Bloody Fireworks.

arthurdent

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
When I was a growing up in Bristol in the 1970s with my two sisters, every year just before 5th November there were TV documentaries about the horrible deaths, disfigurements and maimings caused by rogue fireworks which our dad would make us watch and use as justification for not buying any fireworks to let off in our back garden. So mum and dad would take us all to the Bristol Evening Post organised fireworks display at the old Bristol Rovers football ground (now a Tesco, I think).

In the 1960s, before all that scaremongering, when we did have our own fireworks, I can remember my elder sister being chased around the garden by a Jumping Jack firecracker!

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was cornered by a jumping jack when I was a kid, it was coming at me and I had nowhere to go, I don't know how old I was, there was a small croft at the back of the house with all the parents and kids and I'd just wandered off, trust me to get into mischief, I think my dislike of fireworks started then. Luckily it ran out of steam before it got to me.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It was superseded by trick or treating on Halloween.American cultural imperialism strikes again. :rolleyes:

He was a Yorkshireman so I'm sure he had a good reason. :smile:

You're kidding?! I used to love Guy Fawkes day -- last year I even celebrated it here in America. We burned a Guy but had no fireworks.

So I should just skip it this year?!

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Right - you bastards!! :wink:

Wow. Sorry to hear that. Whatever happened to penny for the guy?!

Oh yes - let's burn effigies celebrating religious intolerance - that is just what the UK really needs at the moment! :rolleyes:

It was superseded by trick or treating on Halloween.American cultural imperialism strikes again. :rolleyes:

For once I say Huzzah! for American Imperialism.

He was a Yorkshireman so I'm sure he had a good reason. :smile:

Ee, 'appen!

Guy was framed... but lets not get into that. :wink:

Oh LET'S!!

I'd always thought merely being a Yorkshireman was reason enough.:smile:

Ee, 'appen...

Innocent or guilty he ended up fawked. But, as you say....

It's not so much that he was framed or innocent or guilty but the fact that 400 years after his death, so rabid is the Bristish establishment against Catholicism, that burning his effigy is not only consider inoffensive but a fun activity to be encouraged, especially for the kiddies.

I was going to ask what was bonfire nite but I googled it instead. For the other lost yanks here. Guy Fawkes Night - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think there are better sources on both Fawkes and the Gunpowder plot that this account written by people who studied the subject in History in UK school - not exactly unbiased.

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: The Gunpowder Plot - you all may consider this biased as well, of course. I have read both and find this one more reasonable.

The Gunpowder Plot Society - this site goes into more detail on the ambuiguity surrounding the plot and its perpetrators.

Most of what comes up in the first few pages of Google is of the 'British government officially sancationed they were evil traitors' variety, and while pages like that do present the basic fact they do so under a cloud of prejudice.

Were you educated at Stonyhurst College?:confused:

He was a traitor.

He was a freedom fighter in my book, unfortunately history is written by the victors and the losers just write the poetry. You should read the poetry too sometimes though.

:tragedy:

Bet you're really bored now, aintcha!

You're kidding?! I used to love Guy Fawkes day -- last year I even celebrated it here in America. We burned a Guy but had no fireworks.

So I should just skip it this year?!

You don't strike me as the type to celebrate religious intolerance and bloody murder so, um, Yes!

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh come on Manly, that's reaching a bit isn't it, no one's celebrating religious intolerance when they burn a guy, they're just following tradition and as with most traditions no one really gives a thought to what's behind it, are Catholics celebrating Jesus's death when they wear a cross?

Dong they still do cinder toffee in lots of shops, you can even get it on ebay 170159505965

koval

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Stop being a boring old git! Fireworks are fun for us youngsters! :biggrin1:

I'm sure the youngsters over here also thought were fun, until it blew off part of one of their hands last week when they were messing with it. Fireworks are basically explosives and as such should be treated like such rather than as a toy.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Oh come on Manly, that's reaching a bit isn't it, no one's celebrating religious intolerance when they burn a guy, they're just following tradition and as with most traditions no one really gives a thought to what's behind it, are Catholics celebrating Jesus's death when they wear a cross?

Yes! Of course they are - what the hell else would it be about? :confused:

got_lost

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I live in such a small village we hadn't had many fireworks yet this year.

Then some stupid bloody plonker let off a whole load of them at 12.30am this morning....!!!

Way to wake up the neighbourhood you stupid twats!!

OK.. there's my rant for the day...must now go lock up kitty incase some morons let them off again tonight.....

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
...are Catholics celebrating Jesus's death when they wear a cross?

Um... Yes. :confused: His death (along with his ressurrection and ascention) are also celebrated during communion.

From Catholic and Anglican service:

"We celebrate the memorial of our redemption, O Father, in
this sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving. Recalling his death,
resurrection, and ascension, we offer you these gifts.

Sanctify them by your Holy Spirit to be for your people the
Body and Blood of your Son, the holy food and drink of new
and unending life in him. Sanctify us also that we may faithfully
receive this holy Sacrament, and serve you in unity, constancy,
and peace; and at the last day bring us with all your saints
into the joy of your eternal kingdom."