Black on White Racism in my area. Media dont say shit about it.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by datdude, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Sinten

Sinten New Member

pardon my english, it's not my first language...
    As a Native American, I know the effects of racism all too well. It isn't too fun being part of the unheard minority who originally resided on this big piece of what is now concrete shit. I don't really have too much to contribute that hasn't been already said, but I'll go ahead and post this anyways for my own sake. I grew up in a poor area with mainly black kids in Georgia, and from my experience, there is no norm to define the typical black or white person. All groups of people are filled with hypocritical bigots. I'm used to being called red skinned and having typical 'indian' noises you would hear in westerns made in my direction and countless lame jokes about my women being raped and being a part of a 'pussy' race because my ancestors were largely wiped out. My people receive no media attention, we are a tiny minority with little voice in anything, and the amount of ignorance surrounding our culture from outsiders is overwhelming. It's safe to say that people largely disgust me, and I think that the stereotype of drunken Natives is a somewhat fair one. How else are we to cope with how ridiculous our situation is? From my perspective, white guilt is ridiculous. Why can't whites be proud of their ethnicity, and why is reverse discrimination fair? Discrimination is never fair, rational, or justified. No ifs, ands or buts. I don't care if your ancestors were made into slaves for a few hundred years. My ancestors were systematically eliminated from their own homeland and I don't hold any grudge against whites for it. Sure, I'd piss on their ancestor's graves, but they didn't do anything to deserve my hate. Stop the fucking pity party and lose the grudges. The world would be so much better if people didn't hold chips on their shoulders all the time. Anyways, I live in Texas now and am routinely mislabeled as being Hispanic despite my large stature, fairer complexion and traditional Amerindian locks. I will never escape cultural ignorance or stupidity, even here on the internet where I would always hope it wouldn't rear its ugly head...sorry if my post seems like an aimless piece of stream of consciousness

2. B_cigarbabe

B_cigarbabe New Member

Great post Sinten! There is no pity party going on for me here.I just cannot
    and will not,excuse this child,and his reverse discrimination complaint.
    I might have, had he supplied the article and made note of where he lives
    but he still hasn't done that.
    I don't believe he ever will because that shit,probably never happened.
    You continue to make dumb generalizations about everybody who has disagreed with you, But when asked to prove { by me}that there are no white gangs where you live, or provide the article, you keep spouting crap about how beat up you were,only because you are white. You claim you had, very good friends who are black, when you were a teen,but if you did
    they would have stuck up for you like most peoples friends do,and you wouldn't have got your ass kicked,true? I haven't tried to give you a history lesson either,you must have all us colored folks mixed up, we all
    sound and write alike,right!?!
    On the topic that you don't care what color I am,bullshit. You are just pissed off because, you had to be corrected by Osiris and njqt, and that you weren't bright enough to realize itfrom my writings to you! You said you weren't going to debate this anymore,but here you go, spouting more, unfactual drivel.
    On a personal note, I don't believe your'e in college,either no teacher would accept this atrocious spelling,claiming you write fast isn't an excuse.
    Again I'll say; Show us the article which happened in your supposed neighborhood or please,fly,fly,fly the hell out of this thread. You did threaten to leave didn't you? Go! oh yeah, please explain to me what
    "you keep trying to bring out history and the entire us into a place where it does not play and bring in things about myslef [sic}that yu [sic] have no proff of saying.
    What in the fuck does that mean?
    If you actually read what I said you couldn't post this crap.
    Best wishes in your new neighborhood.
    cigarbabe:saevilw:

3. B_cigarbabe

B_cigarbabe New Member

Unfortunately Sinten,hypocritical bigots and their ilk, are just as prevalent, on the internet, where people can hide behind their usernames, and spout drivel that none of their friends would put up with! I have no doubt you already know this! I am black,white,and Pamunkey!
    C.B.:saevilw:

4. datdude

datdude New Member

I just find it amazing that you would disagree when I say I have experianced racism where I live. You talk about generlazations but you keep saying things like; if you had friends they stick up for you right? How would you know anyhting about what went on where I live, or the groups that ran around the nieghborhoods.

