blacks are descendants of Africans.

Unfortunately some people don't care enough about their history to research this kind of thing, and for many of it it's impossible cuz.....there was....a century or two where.....certain people weren't really keeping track of us.

Last names were changed, sometimes no last name was even used. For some black women researching their history beyond a few generations is futile.

#4 marleyisalegend, Aug 18, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  5. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    Most people don't know where they're from.

I do, however.

I come from the middle of the earth and my closest relative is a cockroach.

:rolleyes:

6. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    You're cousins with Leroy the cockroach too? We might be brother and sister!:eek:

7. Catchoftheday

Gold Member

Please tell me, where do I come from ........please tell

:phone:

8. Runco

Runco New Member

I am not sure what my ancestry has to do with anything. However, my ancestors came from the West Coast of Africa but were transported to the West Indies hundreds of years ago. Any African culture we once had has long since been superseded by the culture in the West Indies - and well before I was born (and I was born here in England). I am far from unique in this respect (obviously people were transported to and ended up in different locations). Hence me wondering why on earth the answer to this question matters, particularly in the context of exploring 'culture'.

9. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    ^It's probably one of those things where someone thinks the portal to black history and culture can be summed up in a few sentences.

Anyone with half a brain knows that this is a fairly irrelevant question. We ALL come from Africa in a sense, and a good bulk of blacks in 2008 won't be able to find any accurate depiction of their ancestry, a lot of which was fabricated and distorted anyway..

10. Principessa

Gold Member

Why ask just the black girls, what about the boys? :confused:

Marley kinda danced around the topic but most blacks born in America pretty much have no way of determining which African country our ancestors came from because of slavery.

During slavery it was normal for slave owners to name their slaves anything they wanted. Slaves were often given the surname of their owners. Sometimes no last name was given. Familys were also sold apart numerous times and since slaves were not even considered people; but property there was often no receipt or paper trail of the transaction.

On my mother's mothers' side, we were never slaves. A full-blooded Cherokee Indian married a free-born black woman and that trend kinda continued for a while. That branch of my family tree can be traced back to 1813 in South Carolina. We still own property there.:cool:

My father's sister paid some geneaological company $100 back in the 1970's to research our ancestry.They told her our family originated in County Kilkenny, Ireland. :lmao: I suppose it could be true. It would explain why many on my dads side of the family are light enough to pass, have green or hazel eyes and auburn hair. :wink:

11. B_cigarbabe

B_cigarbabe New Member

My Great-grandmother on my daddies side was a Pumunkey Indian from Virginia. Her great-great{great?} grandmother was allegedly Motoaca.
    She married a slave also from Virginia. I also heard that the surname we have is originally from County Kilkenny in Ireland but we were "merged" with a white guy who came from England via Ireland.
    NJQT, we also have many variations of hazel eyed, brown skinned, freckles and red hair and some of us lighter than we wanna' be!
    cigarbabe:saevil:

#11 B_cigarbabe, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  12. mista geechee

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well....to get technical.......we all originate from Africa. No matter what your skin color.

Marley raised a good point as to why it would be damn near impossible. Last names. Judging by my last name, my ancestors were probably slaves of a man named Richard.

Anyway.......the only way to truly tell would probably be to match your genes with ancient skeletons from all over the world and make some type of genetic map.

13. Runco

Runco New Member

Not a surprise at all. My family is mixed too. On my dad's side, his father was Maroon. His mother was half Maroon and half Spanish. On my mother's side, her father was half Scottish and half black Jamaican/Amerindian. Her mother was an extremely light skinned woman from a part of Jamaica where people were known to be heavily mixed with white (they also had money) so chances are there was some sort of white mix in there too although I never got to the bottom of what it was and what it meant in her case. My mother is light enough to 'pass' although she never tried to and my father wasn't. Like you I have family with all kinds of eye and hair colors.

#13 Runco, Aug 19, 2008
  14. debeli

debeli Active Member

Albums:
    so you assume:
    1. "anyone" (at least with half a brain?) lives in us
    2. all black people live in us
    3. no black person migrated from africa since slave trade
    4. if smthg can not be summed up in few sentences why bother thinking about it and discussing it
    :)

seriously, i find it interesting subject, you learn a lot about yourself, other people, history etc etc all the boring stuff :)

15. debeli

debeli Active Member

Albums:
    wow!
    two of you have some history :)
    what happened that made mixing scottish and black people this relatively common?
    i just love black girls with green or blue eyes (but who doesn't :), if i see find she might be in danger of marrying me on spot :)

anyway i just might begin the whole process from the top and see what happens if you take 50% of 99,99% pure central european and 50% of 99,99% pure igbo, mix it well together, stir it, shake it and.... :)

16. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

No. What matters is they are simply wonderful:smile:

17. debeli

debeli Active Member

Albums:
    Mister, you are/were involved with a black girl?

18. HamYai

HamYai New Member

I can't change yesterday, but maybe I can influence tomorrow.

So much for ancestry.

19. Principessa

Gold Member

20. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

I dated a white lady once. I think ?

#20 Mr. Snakey, Aug 19, 2008
Draft saved Draft deleted