Black lives matter : in their own words(really)

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Black lives... in our own words... really:

Juneteenth And America’s Unfulfilled Promise Of ‘Absolute Equality’ | HuffPost In Galveston, where enslaved Texans were notified that they were free on June 19, 1865, a 5,000-square-foot mural confronts our past and our future.

GALVESTON ISLAND, Texas — On Juneteenth, the promise of “absolute equality” is hanging in the air. The fight for voting rights rages on, a federal anti-lynching law has been stalled in Congress, and lawmakers in several states have banned teachers from talking about racism.

Since inception, the holiday has been celebrated among Black Texans, and it has become more widely known in recent years.

But so much of Juneteenth’s continued relevance and power lies in the order’s second line, which promises “absolute equality of personal rights and rights of property.” Written by Maj. F.W. Emery, a man who hated slavery and was an editor of an abolitionist newspaper, those words symbolize the work yet to be done and what America still owes Black Americans.

Black US farmers dismayed as white farmers’ lawsuit halts relief payments | US news | The Guardian

BEARING WITNESS TO TRUTH:

The Problem Isn’t That Some Republicans Don’t Know What “Critical Race Theory” Is. It’s That MANY OF THEM DO.

Amber Ruffin airs some of the sunken Black history white conservatives are trying to hide

IN RELATED NEWS:

Black Immigrants Are Still Fighting Racism In The U.S. Immigration System | HuffPost
Slang comes from Black, LGBTQ communities. Not honoring that is racist

AND:

A Black WWII veteran who was denied the Purple Heart due to racism finally receives the honor at 99 - CNN

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
THE MARGINALIZATION OF BLACK LIVES:

Republicans Are Criminalizing The Democratic Process For People Of Color | HuffPost

After an election loss and years of mass demonstrations, Republican states are rushing to create new crimes related to voting and protesting.

Leonard Pitts: The right to bear arms does not extend to Black people

AND then there was a story I'd saved that delt with racially unequal public school funding in Mississippi that was originally in clarionledger.com, only the story seems to have disappeared. So I found this (older) article relating to same:

Black Students in the Mississippi Delta Still Face Education Inequality

MEANWHILE, with the story about how Simone Biles was being penalized by judges for being TOO good (posted HERE in this thread) I watched with interest the women's gymnastic finals and specifically that process where they don't just take the raw scores of that last competition, but a committee has a little pow-wow before coming up with that team of six. The results of which I've filed in my "things that make me go hmmmm" drawer, so I'll offer no further commentary.

But as of late there have been several Olympic developments relating to OTHER Black female Olympic hopefuls, including some rulings about which the authors below DID have something to say.

Black Olympians 'disappointed and heartbroken' after ban on swim cap made for natural Black hair

The Olympics Don’t Want Black Women To Win | HuffPost

WHEN SATIRE SPEAKS VOLUMES - ONION HEADLINE:

“Dream Crushed Over Trivial Bullshit Represents Nation Better Than Gold Medal Ever Could.”

The Onion’s Take On The Sha’Carri Richardson Controversy Is Applauded On Twitter | HuffPost

“That awkward moment when ‘The Onion’ is the voice of reason,” one user said of the satire publication’s poignant headline.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
THIS WEEK IN BLACK LIVES, the party that cries "cancel culture" is on a crusade to cancel the HISTORY OF RACISM IN AMERICA:

Texas Republicans Pressure Museum to Cancel Event on Alamo and Slavery

An event to promote a book examining the history of the Alamo and its connection to slavery was canceled just before it was slated to begin Thursday night after Texas Republicans mounted a pressure campaign against the museum hosting it. The Bullock Museum had scheduled a discussion of Forget the Alamo by historian Chris Tomlinson and two others. Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick wrote on Twitter, “As a member of the Preservation Board, I told staff to cancel this event as soon as I found out about it.

MEANWHILE, more revelations on what's happening to Black female athletes at the Olympics, and the reactions:

Sha'Carri Richardson Won't Compete In Any Tokyo Olympics Events | HuffPost

Brianna McNeal Loses Appeal to Olympic Governing Body of Five-Year Suspension

Five Female Athletes From Africa Banned From Olympic Events For Naturally High Testosterone Levels
Sha'Carri Richardson: Suspension agency now facing congressional investigation - Rolling Out
Patrick Mahomes, others speak out after Sha'Carri Richardson's marijuana suspension

Then again this is not the first nor will it be the last of this kind of thing in sports:

Holly Robinson Peete Responds To Australian Journalist Who Accused Florence Griffith Joyner Of Drug Use

A White Conservative Tried To Disrespect Flo Jo's Legacy But Twitter Wasn't Having It - Blavity News

The more things change.....

When a Black Boxing Champion Beat the ‘Great White Hope,’ All Hell Broke Loose | Snopes.com

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
ON BLACK LIVES:

Nikole Hannah-Jones Rejects UNC Tenure Offer, Will Teach At Howard University Instead | HuffPost

Nikole Hannah-Jones, Pulitzer-winning journalist and creator of the “1619 Project,” has turned down a tenured position at the University of North Carolina and will be accepting a role at Howard University instead.

Hannah-Jones, who will become a tenured member of the faculty at the historically Black university’s Cathy Hughes School of Communications, made the announcement Tuesday during an interview....

Ta-Nehisi Coates, former correspondent for The Atlantic, will also join the faculty at the HBCU, which he attended in the ’90s.

Members of the faculty of the UNC Hussman School of Journalism and Media said in a statement they were “disappointed, but not surprised” at Hannah-Jones’ decision to turn down the school’s offer:

"While disappointed, we are not surprised. We support Ms. Hannah-Jones’s choice. The appalling treatment of one of our nation’s most-decorated journalists by her own alma mater was humiliating, inappropriate, and unjust."
Last week, UNC’s board of trustees voted 9-4 in favor of granting tenure to Hannah-Jones... [after their] initial inaction on [granting her tenure] ...raised concerns that she was being discriminated against and ignited a backlash on campus and across the country.

meanwhile...

White farmers blocking a much-needed federal relief program for Black farmers proves Black farmers won't overcome racism unless they take their economic future into their own hands.

and...

Spike Lee Denounces Race Relations In U.S. At Cannes Film Festival: 'Black people are still 'being hunted down like animals'

also...

Jen Psaki Slams Sidelining Of Sha'Carri Richardson From Tokyo Olympics | HuffPost
Anthony Mackie Slams Sha'Carri Richardson, Naomi Osaka Treatment at ESPY Awards 2021
The Olympics’ Dumb Rules Could Keep Black Women Off the Podium – Mother Jones

in related news:

Simone Biles says there's a 'target' on her back because she's breaking boundaries in gymnastics

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Reactions: b.c.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
@b.c. - Lordy. How do I even get started with the subject of the shocking inequalities of farm work in the USA, without just wanting to blow my brains out!

A/B

Shocking inequities have and still do abound, my friend. That's why the right winged fascists don't want anyone to learn about them in schools.

Florida allows Cuba protesters to shut down highway despite making it felony for Black Lives Matter | The Independent

Florida Gov. DeSantis' protest law was meant to prevent riots in the wake of BLM protests. Now it's in the way of SOS Cuba demonstrations.

Lawsuit Claims Evidence Against BLM Protesters Was 'Fabricated' | Phoenix New Times

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
[NOTE - if you see me post stories from not too well known sources it's usually because some of the original sources like alternet and blackenterprises etc. have their websites all fkd up with popups telling me to turn off an ad blocker, not that doing so does any good, asking for a subscription. I've heard some others have problems loading them as well so I'll be trying to provide alternative sources for those sites.]

ON BLACK LIVES:

A Movement To Rebuild Black Wall Street Is Underway In Tulsa

The 1921 race riots in Tulsa resulted in hundreds of African Americans killed and dozens of properties destroyed in a thriving Black business district in the Greenwood neighborhood. But the question remains, can Black Wall Street effectively be rebuilt 100 years later?

