black president or female president

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm not particularly political but I think the American president has a particularly tough job to be pleasing to the majority just because of the huge and very different groups (both economic and ethnic) there are in America. A president is supposed to represent the majority of the people and while he might win the majority of the vote the groups within American society are so huge that even the smallest minority there can have a voice that's well heard. A woman president might be offensive to certain groups, a black president might be unacceptable to conservatives in certain areas, a president who's a bit of a redneck would be acceptable to black people, the middle classes and a number of other groups. Not sure if I conveyed what I meant on that.
I think your point is that the vast diversity of cultures and interests in the US make it difficult for a given candidate to appeal to everyone. This is certainly true, but it is often mitigated by the fact that the American people can be united behind certain causes and ideals. Naturally, fear is one of those causes that easily unites the US public, but so can the hope that a leader could unite all the disparate forces in the US when it comes to solving the tough national and international problems.

Some candidates are able to project that ability in such as way as to inspire people to unite across many differences. JFK was able to do that, and Clinton was pretty good at doing that during his campaign. There is a cultural thread that runs underneath the American psyche that says that as a people we are an egalitarian, tolerant, fair, decent, culture that promotes the notion of opportunity for all.

Whether it gets realized or not is not the issue when it comes to elections. What is germaine is that a particular candidate can make us feel like Jack Nicholson when talking to Helen Hunt in "As Good As It Gets", when he says, "You make me want to be a better man."

Barack Obama has the history, the intelligence, the speaking style, and the charisma that allows him to project that same kind of inspiration to people of all groups. It is interesting in this very polarized time, that quite a few Republicans like the guy and many have said that Obama has a talent for making you feel like he understand your position and respects it.

It remains to be seen if he can inspire people to unite long enough to elect him President, and it also remains to be seen if he could realize the kind of unity in American politics that he advocates during his speeches.

It is possible for a President to do this, however, such as when JFK united the country enough to jump start the space program from nothing to getting us to the moon ten years later (even without him at the end).

As you watch the campaign clips in the UK, notice how each candidate works hard to try to unite his diverse listeners behind something emotional, such as fear of terrorism, fear of economic ruin, fear of taxes, fear of illegal immigrants, fear of losing a voice to powerful special interests, while others try to unite people around the hopes and challenges of the future.

American presidential election politics is anything but boring.

B_Italian1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Maybe we should change President once a month?? :eek: Sort of like the flavor of the month at Baskin Robbins...
Yeah. I love ice cream. :laola:

Barack Obama has the history, the intelligence, the speaking style, and the charisma that allows him to project that same kind of inspiration to people of all groups. It is interesting in this very polarized time, that quite a few Republicans like the guy and many have said that Obama has a talent for making you feel like he understand your position and respects it.

He lacks experience.

It remains to be seen if he can inspire people to unite long enough to elect him President, and it also remains to be seen if he could realize the kind of unity in American politics that he advocates during his speeches.

That's the million dollar question.

American presidential election politics is anything but boring.

That's true. Let's hope we're not counting "chads" this time. :biggrin1: :rolleyes:

lovesmen

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease don't make it about black v. female. Look at the individual candidates and what they plan on doing. If you think Edwards or Giuliani is the best choice, select one of them. Don't default to Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama simply because they're minorities and it's about time. I agree, a non-white president is long overdo but I'll be damned if I vote for someone because of something that should be meaningless. It's unfair to them, as well. Do you really think either want to be elected simply because of gender or race? That belittles there position.

I know this is late but I 100% agree.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
He lacks experience.

That's true. Let's hope we're not counting "chads" this time. :biggrin1: :rolleyes:

On the other hand, GWB's advisors were some of the most experienced people in Washington, having served two or three presidents in various strategic positions. I am not impressed with what they accomplished. I am not sure that experience is all there is to running a country.

Yes, if it gets down to counting chads in one county in Florida again, I am going to be very disappointed.

B_Italian1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
On the other hand, GWB's advisors were some of the most experienced people in Washington, having served two or three presidents in various strategic positions. I am not impressed with what they accomplished. I am not sure that experience is all there is to running a country.

And that's what happens. It's no different than being a manager, interviewing a prospective employee, hiring him/her, and then once they start working, they're not really fit for the job. Washington is almost like the real world. Wait, Washington is the real world. :tongue:

Yes, if it gets down to counting chads in one county in Florida again, I am going to be very disappointed.

If that happens in Florida again I want them kicked out of the US. They can become part of Cuba or whatever, and we'll go back to 49 states. And I love the sunshine state. :smile:

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah. I love ice cream. :laola:

He lacks experience.

