Blow Jobs

D_Kaye Throttlebottom

Experimental Member
Media
to think 2 years ago - they said that oral sex was low risk for STD's. A complete 180 now.
I'm thinking oral sex is something I'm going to have to rule out.

HPV-related oral cancers rise among younger men -- baltimoresun.com
baltimoresun.com

HPV-related oral cancers rise among younger men

Hopkins doctor credited with linking tumors and sexually transmitted virus

By Stephanie Desmon
Sun reporter
April 14, 2008

The sexually transmitted virus that causes cervical cancer in women has now been linked to an uptick of throat, tonsil and tongue cancers - in a younger and healthier group of patients than doctors have ever seen before.

These head and neck cancers were once the scourge of older men - mostly the result of lifetimes of heavy smoking and drinking. The treatments often left victims disfigured.

But with those cases on the decline, doctors are seeing a new group of victims. They're men in their 40s, and even 30s, whose cancer is brought on by the increasingly common human papillomavirus (HPV). It's an infection that more than half of Americans will encounter during their lifetimes. And researchers now believe that the increase in certain oral cancers can be traced to the spread of the virus through oral sex.

New studies suggest that HPV-related oral cancer cases are on pace to eventually surpass cases of cervical cancer in the United States, which strikes about 11,000 women each year. And many doctors do not realize that they should be on the lookout for oral cancer in younger patients.

"It just kind of rocks the whole paradigm," said Dr. Maura Gillison, a Johns Hopkins oncologist who is credited with making the link between HPV and oral cancers. "Everyone thinks of the long-term smoker, the long-term drinker. Now we're seeing the movers and shakers in the prime of life."

Gillison and others say they hope an HPV vaccine designed to protect girls and young women against cervical cancer will be approved for boys and tested for head and neck cancers, which are more likely to affect men than women.

Researchers say changing sexual behavior probably accounts for the explosion of HPV-related oral cancers. In a study published last year in The New England Journal of Medicine, Gillison and colleagues found the strongest link in patients with larger numbers of lifetime sex partners.

The sexual revolution of the 1960s made it more acceptable to have more sex partners, she and others said. And, if the AIDS scare of the 1980s persuaded many to have safer sex, the caution didn't always extend to oral sex. The bottom line: more HPV-related oral cancers.

A reluctance to discuss oral sex may be why the public knows so little about the link between HPV and head and neck cancers.

There is plenty of open talk about preventing cervical cancer nowadays, including commercials that tout the blockbuster HPV vaccine with girls chanting about becoming "One Less." But there's still more of a taboo when it comes to talking about oral sex.

"The public is unaware of this," said Dr. Erich Sturgis, a head and neck surgeon at The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center who has studied HPV. "It's just starting to filter out."

It doesn't even occur to some primary-care doctors that their patients younger than 60 might have developed oral cancer, but researchers say a lingering sore throat or a lump in the neck could be symptoms of the disease and should be checked out.

These cancers remain relatively rare, despite a 5 percent increase in cases each year since 2000. Estimates put cases of HPV-associated head and neck cancers at 6,000 per year - and cervical cancer cases at fewer than 11,000.

Debbie Roffman, a human sexuality educator at Park School and author of Sex and Sensibility: The Thinking Parent's Guide to Talking About Sex, discusses risky behaviors with her students, some of whom are in middle school. But sometimes it's hard to get the message through, especially when students are sure those behaviors won't hurt them.

"They're not going to be as focused on invisible things like germs and long-developing things like cancer that are way off in the future," she said.

Gillison said everyone involved - from pre-teens to primary-care doctors - must change their perception of who is at risk. Doctors taking medical histories typically ask about smoking- and alcohol-related behaviors, but she said they should ask about sexual history, too.

"Now most of us are at risk, because humans are sexual beings," she said.

The rise of HPV-related head and neck cancers is not just a U.S. phenomenon. Swedish researchers who re-examined samples from the 1970s have found that 28 percent of oral tumors were HPV-positive. In tumors from 2000 to 2002, HPV-positive samples jumped to 68 percent.

In a study by Gillison and others last year, 72 percent of certain oral cancers were HPV-positive.

HPV is typically spread through sexual contact. While many women will have HPV at some point in their lives, they frequently have no symptoms and the virus usually goes away on its own. Sometimes, HPV lingers and becomes cancer - a process that can take decades.

Doctors are familiar with this progression because pre-cancerous lesions are often caught during Pap tests. But they don't know much about how progression occurs in the throat and mouth.

Gillison and her colleagues say HPV-related oral cancers appear to be distinct from those not associated with the sexually transmitted infection and appear to respond differently to treatment.

