Black lives matter : in their own words(really)

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
BLACK LIVES:

bob moses 1964.jpg

Robert Parris Moses, who passed away this week at the age of 86, is the most important civil rights activist most Americans have never heard of.

Throughout his life, Moses shunned the limelight but, for a time during the first half of the 1960s, it came anyway. As the architect of Freedom Summer in 1964, Moses came to embody one of the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee's (SNCC) most hopeful, enduring slogans: "Come, let us build a new world together." Though historically Moses has not received the credit he deserved because he did not consciously seek the spotlight, the legacy of this giant was and is everywhere.

b60af0c025d8ee643bb12aa6b586e467.jpg

Women of color turned out to vote at record rates in the 2020 election, with almost nine in 10 agreeing that the stakes were too high not to vote, according to a new poll.

Why it matters: The findings in the poll, conducted by The Harris Poll on behalf of a group of reproductive rights organizations, appear to confirm the highly-motivated voting bloc's emerging power.

AND, MORE from America's history of discrimination and suppression. The history SOME don't want us to KNOW ABOUT:

Black Kos, Tuesday's Chile; Anniversary of the 1919 racist attack on the Black citizens of Chicago

Soul City: A Black dream killed just as it was coming true – Scalawag

Lora Hyler wins Wisconsin Writers Association award for Zeddie's story

MEANWHILE:

10 Black women sat in first class on an airplane and it revealed a lot about race in America

Black community group loses bid to acquire downtown LA Mall despite highest offer | TheHill

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
BLACK LIVES:

Robert Parris Moses, who passed away this week at the age of 86, is the most important civil rights activist most Americans have never heard of.

Throughout his life, Moses shunned the limelight but, for a time during the first half of the 1960s, it came anyway. As the architect of Freedom Summer in 1964, Moses came to embody one of the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee's (SNCC) most hopeful, enduring slogans: "Come, let us build a new world together." Though historically Moses has not received the credit he deserved because he did not consciously seek the spotlight, the legacy of this giant was and is everywhere.

Speaking of forgotten civil rights heroes, lately it seems the life stories of many of them are being "uncovered" these days, but sadly, because an obituary has appeared about that person. It reminds me that for years I swam at a community pool named for fallen hero Medgar Evers, without knowing that the name was a man's name, that he was an outspoken anti-segregationist during dangerous times in Mississippi, and that he was assassinated for his beliefs and activism.

Likewise it wasn't until I took classes at Seattle's amazing Pratt Fine Arts classes, that I learned who it was named after: Edwin T. Pratt, a civil rights activist and longtime Executive Director of Seattle's Urban League, who was gunned down at the front door of his home in 1969.

Edwin T. Pratt (1930-1969) •

The Pratt Fine Arts Center | Fine Arts Center Seattle, Fine Arts Center Near Me

A/B

Last edited:

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Speaking of forgotten civil rights heroes, lately it seems the life stories of many of them are being "uncovered" these days, but sadly, because an obituary has appeared about that person. It reminds me that for years I swam at a community pool named for fallen hero Medgar Evers, without knowing that the name was a man's name, that he was an outspoken anti-segregationist during dangerous times in Mississippi, and that he was assassinated for his beliefs and activism.

Likewise it wasn't until I took classes at Seattle's amazing Pratt Fine Arts classes, that I learned who it was named after: Edwin T. Pratt, a civil rights activist and longtime Executive Director of Seattle's Urban League, who was gunned down at the front door of his home in 1969.

Edwin T. Pratt (1930-1969) •

The Pratt Fine Arts Center | Fine Arts Center Seattle, Fine Arts Center Near Me

A/B

Thanks for the info, A.B. I wasn't familiar with Pratt but remember Evers. Btw there are two films on Evers: For Us the Living: The Medgar Evers Story and Ghosts of Mississippi that deals with the trial of his assassin, Byron de la Beckwith.

IN BLACK LIVES:

Black Kos, Tuesday’s Chile. Celebrating Anna Julia Cooper

Lyndon Johnson's daughter takes up her father's cause on 56th anniversary of Voting Rights Act - CBS News
Simone Biles Shares Her Views on Abortion: 'I'm Very Much Pro-Choice' | PEOPLE.com
Spelman, Clark Atlanta University, and FAMU among HBCUS clearing tuition balances | New Pittsburgh Courier

MEANWHILE, the history they don't want us to know about:

Lynchings never stopped. 'Evil bastards' just stopped passing photos around like baseball cards

AND:

Gemma Chan says nothing will change 'if only Black people care about Black Lives Matter' | The Independent

Reactions: ActionBuddy

3HandsfulofDick

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Make sure you check out the Medgar Evers story.. “Ghost of Mississippi” gave a fairly accurate description in its portrayal of the events of his murder… Murdered in his driveway in front of his wife and children…Took decades and three trials to get justice … My dad would say there were the 3 M”s of the civil rights movement… Marvin , Malcolm and Medger..