You attacked me I did not attack you and then you pull the spell card, your writing sucks. Its a shame there are people out there like you. So quick to insult and judge. So quick to call someone a racist.

Its even ashame that I have to prove it to you. If someone told me about racism they experianced I would believe them because I know it goes on everywhere. I just dont exclude it to a few races.

Here your link:

Paging Al Sharpton - VA Teen Beaten By Blacks | Sweetness & Light

5. Principessa

Gold Member

ROTFLMAO
    Give it a rest . . . please. :biggrin1:

A wise woman, and dear friend once made a comment to me as I was about to engage in a battle at work. She said, "Is this the hill you want to die on?" Trust me, this is not the hill on which you want to die.

6. datdude

datdude New Member

I will give it a rest. I just cant belive somepeople on this board and how they attack you, for something you experianced. How you have to prove it to them. THough Ill put it to bed now.:cool:

7. Drifterwood

Gold Member

You are quite right to call him out for the evidence CB. I should have noticed the lack of supporting evidence in the OP.

Sadly though in the UK we have plenty of examples. If you search the BBC website for racially motivated murder, you get 24 pages of results.

BBC NEWS | England | London | Gang guilty of 'white man' murder

BBC NEWS | England | Kent | Race murder appeal four weeks on

The UK became acutely aware of this problem and the institutional racism identified in our Police Forces after the Stephen Lawrence case.

BBC NEWS | Special Report | 1999 | 02/99 | Stephen Lawrence | The Lawrence inquiry

The Lawrence family have been recognised with an award from the Queen for their dignity in dealing with their loss and discrimination at the hands of the Police. I believe that their integrity has helped race relations in the UK enormously. They paid a very high price for us to see that we stood squarely behind them and not the scum who murdered their young son.

8. dong20

Gold Member

In practical terms, in the 'real' world I would disagree with myself too and agree with you. Yes, the 'world' does enforce and perpetuate such attitudes but it doesn't do so an entity in its own right. It is a simple truth that the world is how we make it. If we as people decide to treat others with contempt for no valid reason (and skin colour is about an invalid reason as I can imagine) it's our choice to do so. Human nature is such that we are comfortable with the familiar, so perhaps we are victims of our own nature, such that rational thought cannot overcome some innate bias against someone who is 'different' to 'me'. If that's the case, it's a sad indictment.

To respond to what you wrote, in the abstract it's a very strange thing that someone would suggest one would or should aspire to being white (or any other such thing, blue eyes maybe), as it that alone was a vehicle for a better life. The sad thing is and to 'disagree' (again) with my earlier post, here in the west there is some truth in that.

It does make me 'smile' when I hear someone say I'm Black and proud of it. While I understand the sentiment on a personal level, in the abstract it's entirely nonsensical, isn't it? Asthetics aside, why should skin colour be a source of pride...it makes no sense, it's not as if it's the result of hard work or dedicated study (other in than the deeply ironic sense of working hard on a nice deep sun tan). I find it equally ironic that someone saying I'm white and pround of it is blatantly provocative. Again, I'm speaking in the abstract here, of course I understand why but the irony is no less for that understanding.

My statement about mutual respect was, I agree an idealistic one, but when we sacrifice our ideals because it's easier that standing by them, what does that say...that they were not worth having in the first place, that when we are treated badly we should cave or strike back in the same way that we found so offensive in the first place, or that attack is the best form of defence? Certainly there are some here that would appear to subsribe to that philosophy, I don't judge them for it, but neither will I accept being judged by them for holding an opposing belief.

Should we sacrifice a little to stand in the face of blatant bigotry, perhaps, after all, the concept of personal sacrifice generally involves some sacrifice. Again, that's idealistic and I'll happily concede that ideals may count for little when our 'enemies' have opposing ones, or possibly none at all. If I said I stand by my principles and ideals all the time I'd be a liar. They almost certainly won't get us a better job, our kids through school...the list goes on.