Two years after diagnosis, 95 percent of those with HPV-positive head and neck cancers were alive compared with 62 percent with HPV-negative cancers, research shows.

Even so, the treatment can have serious and long-lasting side effects. Some patients end up disfigured; others have difficulty speaking or swallowing. Gillison said those with HPV-positive tumors might be able to survive with less-damaging treatments.

Meanwhile, the HPV vaccine has been a financial boon for Merck & Co., the maker of Gardasil, the three-dose vaccine approved in the United States in 2006 for females ages 9 through 26. Doctors recommend vaccinating girls before they become sexually active and can be exposed to the virus.

Merck sold $1.5 billion worth of Gardasil last year around the world. GlaxoSmithKline is seeking U.S. approval for a competing drug called Cervarix.

Neither vaccine is approved for males. Both companies are studying whether it is safe in boys and whether it would prevent genital warts and rare cancers of the penis and anus. But neither has plans to study whether the vaccine would play any role in the prevention of HPV-linked oral cancers.

"Cervical cancer is really the focus," said Liad Diamond, a GlaxoSmithKline spokeswoman.

Experts said they think researchers will find the vaccine works on HPV throughout the body.

"The way the vaccine works, there's no reason to think it wouldn't protect against oropharanyx [tonsil, tongue and throat] cancer as it does cervical cancer," Sturgis said.

Dr. Aimee Kreimer, an epidemiologist at the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, said that, theoretically, the vaccine should work on HPV anywhere in the body but such discussion is premature.

"Before recommending the vaccine to men, it's crucial to determine if the vaccination works to prevent infection in men," she said.

stephanie.desmon@baltsun.com
Copyright © 2008, The Baltimore Sun

HamYai

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Who wants to live forever when forever would seem an even longer time, without blow-jobs.

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

Account Disabled
Media
If it isn't a blow job its water
If it isn't water its air
If it isn't air its meat
if it isn't meat is vegetables
if it isn't vegetables its toothpaste
If it isn't toothpaste its alcohol
If it isn't alcohol its saliva

Something is always going to cause the next deadly epidemic

HyperHulk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
If it isn't a blow job its water
If it isn't water its air
If it isn't air its meat
if it isn't meat is vegetables
if it isn't vegetables its toothpaste
If it isn't toothpaste its alcohol
If it isn't alcohol its saliva

Something is always going to cause the next deadly epidemic

I agree Lee. I'm all for looking out for yourself and being smart and safe but you also have to live. If you followed every little report and study, you'd never leave the house or meet anyone.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Truth is, oral sex has never been the safest sexual activity to begin with. It is safer than unprotected anal or vaginal sex, but it's not without its issues. There are cases of people attracting HIV through oral sex.

I think there's more attention being paid to oral sex now since a lot of people decided they could reduce their chances of attracting STDs dramatically by resorting to it. Besides abstinence, which everyone knows ain't happening especially on a board like this where all these dicks and tits are a floppin' about, the only way to truly cut down the risk is to use condom.

B_KOKOBWARE

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
wow that's crazy! i knew HPV was on the rise, but i didn't think it'd get to this point. i'm happy i got my gardisil vaccination.

Not singling you out...but how does gardasil work?
Dosen't it have to be taken at a very young age before a girl has her first sexual encounter?

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am sorry, but i do not see BJ's mentioned anywhere in this... (am i missing something?)

the gyst of this article seems to be saying that younger and younger men, are developing these mouth, neck and head related tumors/cancers as a result of PERFORMING oral sex on women, not receiving oral sex from women!

The women are the ones who carry the virus, which is responsible for cervical cancer in women, and its presence in the woman's vaginal area and natural secretions, are then passed on to the male through performing cunnilingus, and since the male is receiving this in a particularly disease susceptible part of the body,(the mouth, through the tongue, gums, and blood vessels that are highly exposed, and connected through the ear/nose/throat) they are becoming infected at a high rate, even as they are young and otherwise healthy.

it is an outbreak in young men, when normally, these things are seen in much older men who suffer from cancers normally associated with smoking and drinking and smokeless tobacco etc.!

They are considering vaccinating men, since they are the ones suscpetible to the spread of this, due to the fact that women are already being vaccinated and immunized against this strain.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The women are the ones who carry the virus, which is responsible for cervical cancer in women, and its presence in the woman's vaginal area and natural secretions, are then passed on to the male through performing cunnilingus, and since the male is receiving this in a particularly disease susceptible part of the body,(the mouth, through the tongue, gums, and blood vessels that are highly exposed, and connected through the ear/nose/throat) they are becoming infected at a high rate, even as they are young and otherwise healthy.

whew! won't go straight, after all!

