bleeding during sex

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by badgirl22, Aug 3, 2009.

1. badgirl22

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Sometimes during sex I bleed. This is not from menstruation, this is bright red like I've been cut open type bleeding. It's not a little blood when it happens, it's a lot. I've been working with my Dr. since last Fall trying to figure out where it's coming from and why it happens. He is completely baffled and I'm completely bummed. There is no way to predict when it's going to happen. As soon as the sex is over, the bleeding stops. It's almost like blood vessles close to the surface burst open but I don't understand why it wouldn't happen every time if that were the case. It happens every couple of months or so. I'd love to hear if anyone else has experienced this or if anyone has any idea what could cause it. I will tell you it's not coming from my cervix. My Dr. cannot make my cervix bleed.
    Dr. keeps telling me I need to get right in there when it happens so they can see where it's coming from. Actually tried it once when I had a morning appointment but we just couldn't make it happen - figures.

2. Fleur

Gold Member

Is your doctor an ob/gyn? If not...I'd say you need to go to one who is more speicalized in women's medicine...if he is...time to find another doctor and get a second opinion. I would not mess around with something like that. You need to be as proactive as you can.

3. D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah Account Disabled

My first thought would be vaginal tearing but it sounds more serious then that, which is why i agree with Fleur that a second opinion would be a good idea.

4. Ed69

Gold Member

I hesitate too add a comment,but maybe this is it.

Hemorrhoid.net - Rectocele

I would ask about it with your current doc.Then get a second opinion from an ob/gyn.Good luck and let us know if you get an answer.

5. dolfette

Gold Member

it could still be from your cervix.
    if i went to my doc with bleeding she couldn't explain, and she didn't refer me on to a gyn, i'd never have faith in her abilities again.

6. RawDog

Gold Member

Albums:
    This just happened to my wife and I last week. At first we thought it was a papercut I got from the night before that re-opened (long story). After we felt sure that wasn't the source of the blood, I checked to maker sure I didn't tear her fourchette again. Due to my girth, that happens once in a while if we get a little exhuberant and lack the lubricity to compensate. Nope, no tearing. (She's had a total hysterectomy so we ruled out the obvious culprit).

She then goes to the bathroom to pee and experiences pain. When she wiped, there was blood on the toilet paper. Come to discover it's another UTI flaring up.

Not sure if any of that sounds familiar to your situation, but I thought I'd add in our experience.

7. TheRob

Gold Member

Albums:
    pretty soon a dozen women and some guys who want to impress the ladies will be in here telling you this never happend and you should stop missleading people

maybe you will luck out and the Crusade will miss this thread, basically tho I hope things get better and I agree with the fact that you should be refered to an OBGYN if your current Doctor has no ideas.

Something that you either didn't say or I missed, is there pain involved?

8. badgirl22

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I read this but I have none of the symptoms of this. There is zero pain with sex (even when I'm bleeding) and no pain or problems going to the bathroom. Interesting theory though. I've been basically looked at under a microscope and I'd have thought that was something they'd have noticed. I will certainly mention it though

9. badgirl22

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I'm being seen by gyn. He's done ultrasounds, looked at me with a microscope type thing in the *procedure* room and stopped short of doing a biopsy only because my cervix looks so good and I've not had any problems with pap results. My theory is that I have basically like spider veins near the surface of the vagina and sometimes, if they are particularly full (I have constant arousal problems at times which fills all the blood vessles to full capacity) one breaks and causes the bleeding. Apparently lots of blood can come from a very small veins.

Just a theory though, unless they can catch it happening they cant confirm it.

10. badgirl22

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Am with an OBGYN and no, zero pain.

Along the UTI theory, how much blood could a UTI possibly account for and why would it be vaginal. I'm talking a TON of blood. we are both covered up to our belly buttons and our thighs too. Have leaked through a bath towel before. A LOT of blood. Scary amount at times.

And, as soon as the sex is done, the bleeding stops.

