Blame it on the Bossa Nova...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by naughty, Jun 5, 2006.

1. naughty

Gold Member

Since I couldnt seem to keep the thread on Sergio Mendes alive on its own , perhaps the more broad category of the sexy Brazillian vintage sensation, Bossa Nova can have another chance on this thread..... Stronzo, this is your cue...

2. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I used to be able to do the Bossa Nova. Not bad, really, for a Square Dancer.

3. naughty

Gold Member

Really? Do tell.... I remember my parents dancing it as well as some of their friends as a small child. I remember the women looking their hipster best in black capris and crisp white shirts.... I think the music just makes your hips move that way by default....

4. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Cue willingly taken!:smile:

During college naughty (undergrad) I met, one summer, a girl who's locally famous here in Massachusetts named Rebecca Parris. I was spending the summer being a bad boy and staying up all hours and living the high life. However in the midst of all that I met Becky. So I'm blaming my Bossa Nova on her. She's made for the genre and she's as appealing personally as she is musically. When someone can make me stand perfectly still and lose sight of everything but the music that's real talent in my estimation. Becky can do that.

Becky sang when we closed down the restaurant in Hyannis and it turned into a supper club. Here voice is absolutely superb and she got me started on my passion (increasingly more obscure in its manifestation) in Brazillian Jazz per se. Her rendition of "So Many Stars" is beyond good though I've only ever heard her sing it live and I don't think she's ever recorded it.

Here's a bit of my friend Becky: http://www.rebeccaparris.com/

Here's a snippet of darling Becky's version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow and in it she has that smoky Jack Daniel's quality that you describe in Shirley Horn:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000005BX1/ref=m_art_pr_4/102-8025279-4834504?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=5174

Enjoy.

5. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

naughty?

I'm getting off topic a bit re the Bossa Nova but this is, let's say, is an outcropping.

Do you know Jane Monheit? I saw her in cabaret in Provincetown last summer and she's superb. Try a listen to "In the Still of the Night" (cut #5) and tell me what you think.

There's a purity to her voice that show real promise.

Sorry to stray from your topic premise.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AQKYRI/102-8025279-4834504?v=glance&n=5174

6. naughty

Gold Member

Stronzo,

I looooove her voice. I will definitely recommend her. She sounds like a cross between a young Rosemary Clooney and Phyllis Hyman. It does have a smokey amber quality to it but not quite as ravaged as Shirley's.

7. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Can't STAND IT! You got me all hot and bothered and I need an Astrud fix:

If you haven't already listened here's Getz au Go Go ... (#7 The Telephone Song). There's that heavenly Getz sax-whining "bray" at the beginning. He freaking opens the SONG with it!! It's heaven. God I love that song. As you mention her voice becomes an instrument in Getz's ensemble... indeed very exactly in this particular song.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000046TR/102-8025279-4834504?v=glance&n=5174

Sorry! Wrong link first time out...

8. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

9. naughty

Gold Member

What perfect music for a road trip al fresco! I have got to get a copy of this album I love Astrud . She is just the epitome of the era. have you ever noticed that How Insensitive sounds very much like one of Chopin's more well known preludes? Opus 28, number 4 to be exact. Have played the afore mentioned prelude it struck me intensely. here it is to contrast against "Insensetez"
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000001GEC/sr=8-1/qid=1149566493/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-5887511-5492962?%5Fencoding=UTF8

10. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

That was worth it's weight in gold.

I've played on my Chickering that particular Chopin piece since I was 14. Initially it was at my mother's instigation since she is ga-ga for Chopin and is still prone to haul me out for her friends when I visit to show me off.:rolleyes:

I've gone back and forth from "How Insensitive" to Opus 28 #4 and there's no mistaking the basic melody is taken from it. How I've missed it all these years is baffling to me (if not a trifle maddening!)

It was like a light bulb went off in my head when I clicked on that link naughty! Thanks.

I love how the two oddly overlap .........

First recital piece I ever played (once I was playing in the "big leagues") was Nocturne in C minor (#29 here):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/samples/B00001ZSX7/ref=dp_tracks_all_1/102-8025279-4834504?%5Fencoding=UTF8#disc_1

To this day I can hear my mother yelling "bravo" since her dearest wish was that "you continue the tradition of the piano in the family".

Thanks for this lovely bridge to the two seemingly disparate worlds!:smile:

11. wellhungcamboy

wellhungcamboy New Member

12. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

wellhungcamboy,

Thanks. Seeing A.C. Jobim like that and watching him was terrific. I'd never seen that before.

I know Sinatra felt a strong draw during the 60s to Brazilian music and particularly the Bossa Nova but I think (never being a great fan of Sinatra per se) that his application of the "Rat Pack Feel" (for lack of a better term) and that whole "Dean Martin -Vegasy - Cigarette in hand - pseudo cool dude thing" corrupts the purity of the genre.

Indeed I think that inclusion easily helped spell its falling out of favor in the latter part of the 1960s.

The music, in that clip, only comes through purely when the focus is on Antonio Carlos Jobim. But for that alone the watching was well worth it.

Thanks again.

13. naughty

Gold Member

Well Hung,

That was fabulous... Stronzo, I like the lyrical quality of Brazillian Bossa Nova but there is a place for artists such as Frank Sinatra. I think he really respected the genre and his phrasing was impeccable. Not the same but an interestingly different take on the orginal. Though I prefer the sensual brazillian guitar to blatant American sexualityof Stan Getz' Sax.. the world weary voice of Sinatra adds the worldliness that helped to make Bossa Nova the classic it is now recognized as world wide. Once it came out of the mouth of "Old Blue Eyes" it was no longer just an exotic musical interlude it gave it the credibility in the eyes of many Americans who might not necessarily have enjoyed its long lasting appeal otherwise. Though we now think of elevator music you cant take anything away from Jobim's original compositions. I enjoy rediscovering the musical comfort food of my childhood.

14. wellhungcamboy

You're welcome! I get where you're coming from Stronzo, but I think Naughty put it very well. Don't get me wrong I definitely love Astraud, but I also love the way Sinatra sings these songs.

15. JustAsking

Gold Member

Oh man, what a great topic. Bossa-Nova, a kind of cool jazz samba for a very small room. The Gilbertos, Jobim, and Getz. I loved that stuff. I always felt that anyone who could play guitar like Jobim and sing that way would be a babe magnet. I never went the distance, though. But I did date a girl who could sing Ipanema to me in Portuguese.

16. naughty

Gold Member

It is really funny that you should say that about him being a chick magnet. Jobim himself said that he and his contemporaries were just a group of playboys who just loved to be on the beach. I am sure hearing "Ipanema" in Portuguese must have given you a rush. I can now sing "Dreamer" or "Vivo Sohando" .Now i have to find someone to test it on....

17. wellhungcamboy

I'll volunteer :wink:

18. naughty

Gold Member

Well,

we will have to figure out how that could happen...

19. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

While I respect yours and naughty's takes, I think Sinatra, Andy Williams, et al helped turn it into elevator music. It's a corruption to me. That rat-packy thing never had any appeal for me and if they'd left the Bossa Nova alone I'd willingly have had it languish in obscurity.

20. naughty

Gold Member

I fully understand your feelings sweet one but we cant be selfish! LOL! Well we can, but.... LOL!

Draft saved Draft deleted