CB, as I said, I spoke from my experience, from what I believe to be true for me and I'd agree wholeheartedly that people do not necessarily reciprocate when treated with respect and fairness. Of course you're free to disagree but that doesn't (or shouldn't) render either of our viewpoints invalid, merely different.

9. playainda336

Gold Member

Albums:
    As one of the Black people on this forum, I want to let you know that I definitely feel for you and you bring up an issue that needs to be dealt with; however, the issue that you speak of is one that seems almost impossible to tackle.

The Double Standard of Racism.

Yes, there is a double standard. Black people have been treated HORRIBLY in this country, because of that, we lash back out in the same anger and hatred that was placed upon us...but we tend to lash out on the people who didn't have any anger and hatred towards us in the first place. The people who didn't hate and have anger now do, and it becomes a vicious cycle that is in perpetual and continual motion and seems will last until the end of time.

What do you do about such a problem? The problem is so ingrained into older generations that they cannot see it. Younger generations learn from older generations and who will step out and say anything different. If you speak out against your elders, you are unruly. If you say anything that shows "favor" towards "the other side" you are a traitor to your race.

How DO you tackle such a problem? The idea perplexes me beyond measure.

How do I feel about people like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson? They are the true race traitors. What person who honestly declares to speak out against racism would allow themselves to be blinded to such a double standard that so blatantly exists in this country. If you ask me, they are both employed by the Klu Klux Klan to prevent race relations in this country from becoming better. By rallying Black people together to polarize on issues as "a race" is defeating the purpose of negating and neutralizing racism. If they were truly against racism, they would rally ALL people on the issue that something was just SIMPLY WRONG and needs to be dealt with as a HUMAN race. Which they do not do.

This is, in short, what happens anytime they step into a situation:

Issue where Black and White people involved occurs.
    Jesse/Al steps in and throws the race card.
    Jesse/Al rally all Black people and say "That'z rayciss! We'z gon' git 'um!"
    Jesse/Al attack White people who were not even involved and have no say so in the matter.
    White people who were not involved get angry.
    White people who were not involved, now get protection from the group that "seems to stand up for them".
    More White people join the KKK.
    Black people disperse when Al/Jesse are thrown a bone and go back to their regular lives...seperated. And hating each other at the same time. Because all Black people hate each other more than they hate White people...it's a fact.

So when you access a situation like this, how can you NOT see that Jesse/Al are Klu Klux Klan members. They are freaking rallying Klu Klux Klan members everytime they speak!

I don't understand this country...and I don't know how to tackle the issue.

That's the other thing, people don't listen to you unless you're Martin Luther King. Too bad he's dead. And also too bad people like Jesse/Al misconstrue his message.

10. playainda336

Gold Member

Albums:
    On the issue of what the world promotes? I'd have to say that I believe that the media (as a whole) is actually the strongest advocate of eracism. Not that everything is fully equally represented or anything, but they put issues out there in the simplest light possible. They do utilize stereotypes, but let's get over it. We need to air out the skeletons in our closet if they we are to ever get rid of this issue. But for the most part, on TV shows, even if the cast is all White, when they go out to eat, you see a mixture of races at the restaurant. When they go to the store, you see a mixture of races at the store. The mere fact that they exist at those places is a simple nod in recognition that, "hey they do exist...and hey, they look just like...'regular'...normal even."

Even if a stereotyped character exists, nowadays you see a lot more of those stereotypes used positively. Ergo, a young Black teen who looks like a gang member and is very reserved, yet snappy at the beginning of the episode is made to look like he is the hero of the story by the end of the episode. At the end, you are made to think, "Well, maybe I shouldn't have thought so badly of him in the beginning.

If we are to get over racism, we need to start telling White jokes around White people and Black jokes around Black people. How to integrate such a travesty is beyond my comprehension, as well.

Why do I say this? Well, because only in saying it amongst friends will you realize how asinine the joke was to begin with...and how wrong it is for you to have said it.

