Blood presure and anti-depressants

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by Anyjoe, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Anyjoe

Anyjoe Active Member

Albums:
    I learned something new at the doctor yesterday.
    Although I was told that the anti depressant, Welbutrin,
    was a medication that would NOT effect erections or libido,
    I learned that after many years, 10, that it in fact does
    kill that bone dead. Also blood pressure meds that are
    "blockers" also are no friend of Mr. erection after being
    on them for many years. Combined your can be sure to sport
    NO WOOD! Just FYI>:smile:

2. ericbear

Gold Member

Albums:
    Funny you should mention this today, as I landed in the hospital over the same meds last week.

My experiences with Wellbutrin (Bupropion, the same ingredients as Zyban, used to quit smoking, etc.) is that it did not have any bad sexual effect, and in fact made my orgasms feel even a bit better. However, everyone is different, as I discovered in another area.

Alpha blockers are a class of drugs used for high blood pressure, although in my case they were prescribed for mild swelling of the prostate. Unlike other antidepressants, Wellbutrin is advertised as being compatible with alpha blockers (although not some other BP meds, such as beta blockers). Nevertheless, when my prostate acted up again after a while of good behavior, and I took my alpha blocker at the same time as I was on Wellbutrin, I blacked out, and ended up calling 911 when I came to, weak and shaky. Under other circumstances, I would rather have enjoyed having half the local fire department in my bedroom while I was partly naked. It was still a bit of a thrill, particularly when one of them suddenly needed to frisk my legs when I stood up (I'm not sure what he was looking for...). Everything turned out well, but I know not to mix the meds again,despite the label and several doctors saying it is safe to do so. Ironically, I had been perscribed the Wellbutrin because I was feeling blue over my prostate trouble. Now I've swon both meds off.

So, in my case, Wellbutrin performed for me as advertised in the sexaul department, giving mild enhancement, rather than a dead dick as other such meds sometimes give. But, in terms of interaction with my alpha blocker, I had a very serious reaction that supposedly does not happen. So, everybody's different.

Draft saved Draft deleted