Blues Fans....

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was never much of a Blues fan, but when I lived in Italy the apartment that I rented someone left behind some old Bessie Smith records and I fell in love with her.
Several years later I was dating someone in Long Beach and we used to go to a club on Blues night and I even mustered my courage and sang back up for one of his friends a couple of times.

YouTube - Bessie Smith (Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out, 1929) Jazz Legend

D_Dollie Dumplings

Just Browsing
Media
I was never much of a Blues fan, but when I lived in Italy the apartment that I rented someone left behind some old Bessie Smith records and I fell in love with her.
Several years later I was dating someone in Long Beach and we used to go to a club on Blues night and I even mustered my courage and sang back up for one of his friends a couple of times.

YouTube - Bessie Smith (Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out, 1929) Jazz Legend

:smile::smile::smile: Bessie is it! I love her version of St. Louis Blues.

Memphis Minnie is good too, she is a distant relative of mine, Enjoy:

YouTube - Memphis Minnie - Hoodoo Lady Blues

D_Dollie Dumplings

Just Browsing
Media
I am, thanks. I have the You Tube playlist going. Call me weird, but it's great to get through emails to.

You're welcome. She is a relative on my dad's side of the family, related to his grandmother. I am sure you are familiar with "When the Levee Breaks", that was sung and written by Minnie and her husband at the time, Kansas Joe McCoy. It's been covered a lot of times.

D_Dollie Dumplings

Just Browsing
Media
I love the blues. Here is the one and only Howlin' Wolf. In my my opinion the the king of the blues.

YouTube - Howlin' Wolf - How Many More Years

If You Hear me Howlin' - Howlin' Wolf

YouTube - Howlin' Wolf - If you hear me howlin'

Man, howlin wolf was a hot mess, in a good way. I like those old style bluesmen and blueswomen from the deep south. They had no problem getting down and dirty and raunchy, even my Minnie! I like Lucille Bogan "shave em dry"----"I got something between my legs that could make a dead man cum!":eek:

lucille bogan - shave 'em dry (1935)
YouTube - lucille bogan - shave 'em dry (1935)

Fsjal

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
So much great music here! I'd have to agree with about all, especially Howlin' Wolf. He, B.B' King, Robert Johnson, and John Lee Hooker would probably be my favorites.

D_Dollie Dumplings

Just Browsing
Media
John Lee Hooker was the first bluesman I heard as a kid. Hooked ever since as you might say.

Yeah, he's good, I love him as well. I am in St. Louis now for vacation and hit up a blues club last night called "BB's" and had a blast! If you can get blues/jazz in any city besides New Orleans, it has to be St. Louis.

*I got dem' St. Louis Blues just as blue as I can beeee*:biggrin1:

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I had the occasion to share swilling down a bottle of Ripple with Muddy Waters back in the day he performed with Sunny Magee. He was waiting impatiently back stage to go on next during a blues festival held in "happy" Salt Lake City. He then shook me down for a smoke. All I had was a joint, which was fine with him.

But male blues singers don't reach me. I'm more of a KoKo Taylor aficionado. Probably from listening to all 78s by Big Mama Thorton, Ida Cox, Sippie Thomas, Bessie Smith, etc., 78s my folks had carefully stored on shelves where we kept the HiFi.

May Lady Koko Wang Dang Doodle in pleasure for eternity.

Last edited: