Books on sexual evolution/ sexuality

ummmmmmm

Cherished Member
Media
Morning ladies,

I wanted to ask you if you’ve ever read any books on female sexuality or sexual evolution. I’ve read a few great books myself but wanted to know if you all have any recommendations or have read any books on the subject of sex and sexuality.

There are lots of great books, but before I give them away I want to ask you ever read any if so do you recommend any of them?

Reactions: bonerjams03

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Fiction or nonfiction?

Fiction:

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Fear of Flying by Erica Jong

Delta of Venus by Anais Nin

Dykescapes by Tina Portillo

Nonfiction:

Sex, Art, and the American Culture by Camille Paglia

Sexual State of the Union by Susie Bright (LOVE her)

My Secret Garden by Nancy Friday

Questions to Ask Before You Jump Into Bed by Laurie Seale (this isn't female-specific, I suppose...just a great book about stuff you might should know before having meaningful sex with someone)

Transforming a Rape Culture edited by Emilie Buchwald, Pamela Fletcher, Martha Roth

Not That Bad by Roxanne Gay

There's so much more. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'll check my librarything catalog later, though I only have a few hundred books cataloged. Vast majority of my books are packed and not cataloged yet.

Reactions: ummmmmmm

ummmmmmm

Cherished Member
Media
so give em away already. what are your picks? and don't say 50 shades.
My picks are Sex at Dawn by Chris Ryan & Cacilda Jetha
Untrue by Wednesday Adams
Those two are definitely my favorite although there are some things I think by this time are maybe outdated or the science has just gone onto another thing, but I like them as a whole for sure.
She Comes First - Ian Kerner Is a fun book read.
The Ethical Slut - Dossie Easton & Janet Hardy
The women who run with wolves - Clarissa Pinkola Estes - this is a good read and interesting cultural look at women and their sexuality as well as their spiritual and even mystical nature.

Those are the ones that really stick out in my mind and I would recommend anyone and everyone should read them!

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
i don't think so. i feel like 69 shades took the awfulness of twilight and made it even worse. it makes me embarrassed.
I know. Me, too. I did read the first one to see what the fuss was about and was pretty horrified. But it kind of showed how starved women can be for anything that goes mainstream erotic. It’s too bad it had to be that.

Reactions: ummmmmmm and 286798

I know. Me, too. I did read the first one to see what the fuss was about and was pretty horrified. But it kind of showed how starved women can be for anything that goes mainstream erotic. It’s too bad it had to be that.
it was bad, bad, BAD. And I intentionally wrote it that way because EL James needs a thesaurus... she either used the same word again and again (I think one was Throbbing) OR would use a thesaurus to put several words that meant the same thing, like bad, evil, horrible.

Barf.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
50 Shades?! Omg...was there ever such a disservice to womanhood ever written?

Weirdest moment in my 40s was my mom defending 50 Shades of Restraining Order as a “lovely romance novel.”
My.MOTHER.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
My picks are Sex at Dawn by Chris Ryan & Cacilda Jetha
Untrue by Wednesday Adams
Those two are definitely my favorite although there are some things I think by this time are maybe outdated or the science has just gone onto another thing, but I like them as a whole for sure.
She Comes First - Ian Kerner Is a fun book read.
The Ethical Slut - Dossie Easton & Janet Hardy
The women who run with wolves - Clarissa Pinkola Estes - this is a good read and interesting cultural look at women and their sexuality as well as their spiritual and even mystical nature.

Those are the ones that really stick out in my mind and I would recommend anyone and everyone should read them!

I’m betting with cultural pendulums swaying right that we will need a refresher course in the 1960s and ‘70s feminist lit.
Because there’s a big old closet-box in which some in power and their toadies want to see us back.