Bloke friendship

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by Dick&Nuts, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Dick&Nuts

Dick&Nuts New Member

Just curious when a bloke who's friends with another bloke says 'I hate you man' (and it's definitely not meant nastily) now and again does that mean the opposite in blokey mate terms ie. I really like you man (but that would be too soppy to say). What do you think?

2. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I hate you, man!

3. Dick&Nuts

Dick&Nuts New Member

Err... still none the wiser!

4. Pene_Negro_Grande

Gold Member

Totally confused on this post...Can you or someone explain as what you mean...Sorry...

5. blackwood

blackwood New Member

-----------------------

Dick&Nuts,

I think the "hate" is about as sincere as "I could just kill ya". "I love ya" now I really have no offering.

Hope the opposite is the case. He He

blackwood

6. hippyscum

hippyscum New Member

when i've heard "i hate ye" it's usually said to people that are disliked. i've found that guys are simple and tend to say that they love ye when they want to.

PS i'm assuming you mean when drunk? tha's the only time either of those have come up with me

7. dolf250

dolf250 New Member

I’ve never heard the expression before. Being as you are using the term “bloke” I wonder if it might be unique to your region or country.

8. tightfit

tightfit New Member

Yes it does.

9. Dick&Nuts

Dick&Nuts New Member

Sorry, must be a British thing then as tightfit seems to know :)

10. Dude!

Dude! New Member

Depends on how it's said, it could mean 'I'm having a lovely time my good pal, I'm just too embarrassed to admit how well we're getting on'

it's usually followed by more beer

11. jay_too

jay_too New Member

Huh? I still use this with friends. This was more common in the late 1990's among the guys in my high school. It acknowledged their achievement or one upmanship. To us, it was a sign of friendship and respect.

jay

12. dufus

dufus New Member

My native tongue is red-neck southron English. But I know that in the king's English, bloke means "a fellow, a man." If a bloke who is a friend of mine said, "I hate you man," I would interpret it as a compliment. The bloke is jealous for some reason that was not disclosed in the original post.

13. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

When my friends say, "I hate you," it's usually in a particular context. I have a lot of dirt on my friends. Don't get me wrong: I don't go looking for blackmail material. A lot of my straight male friends hang out with me, and for some reason, they feel like pouring out their hearts to me after a few beers. They sometimes reveal secrets that I never really needed to know. I have been known to let a few of those secrets slip when we're among friends, and a lot of times I really didn't realise that I'm the only one in the group who was privy to such information.

Tom: "Well, you guys can do what you want, but I've never paid for sex."
    Me: "Wait, dude: what about that Asian dancer in Houston?"
    Others: "You actually paid her for sex?"
    Tom (to me): "Dude, I so hate you."

14. dufus

dufus New Member

I have the same problem, but it is with 2 women at my workplace, which happens to be an academic unit in a college. I think 2 cats would get along better than these women. Both of them come to me and "spill the beans" about the other. Sometimes I can't keep it straight what each one has told me about the other one. Most of the things they tell me is stuff that I never really needed to know.

I am in a bad mood today. A bridge that my dentist cemented in my mouth 2 weeks ago fell out when I was brushing my teeth last night. Damn thing! :(

15. jonb

Gold Member

I think it's basically any time you rain on his parade like that. Or jealousy:

David: I just got a new MP3 player.
    Me: You got a new MP3 player? Dude, I so hate you right now.

16. bignfloppy

bignfloppy Member

Like jonb, whenever I say "I HATE you!" to a friend it's because he acquired or achieved something that I was unable to. For example, "I just bought such-and-such on EBay for less than half the retail price!"
    "Oh, my God, I HATE you!"

17. Dick&Nuts

Dick&Nuts New Member

Just to add to my original post - I was out on the town a few days back with my friend (the other bloke) and at the end of the night when we were both pretty drunk he said to me "I f**ing hate you man, I really, really hate you". Normally I reply with 'I hate you too' but I said 'Oh right' and there was a pause until he said 'Do you hate me?' 'Yeah' I said 'Big time' and then he put his arm around me (in a blokey way not sexual I would add). So - guess this 'hate' is a good thing!

Draft saved Draft deleted