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am sorry, but i do not see BJ's mentioned anywhere in this... (am i missing something?)

the gyst of this article seems to be saying that younger and younger men, are developing these mouth, neck and head related tumors/cancers as a result of PERFORMING oral sex on women, not receiving oral sex from women!

it is an outbreak in young men, when normally, these things are seen in much older men who suffer from cancers normally associated with smoking and drinking and smokeless tobacco etc.!

They are considering vaccinating men, since they are the ones suscpetible to the spread of this, due to the fact that women are already being vaccinated and immunized against this strain.
Men carry and transmit HPV as well. I think this is not published as often because, until recently, it was not known to affect men in the same way, meaning cancer.

Basically, every person who is sexually active should be tested and take safer sex precautions to prevent the acquiring the disease. Or don't, as it is already endemic and the vaccine only covers certain strains.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Men carry and transmit HPV as well. I think this is not published as often because, until recently, it was not known to affect men in the same way, meaning cancer.

Basically, every person who is sexually active should be tested and take safer sex precautions to prevent the acquiring the disease. Or don't, as it is already endemic and the vaccine only covers certain strains.

understood, but from what i can tell, the likelihood is far far greater that this is passed to men from women...since the vaccine has long been proposed for women, but never once considered for men untill this finding.

also, it is so because here, the notation is off the transmission which may cause an infection and tumor growth in the male mouth/neck/head area, facilitated by female genital/male oral contact.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
IMPORTANT ALARMING HEALTH NEWS!

100% of all deaths are directly related to having once been alive!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something not addressed in that "scientific" article is that gay men (and lots of women) having been giving the same number of blow jobs for eons. Scientific? Don't think so. Just more of "It's a slow news day, Harry, what do we have to print that will get the bridge clubs to cackle?"

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
whew! think I'll go out and get that blow job, after all!

IMPORTANT ALARMING HEALTH NEWS!

100% of all deaths are directly related to having once been alive!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something not addressed in that "scientific" article is that gay men (and lots of women) having been giving the same number of blow jobs for eons. Scientific? Don't think so. Just more of "It's a slow news day, Harry, what do we have to print that will get the bridge clubs to cackle?"

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
understood, but from what i can tell, the likelihood is far far greater that this is passed to men from women...since the vaccine has long been proposed for women, but never once considered for men untill this finding.

also, it is so because here, the notation is off the transmission which may cause an infection and tumor growth in the male mouth/neck/head area, facilitated by female genital/male oral contact.
This female-male connection may be due to lack of data for male-male transmission? I can't remember reading a study about men transmitting HPV to each other. However, anecdotally, I know HIV+ men who have lesions in the mouth and throat. Some even mouth/throat cancers. These usually only present due to the compromised immunity, but I do not know what exactly causes them.

My point is that it is not strictly a female to male issue. This is something all who value protecting their sexual health should look into protecting against.

Ms.Teacher

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Truth is, oral sex has never been the safest sexual activity to begin with. It is safer than unprotected anal or vaginal sex, but it's not without its issues. There are cases of people attracting HIV through oral sex.

HIV from oral is kind of rare according to all the studies, but the rise in oral sex and its acceptance as the new "first base" is kind of scary. Whatever happened to kissing and heavy petting?

I don't want to be the so-called "rare case" who gets HIV or something else, so I'll pass on casual oral sex.

hmmm..........the other side of the spectrum.

http://www.lpsg.org/85293-question-for-cocksuckers.html

I think there's more attention being paid to oral sex now since a lot of people decided they could reduce their chances of attracting STDs dramatically by resorting to it. Besides abstinence, which everyone knows ain't happening especially on a board like this where all these dicks and tits are a floppin' about, the only way to truly cut down the risk is to use condom.

People are funny. They'll seek an alternative to something which isn't necessarily as good. Heroin used to mainly be for injection, and now more and more people snort it. They're not intravenous drug users, but they're still heroin users.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
HIV from oral is kind of rare according to all the studies, but the rise in oral sex and its acceptance as the new "first base" is kind of scary. Whatever happened to kissing and heavy petting?

I don't want to be the so-called "rare case" who gets HIV or something else, so I'll pass on casual oral sex.

hmmm..........the other side of the spectrum.

People are funny. They'll seek an alternative to something which isn't necessarily as good. Heroin used to mainly be for injection, and now more and more people snort it. They're not intravenous drug users, but they're still heroin users.

I hope you let everyone know that you are the saddest date in State.