Black hole card is Racist?

B_Marius567

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The card, which talks about “running rings around Saturn” has been on the market for 3 years and includes a recording inside. Where Hallmark got into trouble was where the recording talked about “black holes” which are concentrations of matter so dense that not even light escapes them. NAACP spokespeople complained that the word “holes” was really “whores” and that they wanted the card pulled from the market

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The NAACP owes Hallmark an apology for its frivolous criticism of a nerdy and harmless greeting card.

This is what happens when we get too stupid. We forget that black HOLES exist in space. Hell, I even did a presentation on them in grade school. Pulling the race card on astronomy is just retarded.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
This reminds me of occasional controversies over the word niggardly, which has its origin in Old Norse and is synonymous with parsimoniously.

With all the real-life examples or racial insensitivity and discrimination, these made-up controversies really don't help the cause toward greater inclusion and acceptance.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Now HERE's the rub: The card (as my good friend Madam Katt so informed) is neither racial nor about black holes in space! [snicker]

It's completely sexual. Hence the references to running rings around SATURN. Ha haaa!! SAT urn! You get it?? LOL??? :cool::cool::cool:

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
yeah I got a bridge to sell ya too.... Hallmark, sexual not a chance.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
When it says "Putting the solar system on notice...." was that not a CLUE that Black Holes would have been related to the previous phrase about the solar system. Geez.

I know some really sensitive black peeps. If they hear something that doesn't sound right...feel right...the entity in question had better clarify it...explain it...whatever or you will get spotlit or showcased to Southern Poverty Law Center or NAACP.

Some black peeps won't have that level of sophistication that a card is talking about "black holes" and they hear black "whores" instead.

I never heard about the Hallmark card until two days ago. They had an article with a video on YAHOO talking about the card in question. I think that it was a GRADUATION card. And it was one of those YoYo and Hoops characters card with the voice greeting that is activated upon opening the card.