Black Hole in Geneva ???

D_O_Revoir

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
They are scheduled to start up the Large Hadron Collider on wednesday, september 10th. Anyone worried that it is going to destroy the entire solar system? May as well live out your dreams before then.

-Z

BallSukr

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I'm thinking... not on Sep 10th.

More like October 14th... or some other day when you are least expecting it. :)

D

deleted213967

They are scheduled to start up the Large Hadron Collider on wednesday, september 10th. Anyone worried that it is going to destroy the entire solar system? May as well live out your dreams before then.

-Z

Can we re-schedule? Some of the residents of the solar system have other commitments on that day.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Chances are they will not achieve anywhere near the energies needed... and they will ramp up energy over the next couple of years...
Even so- they are ramming tiny teensy itty bitty bits of matter together. A black hole composed of just a handful of protons ( which immediately cease to be protons) would not persist.

According to Hawking, such a black hole would literally evaporate before it could make it to the side wall of the detector.

For a black hole to remain stable, like the one at the center of our galaxy... it needs to be rather large.

Also- just to dispel any weird ideas... becoming a black hole does NOT affect mass., it affects density.

IF the sun could somehow collapse into a black hole Without the huge explosion.... the orbit of the earth and other planets would not be affected in the least. The exact same gravitational pull...

Chances are they will not achieve anywhere near the energies needed... and they will ramp up energy over the next couple of years...
Even so- they are ramming tiny teensy itty bitty bits of matter together. A black hole composed of just a handful of protons ( which immediately cease to be protons) would not persist.

According to Hawking, such a black hole would literally evaporate before it could make it to the side wall of the detector.

For a black hole to remain stable, like the one at the center of our galaxy... it needs to be rather large.

Not to impugn the good doctor Hawking, but what if he's wrong? They're gambling with the lives of the entire planet. Granted the odds might be remote, but I'm not convinced the benefits outweigh the risks. I think the gnomes of CERN need a vastly better PR campaign.

Also- just to dispel any weird ideas... becoming a black hole does NOT affect mass., it affects density.

IF the sun could somehow collapse into a black hole Without the huge explosion.... the orbit of the earth and other planets would not be affected in the least. The exact same gravitational pull...

We'd just have no sun and freeze to death within hours. Sorry if I don't feel consoled.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I can tell ya I'd probably get one last good load off ! scramble a few atoms of my own.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Not to impugn the good doctor Hawking, but what if he's wrong? They're gambling with the lives of the entire planet. Granted the odds might be remote, but I'm not convinced the benefits outweigh the risks. I think the gnomes of CERN need a vastly better PR campaign.

I think its a pretty safe bet.
People think of black holes the way they think of ninjas- a lot of stupid myth and hollywood malarky.

Black holes are not special- they are simply ultradense objects.

The same math that PREDICTED black holes, and turned out to be right on the money, also proves that quantum sized ones simply can not exist for more than a few nanoseconds.

Ergo... the math that proved to us they were real, proves that they can not be a threat.

Edward Teller, father of the hydrogen bomb, bet Robert Oppenheimer that the A bomb would set the atmosphere on fire.

Oppenheimer looked at him sadly and took the bet... sure money because the atmosphere simply can not be set on fire.

Quantum physics is the most accurately predictive theory humanity has ever come up with. ( evolution is the second )

If you were gonna bet... you had better bet on the science that makes a computer out of sand and clay.