Body Core Strength Training

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Does anyone have any good references for strengthening the core (Torso)?

I've been doing my exercises from physical therapy which seem to be working for my lower back, but the middle of my back has recently had a hell of a flare up from the auto accident a year ago.
Not sure if there are any specifics I should focus on for the mid-back.

Any info, videos, recommendations appreciated!

MarkLondon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
See if you can find a Pilates class near you. I was the only male in my gym's class (apart from the intructor) which felt a little odd at first, but it did wonders for my back problems and posture.

Cowabanga

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Pilates, Tai Chi, and Yoga will help strengthen ligament. Most likely you have gain scar tissue from the accident and building your back bigger isn't always the solution, because bigger muscle just mean more tissue to press against the scar. What you want to do is break down scar tissue and rebuild ligaments around your vertebrae. For that you will need to learn proper form and movement of the core the way the back was design to move.

That is why several suggestion is center around the art of motion. TaiChi, Yoga, Ballet all share the same roots, and Joseph Pilates incorporate all of them into his form of workout.

CowboyJosh

Sexy Member
Media
I take Pilates at my local Lifetime Fitness; in the classes I have taken there have always been at least another guy in the class besides myself. In my current class there is a former pro athlete in the class, and in a past class over the summer a lead singer of a pop band was in the class; so every walk of life seems to see results from Pilates.