3HandsfulofDick

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Make sure you check out the Medgar Evers story.. “Ghost of Mississippi” gave a fairly accurate description in its portrayal of the events of his murder… Murdered in his driveway in front of his wife and children…Took decades and three trials to get justice … My dad would say there were the 3 M”s of the civil rights movement… Marvin , Malcolm and Medger..
I am sure there was a Marvin during the civil rights era but I meant meant Martin lol

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks for the info, A.B. I wasn't familiar with Pratt but remember Evers. Btw there are two films on Evers: For Us the Living: The Medgar Evers Story and Ghosts of Mississippi that deals with the trial of his assassin, Byron de la Beckwith.

I should have added this from Wikipedia's short bio for him, to my post about Edwin T. Prat's assassination:

"Pratt was killed outside his home in Shoreline, Washington, a suburb immediately north of Seattle. Two men were involved in the shooting; it is presumed that a third drove the getaway car. It is still unknown who killed him."

The murderers could have been angry about his his activism and successful campaign to desegregate Seattle's public school system and other notable achievements, or the fact that he and his wife bought a house in a nearly all-white suburb, or all of the above. Civil rights activists were very disconcerted that the investigation into his murder case was put on the back burner and eventually buried, But, his legacy wasn't!

Edwin T. Pratt - Wikipedia

A/B

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
ON BLACK LIVES

To what should be of no GREAT surprise, an advocacy group called Movement for Black Lives has just released a report that concluded Trump's justice department DELIBERATELY targeted supporters of the Black Lives Matter movement for harsh prosecution at the EXPRESS DIRECTION of Donald J Trump and his A.G., William Barr. (surprise surprise).

MEANWHILE, a former N.Y. ice cream shop owner who's been accused of calling cops and falsely claiming of being threatened by peaceful BLM protesters has been ordered to pay $500 to each of the protesters for violating their civil rights.

ALSO, a Pew Research Center survey published last Thursday found that overall, a MAJORITY of Americans believe increased awareness of (as in "WOKE" to) the history of slavery and racism in the U.S. is a GOOD thing for society. Though when the results were broken down into Democratic and Republican demographics, only 25 percent of conservatives viewed it as a positive.

AND:

She marched for Black lives: Heather Heyer’s mother Susan Bro and the fight for justice beyond Charlottesville

heather-heyer.jpg
Ms Bro’s daughter – antiracist activist Heather Heyer – was murdered on 12 August, 2017 when a white supremacist accelerated his car into a crowd of counter-protesters at a far-right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia. He killed Ms Heyer and injured 35 others.

James Alex Fields Jr, 22, was convicted of first-degree murder and pleaded guilty to 29 of 30 federal hate crime charges. He was sentenced to life in prison in 2019. A civil trial against the far-right rally organizers is scheduled to begin in Charlottesville this October.

Following her death, Ms Bro endured a flood of press attention. She faced it directly, remaining forthright and engaged, and with compassion and humor, careful to steer their attention from her daughter’s murder to the nation’s legacy of pervasive racist violence, white supremacy and systemic injustice, from policing to public health.

She established the Heather Heyer Foundation, which provides scholarships to students dedicated to progressive social change, and agreed to lend her daughter’s name to a hate crime law that President Joe Biden signed in front of her.

Asked whether she finds a kind of comfort in telling her daughter’s story to advance racial justice, Ms Bro clarifies that “there is no closure with this”.

Last edited:

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
The BLM organization should report where the millions on dollars in donations have gone to help black lives. The leaders are living very posh lifestyles.

No, they're all Marxists, intent on bringing down those who life posh lifestyles.

At least get your story straight.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
^^^ Meanwhile, as always, I need to do a better job of proofreading.

Good thing I'm not President of the United States. The things they would say about me!

Nuthin' that a strong cup of COVFEFE won't fix. But hey, considering the resident's precedents, you're STILL WAY in the clear. :cool:

Reactions: Klingsor