Bombay/Mumbai

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by goodwood, Dec 3, 2008.

1. goodwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have wondering for several weeks now 'When did Bombay start getting called Mubai?'. It has really bothered me not knowing when or how this happened and i was going to ask everyone on here this evening, but lo and behold, there is an article on MSN explaining the change. Here's the link in the event anyone else was curious.
    Why did Bombay become Mumbai? - By Christopher Beam - Slate Magazine

2. herman123

herman123 New Member

i was there in 1983 when we called it bombay. i stayed at the taj hotel that was on fire last week.

you should look into history to see when they started calling it mubai.

3. verycuriousblondie

verycuriousblondie New Member

I stayed in that hotel about 2 years ago, its a beautiful city.

4. OldPArtner

OldPArtner New Member

I thought it was always called Mumbai in Hindi and "Bombay" was just an English colonial imposition that became disused as the Western world became more enlightened.

Then again in a recent commentary on the terrorist attacks Deepak Chopra did refer to it as Bombay...

5. pronatalist

pronatalist Active Member

The name change is old news. I knew about it for sometime, the renaming of one of the world's most populous cities. What I don't know is why.

What isn't in the news so well, is that many of the world's most populous places, are getting more used to being so populous, and likely will be becoming more beautiful, gaining wealth, while still adding even more population.

What I didn't understand, is why would such a large building as that beautiful hotel, be on fire? Wouldn't even big buildings in India, have fire sprinkler systems? I know they had firefighter fire hoses, but why was there fire to begin with? And why no explanation on the news?

One reason that many people think such terror attacks haven't occured in the U.S. is because (so many Americans have guns, and many conceal carry). Police in India, took cover and were cowardly, refused to shoot at the bad guys, even while they were reloading. An armed populous is one of the best defenses against such attacks. It makes for "polite society." And yet we are so foolish and don't learn. Libtards blame the evil guns, and not the obviously guilty perpetrators. At the very least, please arm the shopping mall security guards, before something similar happens here!

6. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Citation, please.

And the cowardly remark is harsh and uncalled for - bad form! :mad:

7. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    It was Bambai in Hindi and Urdu, it has always been Mumbai in Gujerati and Marathi, the local languages. Hindi is not the local language, it is across the north of India, which has more language diversity than Europe.

Some Indians who did not support the right wing state government which made the official change have not gone along with it.

8. Scrufuss

Scrufuss New Member

Bombay to Mumbai. Damn where have I been?
    Glad I know this now before I show how much of a ignorant western man I am in front of the natives of India.
    Thanks for the update.
    :werd:

9. pronatalist

pronatalist Active Member

When police fail to do their duty to protect people, I call that "cowardly." Obviosuly, not everybody has that warrior instinct. But I do think maybe such police ought to be fired. But there is a point to be learned as well. Sometimes "law and order" breaks down, as in New Orleans after that Hurricane Katrina flood, and it's "every man for himself." During such a time, some people might be grateful to have exercised their 2nd Amendment rights, and have the means to protect themselves.

Citation? Find your own. I have been listening to much talk radio, and that's one of the many topics discussed.

10. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

There is an increasing trend on this message board of people saying (at least the equivalent of) 'find your own citation for my opinions'. That's pathetic. If you are going to state stuff as fact you HAVE to be able to back it up - at least if you want to be taken at all seriously.

Not to mention that anyone who takes the bullshit one hears on talk radio as the 'gospel truth' (non-literal meaning intended) needs to be laughed at thoroughly for at least half an hour. I repeat, pathetic. (And pls note, I am in favour of the individual's right to bear arms.)

Draft saved Draft deleted