11. Drifterwood

Gold Member

I understand why you would say "I am Black and proud", Dong. All minorities who feel that a majority has tried to make them feel inferior will say it, whether you are Welsh or Irish or Scottish in the UK or Black in America.

When you can stop the herd mentality of the majority in their attempts to push their presumed superiority down other people's throats, you will be on the road to eliminating some racism.

Equally Playalinda (great post IMO), most reasonable people realise that racism is dumb. If the majority make it clear that being a racist is being an asshole (and usually stupid), then most people will choose not to be an asshole. That counts for both sides.

12. johns39

johns39 New Member

Albums:
    OMG that's like bitching about the lack of media reports on gay people teasing/harassing Heteros. The simple fact is that if you are not a minority, but a victum of racism or any other negative attention, nobody seems to care. Writing your concerns on a large penis blog is a start - but maybe have more of an effect and start an organization to rally behind your cause.

13. dong20

Gold Member

I said I understood why someone may say it, I just said that IMO in a strict meaning of the word 'pride' in this context makes little sense. Pride suggests (to me) some form of personal accomplishment, and one's skin colour isn't so much an accomplishment as a physical feature, much like shoe size. The word really doesn't matter that much and it doesn't merit any deeper discussion which can only serve to detract from the bigger picture.:smile:

Yes, but said minorities are not without some share in culpability in contributing toward a situation unwelcome by the majority of said 'majority', a couple of posters have (it seems to me) also suggested this.

I also believe that a few on both sides of any divisive issue will have a stake in perpetuating it, thus ensuring their sad and empty lives have some fragment of worth, and of course garnering plenty of free media coverage to boost their fragile egos. But then, I'm a cynic.

Ignoring that fact that you're implying logic enters into what is patently an illogical position; it would seem to me that most reasonable people are not racist to begin with and those being assholes are generally among the very last to realise it, admit and then take steps to address it, by definition. Still, every step in the right direction helps.

On the flip side, it also seems likely that those that are overtly and intentionally racist by nature are the least likely to change, they are quite possibly entirely content being assholes. The misinformed may be helped, but in the end I suspect there will always be some residual noise.

14. B_Trues

B_Trues New Member

the current white generation has absolutely nothing responsible to do with the previous white people, also, many of the previous white people did lots of good to improve the lives of blacks, i mean just look at Africa, blacks are much better off with whites than on their own as stats show, but yes we are all human beings, and their are smart, dumb, evil and good people from all sides, and it is not right to stereotype peoples skin color, as one cannot change skin color, or at least yet.
    But yes, I have a muslim cousins, and as a child, they were also always making fun about how 'white' i look, although I am slightly tan, and how I should tan myself, and all sorts of other anti-white remarks, i have never insulted their culture or religion, as flamboyantly idiotic as I see it.
    What I am also saying is that I think their is a strong Anti-White-skin zeitgeist going on in the world right now, I mean, have you ever noticed, how white people, willingly listen to 50 cent and such, I never see black people listening to white music.
    It is kind of cool to mock the current and innocent white man right now.
    Black supremacy is cool. I mean, how many black's only schools are their, and esp. in South Africa, where whites are even banned from certain "Blacks Only" parties, yes you heard right, and the current white youth are banned from getting work in most places for what half of their grand parents supported.
    I understand your views, and the same kind of thing buggs me too.

We have to find a way to solve this, because people should be judged individually, and are not responsible for what their parents done or their skin color.

15. dong20

Gold Member

I'm inclined to agree. I'm sure some would argue this approach would merely reinforce and validate stereotypical thinking (and they may be right) but to me, desensitisation by exposure is often an effective means toward neutralising an unwanted phenomenon.

