Blast email warning

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
That would get rid of all the fun though (as well as my waiting patiently by the keyboard for the next wonderful PM by somebody I do not know and do not want to.) On a side note, does anybody know how long it has been since I have been PM'd one of those ridiculous notes? I am starting to feel left out. No, this is not an invitation for those of you who are regular recipients to forward them to me; that would be cheating.:tongue:
Just change your profile to say you are female. You'll get lots of them fast. :rolleyes:

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
When I used to use my previous account, I realized that very few trolls actually read anything. They don't read signatures, they don't read profiles. The ones who do read signatures and/or profiles ended up writing me to inform that if I wasn't here looking for a big penis to change my life and make it complete, I should leave. Usually they did this with poor grammar, and zero spelling or even communication skills.

When I changed my user name, and neutered my profile, It took me a few months to realize that trolls also don't read the boards- especially not Etc., etc., which is where I post primarily. I used to freak out every time someone indicated my gender (correctly) in a thread.

I'd hate to go back to the way things were under the old account. AlteredEgo hasn't received a single unwanted private message. The chat room is very different when people assume that you are male. Without lying, I was able to have the most incredible conversation about wet dreams. Sometimes, someone who has been sending me messages in the chatroom will become angry when they find out my gender. They become angrier when they are forced to admit that I never decieved them. Other than that, nothing unpleasaant has gone down. I highly recomend going neuter to anyone with troll trouble. The only drawback is people are more reluctant to talk to you because they think whatever baloney they have in their profile is telling you something about them (which USUALLY is NOT the case), and want the same baloney from you in return. I have found that to be an acceptable cost.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Altered ego makes a good point. Although the men are not immune from receiving st00pid PMs, women get them a lot more. When I changed my profile to "gay male" a while back, the PMs stopped.

Since some n00b was so distraught my my "deception", even though I have a face pic for my avatar and am well known here, I changed it back and the PMs started all over. Women have a very different experience here than men, and unlike Kotchanski, I don't mind being a bitch one bit.

Let's see how "no response" works.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
I think that these PM trolls should be fucking banned. Period.
I am in favor of tempoary bans for trolls. Sometimes they will chill out if they realize this is not only an adult board but one with some integrity. I would support a warning, then a three month ban, then three years and then permanent as in now and for ever more.

Also, the moderating team would have to make sure we are consistent. And damn it trolling is sometimes in a "grey area."

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes, trolling can be a grey area, that's why I opt for public humiliation. It makes me feel better, and warns others. That's good enough for me.

B_JQblonde

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Feddie , I am surprised that you wish to see people like Lex and DC deep banned for their constant trolling.

Trolling being defined as people who generally have nothing useful to say and try to stifle any other opinion other than those who worship at the almighty altar of the American Left wing church.

Wait, did I just say that?? I meant worship that big block of marble of the American left wing building with stained glass.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Feddie , I am surprised that you wish to see people like Lex and DC deep banned for their constant trolling.

Trolling being defined as people who generally have nothing useful to say and try to stifle any other opinion other than those who worship at the almighty altar of the American Left wing church.

Wait, did I just say that?? I meant worship that big block of marble of the American left wing building with stained glass.
If we start banning people because the moderators have found them guilty of being trolls, I'm quite sure you would be far ahead of Lex and DC Deep in the list of people accused of possible cases of trolling.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
If we start banning people because the moderators have found them guilty of being trolls, I'm quite sure you would be far ahead of Lex and DC Deep in the list of people accused of possible cases of trolling.

The fact that I am a former Moderator who helped craft the guidelines pretty much ensures that I know how to NOT break them.

But we wouldn't expect a n00b to know that, now would we?

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Don't offer excuses for him, Lex. There are none. He has been here a year, and should know. Everything he says just sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me. But in his case, the pot is black, and the kettle is brown. I now return you to your previous topic of discussion.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I seem to remember Heath saying it would be difficult to accomplish, but I don't know how difficult. Some sites I belong to have a minimum post count for using the PM feature, but I don't know anything about codes specific to vbulletin.

There does seem to be a way to do it in vB3. It relies on automatic promotion of members with a post count or a set time interval, after which they can use the PM system, post avatars, download attachments, etc. Apparently promotion moves the member into another group, and different groups can be assigned different privileges.

This is from looking at the posted vB documentation. It sounds a bit of a kluge to me, but maybe not. I don't use vB myself so can't really check.

pavement

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It would sure be spectacular if a person had to have at least 25 posts in order to use the PM function. It would eliminate the vast majority of this mess, and force new members to participate before they just harass.
Maybe the surest way to avoid harassment lies within

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There does seem to be a way to do it in vB3. It relies on automatic promotion of members with a post count or a set time interval, after which they can use the PM system, post avatars, download attachments, etc. Apparently promotion moves the member into another group, and different groups can be assigned different privileges.

This is from looking at the posted vB documentation. It sounds a bit of a kluge to me, but maybe not. I don't use vB myself so can't really check.

Oh, you're right. On the other forum, I moved from "new member" to something else before I could PM. I also wasn't able to post until I had been a member for two weeks! While it bummed me out that I couldn't respond to the post I originally joined to respond to, I did go back. I also got the point loud and clear that they expected me to read before posting, or the members would eat me alive.

While I like our permissive attitude here, it is assumed that people won't join for the sole purpose of disruption. This is sometimes an incorrect assumption. Trolling is far more loosely defined here than a lot of other sites.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Don't offer excuses for him, Lex. There are none. He has been here a year, and should know. Everything he says just sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me. But in his case, the pot is black, and the kettle is brown. I now return you to your previous topic of discussion.

I think I'll fuck him up the ass with Zora's dick to change his gender and his attitude. I mean, if fundies think they can make me straight, I should be able to fuck some sense into him, right?

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
<...>
When I changed my user name, and neutered my profile, It took me a few months to realize that trolls also don't read the boards- especially not Etc., etc., which is where I post primarily. I used to freak out every time someone indicated my gender (correctly) in a thread.
<...>
Ah, my spicy brown profile-androgynous delight, have I told you lately that I love you?

Hehehe, even though it's been "outed" several times in several threads, I have still not once referred to your "new identity" by any gender-specific comments... and I still will not.

Nonetheless, I still love to call you "spicy" (you know why!) and I still think you are just incredible.

*bear-huggles!*