Blow Jobs: How Safe?

D_Harry_Crax

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Obviously biggest STD risks are unprotected anal and vaginal sex. How safe are blow jobs - for both the giver and receiver? The idea of giving a blow job with a condom kind of takes the fun out of it....what do y'all think?

If you listen to the U.S. government, you can get HIV as well as other things from oral sex. If you listen to various European governments, the odds of getting HIV from oral sex are extremely close to 0. I'll listen to the Europeans, not because I like the answer better (although I do), but because I trust their government statements on science to be less politicized than ours are (not only during the George W. Bush administration, but especially during his). Also, as I have said for 20 years: if you could get HIV from oral sex, every gay man in America would be dead by now (well, not literally anymore, but once upon a time).

D_Drew Peacock

Experimental Member
Media
This is a great question. I would like to hear someone with some scientific authority answer this one, especially with refrence to swallowing ejaculate. And also for cunnilingus, especially if she squirts.

andrexx

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
There really isn't a way to find this out scientifically. Most people who have things like HIV/AIDS have had multiple types of sex (oral, anal, and/or vaginal) so you couldn't pinpoint it exactly. But I'm sure that the chances of in-mouth STD transfer is quite a bit slimmer than vaginal and especially anal.

fournineteenfiftynine

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
This is a great question. I would like to hear someone with some scientific authority answer this one, especially with refrence to swallowing ejaculate. And also for cunnilingus, especially if she squirts.

I agree. Do you remember the scene from the Leslie Neilson movie where they wore life size condoms in The Naked Gun? Again, it seems like it would take ALL the fun out of having a cock in your mouth if you had to have some plastic inbetween. But if that is what I had to do to be safe, then I guess I would do it.

TroMag

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I wouldn't worry about HIV from oral. I'd worry about gonorrhea, HPV and especially herpes. Totally agree that using a condom for oral takes most of the fun out of it for the receiver. And probably all of the fun for the giver (never sucked a dick, so couldn't say for sure, but I imagine it would be as much fun as eating pussy through a dental dam).

fournineteenfiftynine

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I wouldn't worry about HIV from oral. I'd worry about gonorrhea, HPV and especially herpes. Totally agree that using a condom for oral takes most of the fun out of it for the receiver. And probably all of the fun for the giver (never sucked a dick, so couldn't say for sure, but I imagine it would be as much fun as eating pussy through a dental dam).

Well, if you had to worry about herpes, it sounds like you shouldn't be doing blow jobs without protection.....right?

karldergrosse

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
If the blowee does not have HIV/AIDS (or other STDs), you're perfectly safe (duhhh!). If he does and you have absolutely no scratches, abrasions, ulcers, or other breaks of any kind in the skin of your mouth, throat, or esophagus, then the likelihood of HIV (but not of other types of disease) infection is possibly (likely?) less than with anal/vaginal. But it's still not a risk that I would choose to run, especially since there seem to be no definitive data on just how long an exposure time is necessary for infection.

TroMag

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Well, if you had to worry about herpes, it sounds like you shouldn't be doing blow jobs without protection.....right?
Unfortunately, yes.
(knocking on wood big time) I've had my share of giving and receiving BJs and never had any problems. I do hear some people getting herpes, but its rare.
Herpes is rare? About 2 out of 3 people have oral herpes, and another 1 out of 5 people has genital herpes. I wouldn't call that rare.

B_BadBoyBilly

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You can get HIV from giving oral sex. Do not believe the people who tell you that you cannot as it has been proven that you can get HIV from oral sex and I know men who became Poz from giving oral sex and they are only into oral sex.

B_BadBoyBilly

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I know some men use condoms for giving head since you can get HIV and other STDs from giving head but I'd rather skip them as they taste nasty and just give head to a trusted partner who has a sexual history that I know and we have been tested.

mongooseontherun

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I have worked alongside my local cetnre for HIV (allthough i must state not in a medical capacity) and was told that as long as there were no cuts or abrasions to a guys moth or gums the chances of recieving hiv through oral sex is rather slim, there is still a risk, but you would have to be damn unlucky, however there are other more prevelant STD's caught through oral

brotherofdjango

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
the last time i went to get tested, the people at the clinic said refraining from brushing your teeth 2hrs before or after giving head should greatly reduce you risk of getting HIV. though obviously thats not foolproof and they didnt mention anything about other STIs.

salsfe

Experimental Member
Media
Another thing to keep in mind for those who shave their pubes is the chance of receiving an infection from an "unhealthy" mouth if your cock has just been shaved.

Madison_Thick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Was searching for this topic, as opposed to just starting a new one, and am hoping more people can chime in:

Oral Sex happens alot in casual sexual encounters, and rarely do people wear condoms when receiving blow-jobs... so, how "safe" is that?