Blues Fans....

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Probably from listening to all 78s by Big Mama Thorton, Ida Cox, Sippie Thomas, Bessie Smith, etc., 78s my folks had carefully stored on shelves where we kept the HiFi.

I love the old scratchy 78's. Only heard them on the radio and on documentaries though. They give a great context to the deep tradition of the music.

Fsjal

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Lucky you, BrownChick, I wish I had heard more live blues music =o And as for rbkwp, I agree completely, gotta give some credit to the British Blues too, the Bluesbreakers, early Fleetwood Mac, Cream, all those great old blues rock derivatives up to modern blues influenced musicians like The Black Keys and Jack White.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Beale Street Caravan // Home

Beale Street Caravan,® the most widely distributed Blues radio program in the world, attracts more than 2.4 million listeners each week. Produced in The Home of the Blues - Memphis, Tennessee - Beale Street Caravan covers the world with the heartfelt sounds and colorful stories of the Blues and its music makers.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
My 25th birthday was a blues song. Ate dinner at my boyfriend's restaurant then decided to leave after he said he couldn't stay and eat with me (although that was the plan). I blew that joint, grabbed a friend and headed to the Kingston Mines in Chicago. We arrived by the El and left on the backseats of Harleys. Not a bad way to spend an evening.

kenny233

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
This is a link to our local station that plays blues in some of its programming. Check out the program guide and tune in to the blues shows. During the day, they play contemporary jazz, which I don’t really care for. The blues shows, especially the 1950’s rhythm & blues shows on weeknights, play some of my favorite music. These shows are weekday evenings at 7PM CST. They play a mixture of blues standards, as well as obscure recordings that only remain on vinyl. Check it out:

WWOZ New Orleans 90.7 FM : New Orleans' Jazz & Heritage Station : Dedicated to Bringing New Orleans Music to the Universe

The program guide is on the left. If you like to get a variety, this music can be nice to stream if you’re home in the evening.

bobbyboyle

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I'm rather partial to the Delta stuff from the early '20th century. Mississippi John Hurt is one of my favorites.
That song is just incredible. It could have been written and performed at any point in the last century, totally timeless sounding! The influence guys like him had on modern music is colossal!

Blind Willie McTell - Statesboro Blues - YouTube

Son House - Death Letter Blues - YouTube

Historically, this is an amazing song too.
Mr. Hitler - Leadbelly - YouTube

Jack White is one of the best around at the moment.
Jack White - I Fought Piranhas - YouTube

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Ah the Blues: yeah, I just loves me some dark music :redface:

Dinah Washington one did a Bessie Smith songbook for Verve, which I owned on both LP and CD. It stays today as music files on my EHD. The best song on the album, IMO, is this, but the most personally memorable song is After You've Gone. Here's Nina Simone hitting it out of the park.

Billie Holiday tragically lived the Blues and didn't just sing them:

Billie's Blues

Gloomy Sunday

...and everything else she ever did :cool:

I'm not sure if Tom Waits counts or not, but I think he's one of the greatest Blues songwriters/singers ever:

$29

Blue Valentines

Invitation to the Blues

Thought you meant Everton when I saw the title, Drifts. But yeh - love me some blues. :)

What're people's opinions on 'updated' blues (Moby and the like)? Probably anathema to purists, but i kinda like it. Same with dancified soul, as long as it's funky. :D

Moby 'Honey' (samples Bessie Jones' 'Sometimes').
Marlena Shaw 'California Soul'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Thought you meant Everton when I saw the title, Drifts. But yeh - love me some blues. :)

What're people's opinions on 'updated' blues (Moby and the like)? Probably anathema to purists, but i kinda like it. Same with dancified soul, as long as it's funky. :D

Moby 'Honey' (samples Bessie Jones' 'Sometimes').
Marlena Shaw 'California Soul'.

I like them a lot. To play is human. I think that that is how we move forward. I'm on a bit of a David Gilmour retrospective at the moment ironically. But then, I am not precious about the "classic".

Just in case David Gilmour Marooned - YouTube

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Billie Holliday and Nina Simone are both in my desert island repertoire. To me they represent the very best in blues and soul music. I find myself recommending them to people regularly, but am often met with blank indifference.

Ah the Blues: yeah, I just loves me some dark music :redface:

Dinah Washington one did a Bessie Smith songbook for Verve, which I owned on both LP and CD. It stays today as music files on my EHD. The best song on the album, IMO, is this, but the most personally memorable song is After You've Gone. Here's Nina Simone hitting it out of the park.

Billie Holiday tragically lived the Blues and didn't just sing them:

Billie's Blues

Gloomy Sunday

...and everything else she ever did :cool:

I'm not sure if Tom Waits counts or not, but I think he's one of the greatest Blues songwriters/singers ever:

$29

Blue Valentines

Invitation to the Blues

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm completely puzzled that my husband hasn't posted on this thread!!! He certainly can be considered a bluesman, and he's played with a lot of the artists listed already.

Come on, Cap. Pipe up! Blues guys are so cool, he probably won't.

Love me a mess o' blues!!!