Blood Libel, Figgy or Blood Pudding?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by midlifebear, Jan 14, 2011.

1. midlifebear

Gold Member

Well, it sure ain't "a bit of spotted pig."

Something that I find incredible is how it appears the majority of those on the left and the right, those who sympathize with Giffords' tragedy and those killed in the Tucson shooting and those, especially Republicans, who are playing as if it's just water on a duck's back do not really understand the meaning of Blood Libel and its connotation in political speech. Some posters obviously recognized the term, but I'm reasonably certain that most have no idea of where the expression comes from and how serious, like a heart attack, it is; especially in lieu of Congresswoman Giffords' religion.

The following little item appearing in the New York Times gives a good short overview of this particular racist term and how it originated.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/13/us/13bloodlibel.html?ref=politics

Anyone simply "glossing" over the fact the Sarah Palin used the term to deflect responsibility for inspiring lunatic assassins needs to "rethink" what message or messages she was really sending out to her supporters. Anyone excusing the Palin crone as being sincere and patriotic in her speech broadcast needs to do some serious soul searching. :mad:

#1 midlifebear, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  2. NCbear

Gold Member

I remain aghast that she used such a loaded term to describe protests against her irresponsible incitements to violence.

Her use of the term is all out of proportion to what has been done to her; ironically, the term is more applicable--IMHO--to what she tries to do to others: smear them with reprehensible, ideologically polarizing charges that are so crazy (both in topic and strength) that they're difficult to refute.

Hers was an over-the-top response to a reasoned objection to her propaganda methods. Characteristic of her style, I'm afraid--but as I learn more about her style, I become more afraid for my country.

NCbear (who wonders when the "Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last?" moment will come for Sarah Palin :rolleyes: -- Google Senator McCarthy for the reference . . . )

3. Speculator

Speculator New Member

Get over yourself.

4. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

Ah Midlife should consider himself told :rolleyes:

I've expressed my feelings in other threads about how appalling Palin's use of the term Blood Libel is in this context. That she feels comfortable appropriating that term to her uses is despicable and offensive in the extreme, the woman is utterly risible and repellent. No credible, functioning democracy could elect her to any office.

5. Jason

Gold Member

Having said such a terrible thing she has the option of apolgising. Maybe it was a slip of the tongue for "bloody libel"? But she hasn't apologised so we seem left with the view that she meant "blood libel" and she truly believes that the criticism that has been levelled against her has been comparable to anti-semitism.

"Blood libel" is the charge at the root of anti-semitism - the idea that some Jews in allowing the crucifiction of Jesus Christ in place of a criminal had killed God and that this crime - deicide- was to be laid on all Jews in perpetuity. It is an obnoxious notion, one that has promoted centuries of persecution of a people.

If any UK poitician had said such a thing I believe they would be forced to resign - by the extent of public outcry, by their own party, perhaps because of their own conscience.

6. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Some people, especially some of the politicians in our country, have absolutely no clue as to how offensive the things they say can be to other people. More worried about someone impeding on their first amendment rights than to actually pay attention to the references they want to draw or the imagery their statements conjure up. And they cluelessly wonder why the responses they receive can be just as disparaging?

7. Jason

Gold Member

Democracies can go bad. It is hard to escape the view that the electoral success of Palin and her possible future as US president indicates a major problem in the operation of USA democracy.

8. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think it was a foolish thing to say - like someone at school who's in the doghouse and comes out with all guns blazing instead of trying to put it right.

I don't personally hold her responsible for the Tucson shooting - but her particular brand of right-wing extremism is the thin end of the wedge...

I don't think she's capable of holding top office there...if this is how she behaves in a domestic crisis, what kinda petty tantrums is she gonna throw on the international stage?

9. D_Ewan Prettidik

D_Ewan Prettidik New Member

She couldn't even rise above politics for the sake of the tragedy. You could see the contrast between Obama's speech and hers. She dressed up for the video, she had her american flag in the background, burnished cinematography, and midway through she reverted to victimhood and how the liberal media was unfairly maligning her along with conservative talk radio, then blood libel. She turned this painful national moment into a MSM smear-vendetta against her. All she had to do was rise above this pettiness. Become bigger than the news-cycle politics. Show just a little strength and leadership. And she busted. Payback was more important.

10. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yup.

11. houtx48

Gold Member

I don't believe Sarah believes herself electable but to make the max money she need to keep her name before the public. Any press is good press as long as they spell your name right.

12. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    One of her "advisers" (see, also "handlers", "publicists", et. al.) read an article in a newspaper earlier in the day. The article attempted to divert responsibility from those who had invoked gun violence as a viable, even advisable response to the election to office of candidates who were "liberal", et. al. The article invoked (outrageously inappropriately) the notion of "blood libel" as related to holding the responsible parties in fact responsible.

Aforementioned "handler, et. al" convinces (i.e. tells) Palin to include "blood libel" in her "speech" [after all, it sounds so juicy and violent and rather akin to those weird rites invoked in that ridiculous religous ceremony Palin participated in once upon a time....). Palin includes "blood libel" in her "speech". The entire non-crazy, non-tea-bagging world is disgusted.

Nail. In. Coffin. Of. Political. Career.

Thank Gods.

13. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

She said it because she knew it would be interpreted as code for ,"I've got your back" by the racists who adore her. These are the same mentally unfit bigots who believe to their core that "whites are the victims of racism".

14. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Well, despite all of the negative discourse she's received after that hideously self-absorbed "speech", Palin has recently been chosen to speak at a gun rally in Nevada which just happens to be a swing state. Whether she's canvassing for herself or for who would eventually be the GOP candidate, one can't deny that she's been in some kind of campaign mode since 2008.

I mean, at this point it doesn't really matter who the GOP puts up. After the last 2+ years of deliberate obstructionism and gang-level gutter speak about guns, beyond the rabid Conservatives who blindly vote the (R) anyhow who would really consider their nominee to be any different?

15. Speculator

Speculator New Member

So everyone in Alaska that voted for Palin were racists and mentally unstable bigots?!

What a wonderfully balanced view.

16. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    She is no longer "playing" to Alaska, she has bigger fish to fry. By using that phrase, she casts herself as a "jewish" victim oppressed by the anti-semites. "I, Sarah Palin, am a victim." She KNEW what she was saying, which is unfortunate.

17. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

as usual, much ado about nothing

18. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

^From your narrow perspective.

19. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Concur... 99% of non-Jewish libertards never knew what it meant...yet were spoon fed by the lamestream media.

Much ado nothing indeed.

FUCKING LIBERTARD FASCINATION w/ PALIN. I think a lot of non 100/0 straighties have a crush on Palin... it has to be the only explanation.... as I think I didn't see any outrage when

Just as it was when a Democrat accused the GOP of blood libel on Al Gore.

Or when their MSNBLGSTFYI whatever network used "blood libel" on Kerry & the Swift Boaters.

For the life of me, I can't recall much/any uproar from the left.

The hard on for Sarah Palin from the LPSG left leads me to believe many of you are lying about your true sexuality, as your crush for her is vehement.

Fess up gents...

BLOOD LIBEL
    BLOOD LIBEL
    BLOOD LIBEL
    BLOOD LIBEL
    BLOOD LIBEL
    BLOOD LIBEL
    BLOOD LIBEL
    BLOOD LIBEL
    BLOOD LIBEL
    BLOOD LIBEL
    BLOOD LIBEL

Whatever... you guys are looking stupid on this. Go back to Bush attacks, you looked remotely more credible then.

#19 faceking, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  20. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Gee... you'd think we spat on FaceQueen's girlfriend or something. LOL!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted