Blood donation

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by swalke52, Jun 16, 2010.

1. swalke52

swalke52 New Member

Hi All,

I have recently started a petition to allow Gay men and Woman in the UK to give blood, this can be signed by anyone and if we get 500 signatures it can be put to the Prime Minister.

I am not currently sure of the Laws in the rest of the world but hopefully with your support we can get this changed. Please pass the link to anyone we have a long way to go with this.

The link is http://www.gopetition.com/online/37118.html

There is also a group on facebook at Welcome to Facebook

Please show your support

Cheers Stuart
    xxx

2. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

The US is considering the same thing.

As many are probably aware, there is a ban that disallows blood donations from any US male who has has sex with another male (even once) since 1977. You may also be aware that this questionairre given to people donating is a self-report, so the Red Cross relies heavily on people being truthful.

The Red Cross was fined millions for failing to check the donations they received.

With the number of men having sex with men and NOT disclosing it, the statement should read, "if you are a male or female who has had unprotected sex with a male since 1977, you can not give blood."

If you have ever read an older article called "What Ever Happened to Straight Men and AIDS," you can see how the CDC has now determined that all men who said they got HIV from anything other than intravenous drug use or sex with men were lying.

It's a shame that a system supposedly designed to help others has forced people to lie, reinforced people's sense of anger and alienation, and not adequately updated its practices in order to produce the maximum number of donations with the least amount of risk.

Good luck with your petition, but I would not give blood currently unless I was donating to specifically help someone I knew. I also won't lie to give blood. Decades of being told my blood is not good enough even though it is clean and Type O is enough for me to say, nah--I'll keep it to myself.

3. swalke52

swalke52 New Member

I appreciate your feedback there, however there are millions of people in the world who have clean blood who are Gay that want to give blood but are stopped by silly laws. I myself have lost a close family member due to a lack of blood in the UK.

I want to give blood, i wanted to save a life however i was stopped.

For that reason this petition has been set up for similar people.

Cheers
    S
    X

4. luka82

Gold Member

How strange....
    In Serbia they do not ask about your orientation, they only ask if you had unprotected sex recently....
    I can`t believe this...

5. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    Great, I've never even heard of this. They test the blood anyway, isn't this the stupidest law ever?

6. thetramp

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    What a bullshit law, time to stand up against it

7. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's yet another example of the institutionalized homophobia entrenched in our society. Despite decades of progress, on many levels we remain second-class citizens for whom standard rules simply don't apply.

8. thetramp

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I will find out tomorrow how the law is here in germany, since i have never heard of something like that i guess there is nothing like that in place, at least they didn't ask me

9. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

I wasn't disagreeing with you about the fact that there are gay men who have clean blood (I am one) who want to donate (I used to do so). I understand wanting to save lives. I gave blood throughout high school, college and right after 9-11 (this was all before I had sex with men). For me, the years of ebing dismissed and slapped in the face while straight folk with equally risky behaviors were allowed to donate has hardened me to the idea of donating.

I wish you luck with your petition.

Not always. See the link I posted earlier.

Exactly.

10. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

Our LGBT society at uni are doing some stuff around that next term. Its truely wrong and disgusting that it still exist as a law. But Theres more.

As is was explained to me, i can no longer give blood because my partner has had sex with a bi man who has had sex with guys. How they are meant to enforce it that far for everyone i dont know, but its mad.

Draft saved Draft deleted