Blu-ray sales slow despite of lack of competition

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Marius567, May 6, 2008.

1. B_Marius567

B_Marius567 New Member

It looks like the death of the HD DVD format did not boost Blu-ray player sales after all, going by Blu-ray sales figures from the NPD Group. Another problem for Blu-ray is that a report from ABI Research has found that many consumers may not see any difference between the picture quality of Blu-ray against the legacy DVD format. Going by NPD, standalone Blu-ray player sales tumbled 40% between January and February and then improved by only 2% in March.
    Blu-ray player sales fell in February and now struggle at CD Freaks.com

ever one basted HD-DVD players on here so why are Bul-ray players sales down
    its only $400.00 for a Blu-ray player and $26.00 for a Blu-ray DVD !!!!

2. Mickactual

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think You just answered Your own question.
    Blu-Ray will replace regular DVD when (and only when) BR players can be had for under $100 and the discs can be had for under $10.
    Times like this - with such a sluggish economy - are NOT the time to try to upsell new technology to a general population just struggling to find the $$ to fill their gas tanks.

3. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    ^ what he said. plus my friends that do have it say the difference between blu-ray and other dvd formats is like the difference between red and purple kool-aid. its the same damn thing, except koolaid doesn't charge 150 bucks for the red and 400 for the purple

4. sargon20

Gold Member

Exactly. A new Blu-Ray player is not what anyone would call essential at this point. $100 fill-ups are here.

5. QuiteOne

QuiteOne New Member

Albums:
    Dude, I'm gonna have to call you out on this one. There is a HUGE difference between Blu-Ray and DVD.

Blu-Ray = 1920x1080 resolution
    DVD = 720x480 resolution

The quality of the image is significantly better. The reason most people don't see a difference is because they don't have a screen/monitor that will display the video it's all it's glory.

6. Mickactual

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yet another important issue. In order to fully utilize the potential of Blu-Ray, You need a 1080p TV. I, for example, have a 780i TV. ...So investing in Blu-Ray right now would be moot for me. A nice digital restoration/transfer on regular DVD played in my upconvert player looks about as good as any Blu-Ray is gonna look on my TV. For me, investing in a Blu-Ray player with the TV I have is akin to springing for premium gasoline for a car that's made to run on 87 octane regular.
    Of course, the George Bush's big business electronics industry buddies want us all to spring for:
    A) brand new 1080p TV's (the 2/09 DTV mandate is further proof we're being pushed to do this).
    B) $400 Blu-Ray players.
    C) $30 Blu-Ray discs.
    I just about make the $60 a week for that tank of gasoline. Replacing the 780i TV is NOT in the cards for me any time in the near future.

7. Principessa

Gold Member

Hungshyman, Seriously? You are puzzled by this? It's expensive and we are in a major recession.

There were 7,400 homes sold at a sheriffs sale today because they were in foreclosure. Do you seriously think the average American will be wasting their money on a truly unneeded luxury item? :confused: Get a grip on reality dude.
    Besides which, it's not like DVD players have a major flaw. They work great, are less than 1/4 the cost of Blue-Ray and DVD movies are a minimum of $10 less than Blue-Ray movies in these parts. Even if I had the money right now I wouldn't switch.

I am not one of those people who always has to have the newest and allegedly best thing out there. Heck, I didn't even buy a CD player until the mid 90's. :biggrin1: I wanted to make sure there wasn't going to be another new technology as I had just finished replacing my 8-tracks with cassettes when compact discs first came out.:cool:

8. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    i'd imagine the targeted audience for blu-ray is not the average family. probably the millionaires that bush helps out by giving them tax-breaks

9. lucky8

Gold Member

$400 is still too expensive. when it drops to below $300, i'll consider it...not to metion $26 for a round piece of plastic is a complete rip off

10. lucky8

Gold Member

actually blu-ray's target market is the average family...the price is so high because there is no competition besides toshiba's HD-DVD player

11. sargon20

Gold Member

No the price is high because its a better technology. HD-DVD is can be manufactured without significant retooling like Blu-Ray.

12. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

The royal screwing the Music and Movie industry have given the consumer over the last 20 years is coming back to haunt them. They are taking it right up the ass without grease. I love it.

13. bigboy1986

bigboy1986 Member

i have a 1080i and it is AWESOME :| blu ray all the way i have on blu ray atm 300 and superbad and the HD quality far surpasses HD-DVD i can tell you from hands on :)

14. lucky8

Gold Member

yes, that it a reason too, but the biggest reason is because it has no competition. it doesn't cost anywhere near $400 to produce blu-ray players,, so production price isn't going to effect the selling price all that much. watch, as soon as a solid competitor steps up to the plate, the price will cut in half.

15. D_one and done

D_one and done New Member

well im gonna get a ps3 soon but i doubt i ever use the blu-ray player. they seem pointless to me. yeah the quality is better, but the difference in quality is hardly worth buying an overpriced player and new tv.

but final fantasy is definitely worth it :biggrin1:

16. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    you do realize that the average family has dad working two jobs, mom working, and they still can't afford their mortage.

17. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    amen. i don't apologize for downloading music because i'm sick of paying 20 dollars for 2 good songs and 17 copies of the artist's radio hit. movies suck too, big budgets do NOT equal good movies if the star only got the part because they have blonde hair, blue eyes, and skinny legs. the quality of most forms of entertainment (music and movies for example like you said) has gone WAAAAY down.

18. B_Marius567

B_Marius567 New Member

Im going to buy a 50" DLP HDTV soon use my tax rebate to help pay it :) still cant find anyone that whats my sony 27" tv :( Ill have no room for it in my 10' by 10' bed room when I Buy a 50" TV.

Ill just use a up scaling dvd player for HD :)

19. lucky8

Gold Member

its called "moving away from the over priced coastal areas, and living within your own means"

20. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    although i acknowledge the existence of such people, i made a similar comment to my roommate who's 30,000 dollars in debt and contemplating a 700 dollar washer/dryer set, that's not the case with everyone. i buy my clothes at walmart, i usually eat ramen noodles, i only go to the movies when it's $5 matinee and i constantly tell my boyfriend to keep the internet, get rid of the premium cable. there are some people struggling because of reasons other than poor financial choices

Draft saved Draft deleted