Blackberry vs. iPhone

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I needed to replace my phone about 1.5 years ago and really spent a lot of time researching my options, which, because I'm a Metro PCS user, were somewhat limited.

Their Blackberry seemed cool, but I just couldn't justify the price (just a hair under $400 if memory serves), and they had some silly iPhone knock-off that was nearly as expensive as the Blackberry but came with a stylus that the clerk told me was really necessary, as the touch-screen feature wasn't entirely dependable, so I passed.

They had some really cheap-ass phones but figured that, at under $50 one gets what one pays for, and some clamshell phones which just seemed too old hat for consideration. I wound up with a Samsung "smart phone" with a slide-out QWERT keyboard that claimed to be internet accessible, which was just over $200 and more easily justified. As I text more often than actually call anybody, the keyboard was a strong selling feature for me. It also has 2 gigs of internal memory, which is helpful for the MP3 player function, and a camera which I have come to feel is a requirement on my phone.

Once the thrill of the new phone wore off, I came to realize that my "smart phone" was a bit of a slow learner, and that navigating the web with that tiny 2.25 x 1.5 inch screen was a very taxing feature that was neither intuitive nor reliable. Besides, the load time was ridiculous. After about three months I cut my phone bill in half by eliminating the internet connectivity feature and am perfectly content with enjoying the features it performs well. At this point, my only beef is with the battery, which inexplicably can last for days or just a few hours, despite using the same charge method. It (the battery) also has a funny way of bouncing loose and shutting the phone down, so I need to be careful about sudden, jarring movements, especially if I just put it in my bag and not in a special pocket. The external numerical keypad also has a tendency to dial random numbers or launch apps that can be annoying.

When the time comes to replace it, I'll probably stick with something fairly similar, unless the Blackberries come way down in price, especially if some future job requires remote internet connectivity. But if and when I do so, status will be the last of my concerns; in a world where virtually everything you own and wear defines one's status I find super-expensive phones a needless extravagance and yet another way of putting on airs.

Oh, and the iPhone's touch-screen keyboard blows serious goats.