That's the million dollar question.

I have yet to decide who I am going to vote for but the comment about individuals lacking experience may not be as devastating as one my think. I remember one of America's greatest presidents, Abraham Lincoln. If he ran today I am sure him being inexperienced would be just one of a number of reasons one might not chose to elect him.

Axcess

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Is really United States ready for a black president or a female president ?
Most americans voters would vote for a woman and or a black guy?
I seriously doubt it. I would be surprised if that happen in 2008 elections.

Axcess

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Don't get me wrong . I would like that to happen but I don't think that most people in USA and in many others countries have evolved enough yet to accept this positive changes.

hotguy8884

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I want Hilary Clinton to win because I hate black people.

NO! I'm totally kidding. Was that too far? I actually LOVE black people.

I dont have a preferable candidate, cause I live in Canada, and I could care less who is the president of the US.

Doesn't matter who it is though, the important thing is that it's not Bush.

Rob <3

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think Hillary would be great and i'm not opposed to the idea of a black president, but I do not support Obama and it would be sad to see him win if he is not qulified.

How in the hell was George ("internets" :rolleyes:) W. qualified? Obama is just as qualified as any other Presidential candidate.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Is really United States ready for a black president or a female president ?
Most americans voters would vote for a woman and or a black guy?
I seriously doubt it. I would be surprised if that happen in 2008 elections.

Don't get me wrong . I would like that to happen but I don't think that most people in USA and in many others countries have evolved enough yet to accept this positive changes.

I hear ya, David. But my feeling is that there is always progress on these two fronts as we move forward. In my lifetime, we have gone from separate drinking fountains for blacks to one almost winning two presidential primaries. So at some point in our history, we will inevitably elect a black man or a woman as president.

Combine that with this particular special moment where people are disillusioned, angry, and looking for change at almost any cost. These are times when obscure state governers get elected merely as a protest against the status quo. If we are going to elect a black person or a woman as president, it is a time like this, if not actually this particular time.

Also, combine that with the fact that Obama has a very rare political charisma. It is not very often that people are referred to as the reincarnation of RFK, be they white or black. So early in his career, he already has the capability to inspire people to look towards the horizon rather than snipe across their cultural war zones. He is also brilliant generally, and has devoted his career to public service. The books he has written are astonishingly intelligent and insightful about life, politics, and hope. Obama's capabilities transcend race to the point where he would be considered an examplary member of any race. Whether or not this carries him to the White House remains to be seen.

Then you have Hillary, who when Bill Clinton was elected, she was considered one of the top 100 lawyers in the country. By now she has more experience than any woman in the country when it comes to governance, management, politics, and brand recognition. I think there are very few people who would vote against her thinking she doesn't have the competence or experience. The NH primary might have shown that her one moment of vulnerability dropped the one and only barrier to her electibility. My theory is that the voters (particularly the women) in NH saw her as electable, competent, and gave them the feeling that she could keep the country safe from all that plagues it. The one thing that remained was a feeling that although she could get the job done, she was so aloof and professional that she might not do that job "for me".

Her moment of showing her personal commitment and care for the country, may have dropped that last barrier. It remains to be seen if she can sustain the almost impossible balancing act of a woman who can appear simultaneously as extremely competent (and even kick butt competent) and compassionate and caring at the same time. Americans don't have an image of what that looks like, but Hillary just might invent it in front of our eyes.

My point is, that there is a confluence of so many factors in this election that I think race and gender discrimination in the voting public may be overcome by one or more of them.

Or, it could be I am just full of shit and like hearing myself talk.

Then you have

swordfishME

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
And that's what happens. It's no different than being a manager, interviewing a prospective employee, hiring him/her, and then once they start working, they're not really fit for the job. Washington is almost like the real world. Wait, Washington is the real world. :tongue:

There is no experience that you can gain anywhere in the world that allows you to be President of the United States. The closest you can come is someone being allowed to observe upclose the job being done first hand like a Vice President or a First Lady. But in a catch-22, that makes you the ultimate insider and when the populace wants change......

GWB lacked significant washington experience and to me it is what is his undoing. I lived in Texas while he was Goveror and Governor George Bush and President George Bush at times do not seem to be the same person. He worked well with a democratic house in TeXas wheras he cant even pretend to be civil to the democratic congress in DC. He needed experience not in running a country but in picking advisors and cabinets that were less self serving and more loyal.

Axcess

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I hear ya, David. But my feeling is that there is always progress on these two fronts as we move forward. In my lifetime, we have gone from separate drinking fountains for blacks to one almost winning two presidential primaries. So at some point in our history, we will inevitably elect a black man or a woman as president.