“Build in Tulsa” believes in this possibility. The group strives to ignite Black wealth creation to move Tulsa forward over the next 100 years, according to CBS News.

Build in Tulsa plans to focus on tech, business and entrepreneurship to move Tulsa forward through Black wealth creation.

How a new generation is setting the record straight on black US history | The Guardian

Recent traumas in the US have energised a fresh wave of academic studies that are finally telling the full story of centuries-long abuse and forgotten resistance

Jayla Jackson and Emani Stanton Become the First Black Girl Duo to Win Harvard’s International Debate Competition • EBONY

The Atlanta tandem won the distinction with an undefeated record, which culminated as gifted youths from over 15 countries attempted to take home the grand prize at one of the oldest campus organizations at Harvard University.

Rest in power, Gloria Richardson

Few people who have ever seen this iconic photo of Gloria Richardson pushing a National Guardsman's bayonet aside in Cambridge, Maryland. on July 21, 1963, could ever forget it.

Like many women who were key organizers in the civil rights movement, Richardson, head of the Cambridge Nonviolent Action Committee, never got her due; however, those of us to whom she was a major hero will not forget her contributions.

Now she has passed on, at the age of 99. I hope that, in a time where teaching American history—particularly Black history—is under attack, you will not only honor her memory, but also pass on her story, and follow in her footsteps as we struggle forward.

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response

I tried to decipher from this article about the numbers: Were all these black men and boys killed by cops since the murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis on May 25, 2020? It was unclear, but I think that would be crucial info. Also, crucial, to know how many of the victims were gunned down or strangled by White Cops.

Creepy news:

During Sentencing, Derek Chauvin Finally Breaks His Silence With A Cryptic Message To George Floyd’s Family

A/B

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I tried to decipher from this article about the numbers: Were all these black men and boys killed by cops since the murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis on May 25, 2020? It was unclear, but I think that would be crucial info. Also, crucial, to know how many of the victims were gunned down or strangled by White Cops.

Creepy news:

During Sentencing, Derek Chauvin Finally Breaks His Silence With A Cryptic Message To George Floyd’s Family

A/B

The list starts with recent killings (and/or murders) and works backward past the murder of George Floyd. As far as the race of the cops I'm perhaps less concerned because believe it or not some Black cops also treat Black people with less respect than our non-minority counterparts.

I've saved a similar list that dates back to the August 2003 killing of Cornelius Ware, a 20 year old parapalegic who was shot and killed by Chicago Cop Anthony Blake, for failing to get out of his car on command during a traffic stop.

Ware was pulled over in front of his home for allegedly running a stop sign. His mother who was present reportedly screamed from the sidewalk: "He can't walk! He's paralyzed! He can't get out of the car!" Blake claimed Ware raised a gun, but witnesses claim it was planted. The gun had neither blood nor fingerprints on it. Blake shot Ware five times, reloaded and shot him again.

In February 2007 the city of Chicago paid his family a wrongful death settlement of 5 million dollars. Chicago Police Department Paraplegic Wrongful Death Settlement

Reactions: ActionBuddy

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Last edited:
Reactions: ActionBuddy

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Black VOTES Matter!

"A Guaranteed Victory" - Joy Reid On The GOP's Aim With Voter Restriction Laws

For more of Joy Reid, on vaccinations, etc.:

Black HEALTH Matters!

Joy Reid Doesn't Understand Why Fox News Would Tell Viewers Not To Get Vaccinated

A/B

Reactions: b.c.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Black HOMES Matter!

Housing Discrimination: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

A/B
Thanks for your posts, A.B. This is exactly where I had thought to post the above story after seeing tonight's show.

For me, watching yet ANOTHER REVEAL on that history THEY (who seek to obscure it) don't want us knowing about, immediately brought to mind all the online bigots who showed (and show) up in online forums trying to demean and discredit Black people for what we haven't accomplished in spite of all the historic and PRESENT day shit minorities deal with on a DAILY basis...

and how quick they are to discount and even DENY the long standing SYSTEMIC racism that did and does exist, and the generational, LONG lasting, devastating, RIPPLE EFFECT such discrimination has had across various societal strata.

