Blue-Ray or HD-DVD?

B_Lightkeeper

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm thankful I didn't have the money (or desire) to upgrade my DVD players and movies. HD format is dead! I remember the Beta/VHS war years ago. Looks like Blue-Ray is the winner however I'll only buy movies in that format if (and only if) some of my most-wanted titles will be released that way. Of course, without a Blue-Ray compatible player, they will be usless to me until such time.

I can't see me switching over 700 titles anytime soon.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I decided when I first heard of the battle of the formats that I was going to wait until the dust settles. And even though HD-DVD has thrown in the towel, I'm still not planning on rushing out anytime soon to pick one (blue-ray) up. Here's why:

(1) Right now the medium (Blue-Ray) is still overpriced imo - so are the players. I'd wait at least until the next generation of units come out and/or some hefty prices drop. By that time we should be able to get a glimmer whether this is going to be another S-VHS kind of story (yep - got one of those. Had laser discs too...in fact I miss my Pioneer m-90 mulitplayer that the storm so kindly relieved me of).

If everything starts coming out in blue-ray and regular dvd offerings start looking skimpy, then we'll know what's coming.

(2) Chances are the next generation of equipment will be hi def dvd recorder/players and or "burners" which will come in future generations of computers.

So when I can get a machine at a relatively "reasonable" price that can burn in HD (providing broadcast signaling ever catches up with it - an "HD" download from your cable system isn't really full HD, you know) then maybe I'll get around to shelling out some bucks for one, if I'm not watchin' cable in the "afterlife" by then.

P.S. VHS isn't completely dead (altho I'm told one can't be found in L.A.) We still use 'em to viddy t.v. shows we can't watch.

SpeedoMike

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Sorry for the confusion. I used the term "high def" to describe the image quality - not to imply a resurrection of the format called HD-DVD.
I thought so. My friend who is an inventor of electronic entertainment equipment says to wait until prices come down. They always do. BTW, i paid $1,099 for my first portable VCR over 20 years ago.

B_Marius567

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have HD-DVD and it still works :):)

there going stop disc for HD-DVD Burnners :(:(:(

they will never make a Blu-ray bunner it will take 10 hours covert from MP2 to MP4

jakeatolla

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I thought so. My friend who is an inventor of electronic entertainment equipment says to wait until prices come down. They always do. BTW, i paid $1,099 for my first portable VCR over 20 years ago.

My older brother bought a Sony Hifi Betamax so he could record
music on it for his D.J'ing job. He paid $1,400.00 for it in the mid 80's.