Combine that with this particular special moment where people are disillusioned, angry, and looking for change at almost any cost. These are times when obscure state governers get elected merely as a protest against the status quo. If we are going to elect a black person or a woman as president, it is a time like this, if not actually this particular time.

Also, combine that with the fact that Obama has a very rare political charisma. It is not very often that people are referred to as the reincarnation of RFK, be they white or black. So early in his career, he already has the capability to inspire people to look towards the horizon rather than snipe across their cultural war zones. He is also brilliant generally, and has devoted his career to public service. The books he has written are astonishingly intelligent and insightful about life, politics, and hope. Obama's capabilities transcend race to the point where he would be considered an examplary member of any race. Whether or not this carries him to the White House remains to be seen.

Then you have Hillary, who when Bill Clinton was elected, she was considered one of the top 100 lawyers in the country. By now she has more experience than any woman in the country when it comes to governance, management, politics, and brand recognition. I think there are very few people who would vote against her thinking she doesn't have the competence or experience. The NH primary might have shown that her one moment of vulnerability dropped the one and only barrier to her electibility. My theory is that the voters (particularly the women) in NH saw her as electable, competent, and gave them the feeling that she could keep the country safe from all that plagues it. The one thing that remained was a feeling that although she could get the job done, she was so aloof and professional that she might not do that job "for me".

Her moment of showing her personal commitment and care for the country, may have dropped that last barrier. It remains to be seen if she can sustain the almost impossible balancing act of a woman who can appear simultaneously as extremely competent (and even kick butt competent) and compassionate and caring at the same time. Americans don't have an image of what that looks like, but Hillary just might invent it in front of our eyes.

My point is, that there is a confluence of so many factors in this election that I think race and gender discrimination in the voting public may be overcome by one or more of them.

Or, it could be I am just full of shit and like hearing myself talk.

Then you have
Man don't talk like that , you never talk shit.:smile::smile: I agree with what you said . Those candidates are very qualified and competent . Most people shouldn't have many reasons to denied the oportunity to them of being a good president. USA need a change fast , the current administration fuck up the country. The real question like I said in my previous post is : Do americans has evolved enough to let a woman or a black guy be the president of USA? Soon we will find out. I doubt that it will happen so soon as 2008 election but I agree that it will eventually happen .

tim36

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Man don't talk like that , you never talk shit.:smile::smile: I agree with what you said . Those candidates are very qualified and competent . Most people shouldn't have many reasons to denied the oportunity to them of being a good president. USA need a change fast , the current administration fuck up the country. The real question like I said in my previous post is : Do americans has evolved enough to let a woman or a black guy be the president of USA? Soon we will find out. I doubt that it will happen so soon as 2008 election but I agree that it will eventually happen .

I agree it will definitely happen soon in this century, im not so sure it will be now, in 2008, I guess we all will have to wait and see and vote, make our voices heard.

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The punched card systems in Florida are gone. All of them.
If that happens in Florida again I want them kicked out of the US. They can become part of Cuba or whatever, and we'll go back to 49 states. And I love the sunshine state. :smile:
In the 1980's, Key West expressed an interest in seceding, either from Florida or USA. Thus the term: "Conch Republic". Some of them weren't kidding though.

Likewise, among some Floridians there's a secessionist sentiment. Some of us (hint: includes me) are really tired of the chad comments. If secession was put to vote, I'd have contemplate it. I'm not being facetious, I'm damned serious.

Be careful suggesting kicking Florida "out of the US". Secession activity might get stirred up.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I knew it would come to this and it's what, just the 3rd or 4th event ? (We've had Iowa, NH, now Michigan and they haven't even gone to the 4th state, before sexism and racism is being slung like mud.) Screw both of them. I'm voting Republican ! They just don't realize, in their zeal to keep the other from winning, they drive too many as far away from this issue as possible. To have to make a choice between the two only brings up the issue. If you're not for one or the other, it must obviously (sarcastically) be because of gender or race ?

"http://apnews.excite.com/article/20080114/D8U5EKLO0.html"

KYKatgirl

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I originally was leaning towards Obama because he's very eloquent and I like his ideas. But then I went to his church's website and it changed everything. My denomination is very closely aligned with his denomination and I thought that was cool. His church is very exclusive and a bit extremist so I guess I'm for Hillary.

frgman

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I like Obama but not cause he is black and I like Hillary, but not cause she is a women. But you know what I would really like? If they were a team. Yep, the President and the Vice-President. Damn, what a team--------------------!