An excerpt from the segment about the Bruce family (for those who can't be bothered to watch):

In Manhattan Beach, California a house on the sand can cost up to twenty million dollars and Anthony Bruce's family used to own two oceanfront lots. More than one hundred years ago, his great great grandparents Willa and Charles Bruce bought the land for about 1200 dollars. They built a resort called Bruce's lodge. The Ku Klux Klan was involved in harassing them, they burned a cross on the property, and when that didn't drive the Bruces away, the city government decided to take the property under the guise of eminent domain.

Said Oliver, "Wow. so when the cross burning didn't drive the Bruces out of town the city called in a lawyer to finish the job. And that tells you a lot about how racism in America works. Sure, the vigilante racists are spooky, but you've really got to worry when the motherfuckers with advanced degrees show up."
episode summary from https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14940934/?ref_=ttrel_rel_tt:

This week John Oliver talks about housing discrimination - an insidious and widespread form of wealth appropriation which include policies like racial covenants, red-lining, refusal of loans to black veterans under the GI Bill, zoning regulations and practices like realtors steering buyers away from racially integrated neighborhoods. These policies and practices led to devastating effects on black communities, significantly expanding and locking in segregation, as well as leading to massive wealth gap between black and white communities and wide ranging consequences to quality of life such as access to better schools and teachers, cleaner streets, cleaner air and water. John strongly suggests that the solution to this issue is reparations, which is necessary, practical and the right thing to do.
So again, thanks A.B. (and keep those contributions coming... don't want all those little hedgehogs stacking up now, do we? :cool:)

Last edited:

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks for your posts, A.B. This is exactly where I had thought to post the above story after seeing tonight's show.

For me, watching yet ANOTHER REVEAL on that history THEY (who seek to obscure it) don't want us knowing about, immediately brought to mind all the online bigots who showed (and show) up in online forums trying to demean and discredit Black people for what we haven't accomplished in spite of all the historic and PRESENT day shit minorities deal with on a DAILY basis...

and how quick they are to discount and even DENY the long standing SYSTEMIC racism that did and does exist, and the generational, LONG lasting, devastating, RIPPLE EFFECT such discrimination has had across various societal strata.

An excerpt from the segment about the Bruce family (for those who can't be bothered to watch):

In Manhattan Beach, California a house on the sand can cost up to twenty million dollars and Anthony Bruce's family used to own two oceanfront lots. More than one hundred years ago, his great great grandparents Willa and Charles Bruce bought the land for about 1200 dollars. They built a resort called Bruce's lodge. The Ku Klux Klan was involved in harassing them, they burned a cross on the property, and when that didn't drive the Bruces away, the city government decided to take the property under the guise of eminent domain.

Said Oliver, "Wow. so when the cross burning didn't drive the Bruces out of town the city called in a lawyer to finish the job. And that tells you a lot about how racism in America works. Sure, the vigilante racists are spooky, but you've really got to worry when the motherfuckers with advanced degrees show up."
episode summary from https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14940934/?ref_=ttrel_rel_tt:

This week John Oliver talks about housing discrimination - an insidious and widespread form of wealth appropriation which include policies like racial covenants, red-lining, refusal of loans to black veterans under the GI Bill, zoning regulations and practices like realtors steering buyers away from racially integrated neighborhoods. These policies and practices led to devastating effects on black communities, significantly expanding and locking in segregation, as well as leading to massive wealth gap between black and white communities and wide ranging consequences to quality of life such as access to better schools and teachers, cleaner streets, cleaner air and water. John strongly suggests that the solution to this issue is reparations, which is necessary, practical and the right thing to do.
So again, thanks A.B. (and keep those contributions coming... don't want all those little hedgehogs stacking up now, do we? :cool:)

It is awful, sickening, and shockingly amazing what the government of the USA has viscously gotten away with, over these many decades, to prevent Black Americans from owning homes, and gaining family wealth. It is yet another hate-based chapter of the racist history of the USA.

A/B

Reactions: Klingsor and b.c.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
It is awful, sickening, and shockingly amazing what the government of the USA has viscously gotten away with, over these many decades, to prevent Black Americans from owning homes, and gaining family wealth. It is yet another hate-based chapter of the racist history of the USA.

A/B

As I've said, it is the history, the FACTS, that today's PRESENT day supremacists, fascists, and their far right allies DON'T want us to know about.

Nearly five years ago, @sargon20 started this thread in response to those attempting to set the narrative FOR us... to create, for our "enlightenment and empathy a more factual" narrative "based on understanding and clarity."

Or, as he stated in his op,

"...broadening the conversation around state violence to include all of the ways in which Black people are intentionally left powerless at the hands of the state. We are talking about the ways in which Black lives are deprived of our basic human rights and dignity."

In light of their continual attempts to obfuscate historical fact and silence TRUTH, it is OUR duty (imo) to present these stories, documents, and this history... so that the TRUTH WILL OUT.

In today's news:

civil war heroes2.jpg

The emancipation of slaves is central to the story of the American Civil War. But as curator and photographic historian Deborah Willis discovered growing up in the 1950s and '60s, the Black people who served in the conflict are often ignored by the history books.

As she would later learn, almost 180,000 Black soldiers fought for the North in the name of ending slavery. By the end of the war, a tenth of the Union Army was made up of free African American men.

By the end of the war in 1865, 40,000 Black Union soldiers had been killed, of whom three-quarters had died from infection or disease. Many of their individual stories have been lost, but Willis' research uncovered moving tales of Black love, patriotism and bravery. Her recently published book, "The Black Civil War Soldier: A Visual History of Conflict and Citizenship," shines a light on these forgotten soldiers and their families through a rich archive of rarely-seen photographs.

MEANWHILE:

Costa Rican gymnast makes history with Black Lives Matter protest in floor routine

Britons are more likely to view Black Lives Matter as a force for good than ill, data shows

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Thanks for your inspiration and news gathering skills, again, @b.c.
-----

Watch this:

Costa Rican gymnast Luciana Alvarado concludes floor routine with demonstration

A bit off topic,
but when I watched the video of Costa Rican, Luciana Alvarado's, Olympic routine, I was struck not only by her powerful "statement", but also by the fact that for once, (or for as long as I can remember), I was watching a woman who proudly has "got curves", instead of the usual bulimic, skeletal looking waifs of the world of gymnastics.

A/B

Last edited:

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
A bit off topic, but when I watched the video of Costa Rican, Luciana Alvarado's, Olympic routine, I was struck not only by her powerful "statement", but also by the fact that for once, (or for as long as I can remember), I was watching a woman who proudly has "got curves", instead of the usual bulimic, skeletal looking waifs of the world of gymnastics.
A/B

lol. Well if I may also be permitted to digress (and hopefully without coming off as some lecher or something) I take it then you haven't seen Katelyn Ohashi performing her 2019 perfect floor routine (it was all over the news back then), a wonderfully off the chain, free-spirited blast, performed by a young lady who, by her own account, underwent body shaming for most of her life (because people can be SHITS sometimes).

Though I'd hardly be inclined to call the lovely Ms. Biles "bulimic" either.

Last edited:

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
lol. Well if I may also be permitted to digress (and hopefully without coming off as some lecher or something) I take it then you haven't seen Katelyn Ohashi performing her 2019 perfect floor routine (it was all over the news back then), a wonderfully off the chain, free-spirited blast, performed by a young lady who, by her own account, underwent body shaming for most of her life (because people can be SHITS sometimes).

Though I'd hardly be inclined to call the lovely Ms. Biles "bulimic" either.

Actually, yes, I do remember her, and her victory... Thanks for the reminder.

A/B