Boehner, where are the jobs?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_VinylBoy, Feb 10, 2011.

1. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

2. D_Evita_Zane

D_Evita_Zane New Member

How can he have time for making jobs when making "Obama a one-term president" was their highest priority? :confused:

3. midlifebear

Gold Member

I have a theory about Boehner's skin color. He looks suspiciously like someone suffering from chronic Hepatitis. The yellow skin eventually turns a sickly orange, especially with those suffering Hep B and Hep B.

Yeah, Boehner's priorities are in-line with the Republican Party and Tea Baggers, and not in-line with the good of the nation's future. Go figure.

4. lurker37160

lurker37160 Member

We've been asking Obama the same question for 2 years and still don't have an answer.

5. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

That's because you haven't been paying attention.
    Need proof? Go ask GM and Chrystler. And while you're doing that, check out your federal and state unemployment rates.

6. D_Wilburforce Throttlebottom

I had no idea that either the President or the Speaker of the House had the power to actually create jobs?

Actually they don't. They only have the power to influence the economy. I presume the writer of this question wants to see job creation. Job creation occurs in the private sector and while there are many factors, the ones the government actually control relate to taxation and regulation. Too much of either dampens the environment that encourages corporations and individuals to expand, expend capital and create jobs.

Its easy to demonize the rich but the fact of the matter unless you are among the rich you either work for a rich person or sell something to them. The USA is at a crossroads, will we return to our capitalist roots and let a free market economy lead us out of this Recession as it has in the past, or will we continue (as has the President and much of his party during the last Congress) to look to government programs, huge taxation rates, and regulation to solve issues (its never worked through history).

I am not a political supporter of President Obama, and I see his political defeat as one that will benefit our economy. But I also do not ascribe any power to him to directly create jobs, only the power to influence that process. "Obama Care" according to the Congressional Budget Office (non partisan) will itself cost 800K jobs.

7. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

No, but the Speaker can push for debate or a vote on bills that would aid in the creation of jobs. That's what this thread and the link in the OP is all about. Many members of the GOP ran on the promise of making job creation their number one priority. But since being sworn in, not a single bill that directly targets the issue has been proposed. However, they have tried to repeal the Health Care law and impose restrictions on a woman's right to choose.

Not correct. Here's the text from the actual CBO Report which can be read and downloaded here - http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/120xx/doc12033/12-23-SelectedHealthcarePublications.pdf

Several studies have used the findings from research on the minimum wage to estimate the effects of play-or-pay requirements on employment. One study estimated that 224,000 workers (or about 0.2 percent of all private- sector full-time workers between the ages of 22 and 65) could become unemployed if firms were required to pro- vide health insurance costing, on average, $2 per hour worked (or roughly $4,000 a year per employee).16 A second study found a larger effect—a potential loss of 750,000 jobs—from a higher play-or-pay assessment ($3 an hour, or $6,000 a year), but that estimate also included the effect of increasing the minimum wage from $5.15 (the minimum wage in 2004, the year of the study) to $7.25.17 That study also assumed that play-or-pay requirements applied to part-time workers as well as full- time workers and that hiring decisions were somewhat more sensitive to changes in the minimum wage. Play-or- pay proposals that imposed less hefty assessments would have a smaller effect on employment.

The amount of potential job losses is an estimate based on one of the few studies they conducted to create their report. It was never intended to be an official declaration, yet when you need to make a talking point speaking of the ills of "Obamacare", why worry about the differences between something that has speculative potential to do something versus something that actually does? And let's not get into the reasonings why the CBO warn about potential job losses and how it's related to the increasing of the minimum wage. Because then an issue of corporate greed comes into play.

8. bisexualjock

bisexualjock Member

Amen.

9. bisexualjock

bisexualjock Member

The only sector seeing meaningful job growth has been the Public Sector at the Federal and State levels. When viewed economically, this has no positive effect on our economy, as these jobs are the byproduct of borrowing/taxing.

The new Congress IS MAKING HEADWAY. They are currently working on Bills to scale back the "Stimulus" (paid for by borrowing from abroad), de-funding Obamacare (as well as rejecting the 1099 requirements for small businesses), reducing the federal budget for this year by $100 billion, and the list goes on.

EVEN BEFORE the current Congress took office, Republicans spearheaded the effort to keep the tax cuts in place for EVERYONE, as well as returning the Federal Budget to 2008 levels.

VinylBoy is not informed, as usual.

10. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

We're now 0-2 as to what's in the CBO report. This is even after the text was copied/pasted in the thread, and a link to the full report is provided.

Right now, I have the actual CBO to go by and you're just spouting opinions and ideology. Therefore, I don't care if you believe that I'm not informed. You don't like what the CBO says? Think what I'm saying is wrong? Then post the links and let's dispute. Otherwise, you're the one blindly running into a debate without your information in check.

#10 B_VinylBoy, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  11. PurpleThrillHammer

PurpleThrillHammer New Member

Albums:
    Where are the jobs?

:Flush: CHINA

12. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

If the private sector is any clue, you definitely make a valid point.

13. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Don't forget Mexico. A large portion of GM vehicle parts come from Mexico.

14. sargon20

Gold Member

This entire post is a complete waste :Flush:. WTF is taking spending back to 2008 level supposed to do? It's still in the red. While at the same time you are championing tax cuts which further increases the red ink. Please next time take a look at what you are proposing before proposing it.

Really...maybe you should tell Boehner that since he seems to feel otherwise.......

Washington Democrats have no coherent agenda to create jobs, and no interest in doing anything but continue to spend money we don’t have on ‘stimulus’ programs that don’t work. Our economy will ultimately recover, but it will do so because of the hard work and entrepreneurship of the American people, not more wasteful Washington spending. Republicans have proposed better solutions to cut spending now and help put people back to work.
    John Boehner

I'm fascinated by his last sentence since cutting spending actually means fewer jobs. But no matter facts never stopped the Republican Party before.

#14 sargon20, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  15. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Nor the stock market.

16. pinspotter10

pinspotter10 Member

I work for one of the big computing firms. I don't think many citizens of the USA realize how fast and how many of those jobs are being exported to China, Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, and the Philippines. Those jobs are GONE, not coming back, and then we bring in H-1B workers on top of that.

I laugh when I hear someone say "the rich are the ones who will invest in the new jobs for America" statements. My company is only investing overseas, and if they are I'd wager that's what other big money is doing as well.

17. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I lost my job during the dot com crunch due to corporate downsizing and outsourcing so I totally get what you're saying. On top of this, statistics show that the private sector created more jobs overseas than here in America last year. Job Market Booming Overseas For Many American Companies

And if the government doesn't do something, the jobs are just going to continue to disappear from here making it harder for everyday Americans to make it.

18. sargon20

Gold Member

Bingo

Corporate America, paving a downward economic slide

Our multinational companies still invest, of course - just not at home. A study by the Business Roundtable and the U.S. Council Foundation found that the share of the profits of U.S.-based multinationals that came from their foreign affiliates had increased from 17 percent in 1977 and 27 percent in 1994 to 48.6 percent in 2006. As the companies' revenue from abroad has increased, their dependence on American consumers has diminished. The equilibrium among production, wages and purchasing power - the equilibrium that Henry Ford famously recognized when he upped his workers' pay to an unheard-of $5 a day in 1913 so they could afford to buy the cars they made, the equilibrium that became the model for 20th-century American capitalism - has been shattered. Making and selling their goods abroad, U.S. multinationals can slash their workforces and reduce their wages at home while retaining their revenue and increasing their profits. And that's exactly what they've done.

These companies do not think of themselves as 'American', they are multi-national entites that transcend the quaint notion of the nation state. There is no America. There is no China. There is only Apple, Microsoft, AT&T, Exxon-Mobil and Caterpillar. There are only developed markets and developing markets and how we can exploit each of them for our shareholders and the CEO.

19. bisexualjock

bisexualjock Member

Poor people DO create jobs. But then they become rich. By many of your philosophies, it is then fair game to criticize those "formerly" poor people. It is obvious your disdain for wealth is based on greed/jealousy, not a true sympathy for the "poor" who you help to keep down.

Since it's obvious many of you have never taken an economics or Business 101 Course, you have no idea how wealth is created, and how the current system is beneficial for Americans.

The fact that we outsource factory jobs overseas is a good thing. The fact that most of us has never stepped for in a factory means we can specialize our talents in high tech, and other emerging fields. By freeing up labor to train in more complicated and skilled industries, we position ourselves beyond our "competitors" abilities (i.e. China India). The innovation coming out of these "competitors" is severely lacking, since their educational models place emphasis on conformity, as does their cultural heritage.

20. sargon20

Gold Member

Wow two in a row straight for the :Flush::Flush::Flush:. You really are giving 'jocks' a bad name. The entire post is comedy.

Draft saved Draft deleted