Blood Money Justice

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MarkLondon, Jun 5, 2011.

1. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
  2. midlifebear

Gold Member

That's a sad bit of justice. He should have been forced to provide restitution AND serve 35 to life in prison. But hey, that's Florida where money buys the most government it can, including judges.

3. bigbull29

Gold Member

Albums:
    Money is everything...

4. 1kmb1

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    donte stallworth

its fucking disgusting.

5. Who_Dun_It

Who_Dun_It New Member

I saw that the other morning on my way to work, it had been in a local paper because his family is from the Chicago area, and the whole blood money thing is exactly what came to my mind as well.Don't know if it's just me or what, but seems like he should spend a good long time in a real jail if not on death row for what he did.

6. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    He's buying a stairway to heaven. It's a very ancient practice, happens all over, but there is more of it near the surface in FL.

7. MickeyLee

Gold Member

kness. unpopular opinion here.

the families of the two men are being taken care of financially, something the american legal system would never provide for. the widows have closure and security..... seems like more than most families get, even with longer sentences.

i don't really see what spending 10 years in protective custody is going to accomplish. other than having the state (tax payers) foot the bill for multiple appeals and the cost of his imprisonment.

the outcome is flawed. the sentencing favors the wealthy.
    same as the legal system has always been.

8. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    The victims were early middle-age successful businessmen. Surely they had life insurance?

From the article: "Lawyers for the two women, who reasoned that if LeVin was sent to jail they would not receive a settlement in the wrongful death lawsuit they had filed against him...." Why should that be? Can't you sue someone in prison in the States?

Yet the US tax payers fund the cost of imprisoning the absurdly high 3.1% of the resident population. (Which, btw, I was shocked to discover just now (File:US incarceration timeline-clean.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) is a historically recent phenomenon the beginning of which co-incided with the election of Ronald Reagan.)

9. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Something wrong here, ML.
    Your source suggests 2.5 million in 2006, which is obviously less that one percent.
    Another Wikipedia article, United States Incarceration Rate [ click me ], suggests that 743 Americans per 100,000 residents were behind bars. That’s 0.74 percent.

10. MickeyLee

Gold Member

most middle-age businessmen in america are in hock up to their eyeballs. the economy has stripped away retirement savings and portfolio a many of working man/women. heaps of folks get a term life insurance police from their employers. the amounts vary and so do the pay offs.

unsure about the whole wrongful death suit. i know a friend of mine got killed in a car accident. his family agreed to reduced charge and a settlement on the wrongful death case. :shrug:

i'd give ya points if i wasn't already completely opposed to how the legal system is run, with a biased toward money and race, and how the penal system has been privatized for revenue and skewing state voting power in favor of conservative counties.

prisons are usually built in small counties, the prison population is counted int the counties population.. increasing money from the state and federal level to those counties.

kay.. i am rant braiding.

my point is the families are satisfied with the judgement. to me, is the most important thing.

eta: i think it's something like 10 million people are run through the prison system annually. and something 200,000 more people per year are added?

the longer sentencing for victimless crimes mean the rate of people being processed out isn't in line with the people coming into the system. i think like 6% of the american population will be in the prison system at some point in their lives.

article of interest.... maybe

#10 MickeyLee, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  11. Pitbull

Gold Member

Time to boycott Jewels by Park Lane.

If I ever buy any jewelry it will never be from there

12. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    My mistake. I took the figure from that page, but upon checking it see that it includes people on probation which inflates it enormously.

13. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    I looked at the website. I don't think there's anything there to suit you, lol. Unless you've got giant turquoise eyes. :wink:

#13 MarkLondon, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  14. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes, that is an interesting article, ML. Do you think he'll get anywhere with his Commission?

15. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:

Ah, I expect they've all been told that there's no guarantee they'll win the suit, especially if the opponent is rich and can afford to out-lawyer them. Plus they get the money immediately instead of after who-knows-how-many years of litigation.

Cheques for undisclosed amounts were handed over to the British wives straight away.

16. B_crackoff

B_crackoff New Member

I'm wondering if a penniless blonde would be forced to work as a Hoe for the deceased's family?

It ain't a lot different.

Surely this shit's insurance would cover the deaths?

Perhaps this is less an indictment of blood money - &

MORE AN INDICTMENT OF LAWYERS holding out cash from, & pressurizing victim's families, in order to get a non custodial sentence for their clients?

Wherever this has happened, I do believe that juries - independent of a judge, can order genital bashing of frustrating, to the cause of justice, legal representation, wherever they see fit!

That should stop some of these heinous legal practices.

Draft saved Draft deleted