I've also said here before that laughing at our own caricatures is a step toward seeing them for the parodies they are. It's undoubtably a fine and tricky balance to strike, you first....:tongue:

16. playainda336

Gold Member

Albums:
    Dude, you make me want to cry. Ignorance, this is. Africa was not always the way it looks now. Africa was a land where people lived very peacefully. Each country had it's own King and their stature was that of Europe around the same time. They adorned themselves with gold and diamonds and communities were built where all people shared all things. It wasn't until the Europeans came into the country with these things called guns and instigated a power struggle amongst its rulers and raped the country of its youth that Africa hit it's all time low. It never really recovered from that. For the record, Africa isn't just a bunch of tribes running around in dirt shooting each other. It has cities much like the World cities that every other continent has. The only difference is that it's people are still fighting each other in a power struggle for who can get the biggest guns, the baddest weapons.

Like I said, everything was fine when everyone was equal. The introduction of guns inspired the downward spiral into what it is today. That being said, if not for the European rape of Africa, it is impossible to predict what it would be today. It's a plight that could have happened to ANY people, but it happened to the Africans. The result is the plight of both Black Americans AND Africans, but it's up to the choices that we make now with better and sound mind as to how we resolve them.

Black supremacy? Surely, you jest. There is a double standard on racism, but I am not sure you understand what you are saying. White people are never banned from going to Black schools or attending Black functions, etc. They choose not to go. In fact, most Black institutions invite White people to attend and give them scholarships and everything just for showing up.

In fact, I was just talking to a little kid yesterday about which Middle School I went to. The kid said that she wanted to go to that school, but her teacher told her to tell her parents not to send her to my Middle School. Why? Her teacher said, "I would just die, if you went there!!"

What's wrong with my Middle School? Absolutely nothing, it's one of two Middle School magnet programs in the county. Why shouldn't she go there? Well, it's a Black school. The little kid was a little red haired girl.

I kinda shook my head and became saddened a bit. But this is the world we live in.
    Definitely. We as a younger generation need to use our 20/20 hindsight and not focus on what happened before, but focus on how we can make better today.

17. playainda336

Gold Member

Albums:
    At this point, exposure is the ONLY option. Yelling and rallying people is becoming quite ineffective.

And hahahah...you're right. It lies on who deals the first blow. Everyone would be scared to do it.

18. Drifterwood

Gold Member

I think you mentioned the nurturing of racism, one wouldn't nurture someone to be an asshole.

:smile:

19. playainda336

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's not that people nurture others into being an asshole. Certain qualities and levels of respect are learned in the home and only in branching out and seeing the world for yourself are you even able to facilitate the possibility of understanding reality from a different perspective. All the more reason we need to do things as individuals to end it all.
    How insensitive. :(

But it's a comment like this that would have him joining the KKK. "join and organization and rally behind your cause." God forbid we have any more organizations on race.

Also, it's absurd to hear of gay people harassing straight people...though, I'm sure it's not unheard of.

20. Hotrocker

Hotrocker Well-Known Member

Albums:
    I would describe today's America as reversed to what it was when it was first established. No longer are whites the most privileged race here. Its quite sad that we're not all equal STILL. When the fuck is it okay to call a white dude a "honky" or "cracker" to his face and expect little or no response. "HONKY/CRACKER' IS THE SAME AS "NIGGER." Don't be ignorant by saying that the word "nigger" is worse in severity than any other derogatory term... just because of the past controversy over it. There is no level of offense as far as derogatory terms go. I've seen white guys get called these things back when I attended high school and those in authority did nothing... but GOD FORBID a white guy call a black dude a nigger. Look at the movie "Undercover Brother." However comical, its degrading towards whites. lol, what if we reversed the roles and made a movie making fun of blacks? NAACP would have a shit fit about it and react like the slimy pussies they are. WE NEED TRUE EQUALITY.

Black/Hispanic/Asian people are restricted NOTHING in 21st century America. They're not disenfranchised, they're not withheld privileges, they're not looked down upon by the establishment, etc... so please: STOP FUCKING ACTING AS THOUGH THEY ARE, PEOPLE.

This is not a tirade of hatred. This is not a rant against colors. This is a protest to the ignorance of those that think they're owed something. Go fuck yourselves.

Draft saved Draft deleted