11. TheRob

Gold Member

Albums:
    wtf, that much blood loss you should be light headed after losing it

12. MickeyLee

Gold Member

questions the clinic intake might ask you.

what form of birth control do you use? if you're using BC that suppresses your menstrual cycle strong uterine contractions from orgasm can cause break through bleeding. the blood can be bright red and very heavy. if the bleeding stops within half an hour after sex this might be your problem.

when was your last STI screening? i mean for everything, from gonorrhea to trichomoiasis. not everything will show up on a pap smear, any time you experience bleeding heavier than spotting it's a good idea to get a full panel workup.

sometimes hormonal shifts can cause a softening of the cervix, thrusting and orgasm cause contractions so any blood in the uterus will be pushed out.

ya had an ultra sound but there might still be an issue of smaller uterine polyps. could also be endometriosis.

maybe ask your doctor about dysfunctional uterine bleeding?

have you had your hormone levels checked?

13. badgirl22

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    ==================
    No but it's a great idea and am going to do this. Is this the OBGYN or endocrinologist?

Thank you for all your helpful ideas. I really appreciate it.

14. MickeyLee

Gold Member

ya obgyn can order the base line blood work. if anything comes up a little off he/she will send you to an endocrinologist.

a hormone imbalance might contribute to thinning of vaginal tissue, so there is a really good chance of the varicose vein or a few small blood vessels being very close to the surface. the amount of blood even a small tear in a varicose vein would ever so gory. i think vaginal or vulva varicose veins are pretty common during or after child birth *since ya have kids*

i know a few women who have had to repeat an ablation... a relative of mine tried the balloon ablation three times and for some reason the procedure never took for her. women can still have bleeding from small fibroids (lots of medical gargon about layers and tissue depth my brain refuses to offer up at 7am) and *i can't remember the name of the condition* it's like a soft spot in the uterus.... it can seep blood into the uterus.

i'll hit the smart doctor types up at the clinic to see what else i can find out. *blushes a bit* i'm a lowly outreach volunteer so most of anything in my head is from talking to the patients about their troubles or playing go between with the doctors. the more information ya have the better, right? *no shine on your doc at all, he seems to be treating you really well*

anyway. good luck and heal quick. get back into the sheets and have a good time.

15. badgirl22

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    First, thank you for your well thought out replies. I really appreciate it. I'd love to figure this out. My Dr. did mention re-doing the ablation but I want a more concrete answer before doing that. I'd have thought i'd be getting a period if the ablation needed to be redone but hey, what do I know? LOL!

And, this hasn't stopped my time between the sheets at all. Partner doesn't seem phased at all as long as he's not hurting me. There's always the shower after :smile:

16. size_is_relative

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    This used to happen to my ex girlfriend a lot. In the end she had some kind of...I don't know, cyst or something on her cervix. It turned out not to be that big of a deal, but the doc used a laser to to cauterize it. We tested it out afterwards (we'd already broken up at the time) and no more bleeding.

17. Kayden96

Kayden96 New Member

Can't your OB/GYN use a glass dildo or something?

18. B_MatureHungDad

B_MatureHungDad New Member

ya my wife still bleeds after we have sex for a long time

19. MsThang

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    South Florida (recently relocated from NYC)
    Verified:
    Photo
    I recently experienced bleeding after sex when I wipe there is blood on the tissue paper. Right away I went to my doctor and they took all the tests and I am totally clean. I went yesterday to get an ultrasound and the technician said it looks like I have small fibroids. I know fibroids aren't really a big deal just worried if this bleeding is going to be an ongoing issue. I have an appointment to see my doctor in two weeks.

20. sodominsane

sodominsane Member

ok last time i told someone i was an MD on here i took quite a bit of flack for my speeling....you folk can kiss my ass....

anyways i had a patient once who discribed a similar thing...and full work up we couldnt find nothing......however after further seaching turns out she had a angioma on the side of here vagina wall....it was hard to find since most of the time you use a metal speculum to vissualize the cervix it covers up part of the wall.......

sent her to obgyn...since im only family practice dr....but if i remeber correctly a breif zap with the cautery knife was all it took

Draft saved Draft deleted