body lice/cleaning clothing question

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by xolinlevh, Apr 9, 2009.

1. xolinlevh

xolinlevh New Member

Albums:
    ok so my leg was really itchy today for some reason...scratched it and found a lice (eeeew) so i went out, got that shampoo and used it, but now i gotta clean all my clothes. now i dont do my own laundry (what else are parents for?) but for this...i wanna do it myself so i dont have to tell them lol. what specal things do i need to do to make sure my clothes are disinfected?

2. MickeyLee

Gold Member

you have cooties...eewww!!

okay, something a bit more productive - linkie

the general rule seems to be hot water(130 degrees), powerful soap (none of that easy on fabrics crap) and a hot dryer for at least 30 mins.

ml

3. xolinlevh

xolinlevh New Member

Albums:
    lol. hmm, my biggest concern on that is dosent that shrink everything? the hot/hot thing im told shrinks stuff....any other way to do it?

4. MickeyLee

Gold Member

one of the sites recommends sealing up anything you can't machine boil in plastic bag for two weeks. there are a few medicated soaps on the market, but i couldn't tell you where to find em.

do you care enough about the clothes to pay for dry cleaning?

ml

5. B_Giovani

B_Giovani New Member

Boil in plastic bag for two weeks??? How you do that

6. xolinlevh

xolinlevh New Member

Albums:
    well my jeans are pricy, so id pay for drycleaning on those just so i dont wreck em myself lol. my underware/boxers i can wash normaly and not worry about...drycleaning dosent shrink? lol im such a noob when it comes to this stuff

7. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    Drycleaning doesn't shrink, no. But Jeans do not get drycleaned, even if you take them to a drycleaner. They wash them same way you would. Just so you know, cotton shrinks the first time you wash it - thereafter it's not gonna shrink. You can't ruin jeans by washing them in hot water and drying them hot.

Also. If you live at home, you best be telling your parents about your little visitors. While body lice CAN be classified as an STD, that's not the only way you can contract them. I got them from a roomie. How? She had them, didn't tell me, didn't take care of them right, and they infested the couch. They are also notorious for infesting bed clothing. They can also spread through toilets. It's best to just fess up.

8. MickeyLee

Gold Member

like boil in a bag minute rice, only longer. :biggrin1::redface:

9. xolinlevh

xolinlevh New Member

Albums:
    ok well guess il wash my jeans at home then, nothing really to dryclean.....

10. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Not to contradict joyboytoy79...but if you take denim to the dry cleaner and insist that it be dry cleaned they will do it. I have never had lice, but I bought a really expensive pair of denim trousers in Japan and I don't want the color to change or the size.

11. xolinlevh

xolinlevh New Member

Albums:
    hm, well i suppose i can ask the drycleaners if they can do it anyway. yea i spend a ton of money on my clothes...dont wanan wreck/shrink em

12. nudeyorker

Gold Member

If thats the case, put them in the plastic bag for two weeks, If you infest your dry cleaner with lice...they are going to hate you!

13. xolinlevh

xolinlevh New Member

Albums:
    lol true, only drawback is i rotate clothes so often (hell i wore 3 different outfits today) that theres prob somethign on all of my jeans...if i put them all away for 2 weeks....i have nothing to wear...and my most recent pair (which i could wear exclusivly while the others are in a bag) is still being tailored...wont be ready for a week

14. peacock

peacock New Member

15. xolinlevh

xolinlevh New Member

Albums:
    lol zing

16. midlifebear

Gold Member

The carpet sprays you get a prescription for from your vet to get rid of fleas and ticks (not the over-the-counter stuff) is something that I would definitely recommend. Spray down the furniture and anywhere you might be prone to lounge on a carpet in front of a TV. Spray your closet.

This is yet one more thing I remember putting on the CON side of my PRO & CON list that helped me decide to quit teaching elementary school. Any time we saw goldenrod yellow sheets stuffed in our mail boxes in the faculty lounge in meant: head lice, body lice, or scabies. My physician was sympathetic and wrote me prescriptions so I could have quarts of a watery white half lotion/half insecticide at the ready. You rubbed it all over your body (after a hot shower) and then didn't shower again for two days. It was extremely effective. As for clothes and bedding? I had a connection with a local hospital laundry worker who would -- for a price -- wash everything in the hospital laundry's autoclave. Yes, cotton does shrink a second time, given enough heat.

I'm beginning to itch just thinking about this.

17. xolinlevh

xolinlevh New Member

Albums:
    hmm, yea i got oen of these "full kits" RID thing, comes with the shampoo, a clear gel to rub in after, and a can of spray for furniture and stuff..

Draft saved Draft deleted