Books That MEAN Something to You

dolf250

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Well, here is my short list.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance in one of my all time favorites and there is enough to discuss that you could be there forever. There is a whole section about beauty that I just loved (it expressed what I was unable to for quite some time.) I would steer clear of the sequel Lila- it was rotten.

For the classics- anything by Twain. He is my favorite author and I love his wit. I think I have read almost everything he has written from novels to essays to stories from his days writing for newspapers. Two of my personal favorites are Roughing it and Life on the Mississippi. Though I know that it is not appropriate for a book club I am going to post a link to one of the best and most heartfelt short essays from Twain. It was written shortly after the death of his daughter when he felt he had lost everything. The first few paragraphs are from the biographer Albert Bigelow Paine before you get Twains. writing.Jean is dead!

Finally I agree that The God of small things was a good book. It might not be my first pick, but it is certainly not the regular crap that is all too often being churned out and passed off as good writing.

In addition to the 3 non-fiction books I have on the go right now I am working my way through Robertson Davis' novel “The deptford trilogy.” Though I am not yet through the book and as such cannot offer a final opinion- from what I have read it would be an absolutely perfect book for a book club. It offers topics of guilt, fulfillment and trying to be at peace with ones self. Davies studied Jung and offers lots of material related to psychology in a well written novel as well as tons of metaphors for those who would enjoy identifying and discussing their meanings. Reading it almost makes me almost want to join a book club just to hear what other people have taken from it that I missed or disagree with. The Deptford trilogy may be a little too long, but most of what you need is in the first book (available separately “The fifth business.”)

carolinacurious: It's really been too long since I read "Brave New World" to say anything more than I liked it and remember it being very good. Huxley himself was a very interesting person and has always been on my list of people to read more about and of his work.

Man, let me tell you, it's been TOUGH to stay quiet about that book! I just about flipped when I read your post because, if I had to choose my favorite book of all time, it would be A Prayer for Owen Meaney! I didn't want to post before because I didn't want to "kill" the discussion.

The issues of faith and martyrdom and purpose and absent fathers and male friendships are all intertwined there. That was the book that endeared Irving to me forever.

I can't believe that I've run into another person who loves that book. I'm a sucker for big, old-fashioned storytelling, especially with good doses of humor, so it makes sense that I'd love Irving, but that one in particular spoke to me on a lot of levels, dealing with issues that cut to my core.

We'll have to talk about the book, CC! I'm hoping to reread it this year.

Great to hear it! I hope that we can get some people on here and maybe in the club to give it a read. Irving throws in so many really big issues that it is difficult to say what it is about and I have such high hopes that someone here might read it that I don't want to give anything away. It is the rare book that has me actually laughing out loud while reading it and the extremely rare book that moves me to tears. Such a beautiful story and Irving is a great storyteller.

I have actually made friends through this book: over the years I've given copies out as presents here and there and those people have loaned the book out or someone has noticed the book at their house and commented on it and people I have never met have come up to me at parties and introduced themselves with, "I wanted to talk to the person who gave "Owen Meaney" to my friend." A great conversation is sure to follow.

I frequently give books as presents, none other than "A prayer..." has had this effect.

BTW: don't read the reviews, the amazon people give too much away. Don't worry about the book being about faith (It's NOT the 'Left Behind' series). Just read the book.

One more tip about reading the book, if you're the kind of person who reads a little at a time, fine, BUT make sure you have the time to read the final 75 - 100 pages in a single sitting.

In addition to the 3 non-fiction books I have on the go right now I am just starting Robertson Davis novel “The deptford trilogy.”

Wild! I had never heard of this until a few hours ago. From the Amazon page on "Owen Meaney":

"The book's mystic religiosity is steeped in Robertson Davies's Deptford trilogy..."

I'll be checking it out.

willie

Just Browsing
Media
"The Crow Road" by Iain Banks

It's a mystery and a love story, both of which have very obvious outcomes. It's all about Prentice trying to untangle his complex Scottish family, death, sex, drink and God.
It's a book with an awful lot to say, but is hugely entertaining.

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
South Park Conservatives: The Revolt Against Liberal Media Bias-Brian Anderson. Oddly while attacking liberal bias this book itself is biased. Big selling point is that is making me re-examine my often hardline conservative stance.

The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter-Carson McCulers. Without a doubt in my top 5 of all time. I have read this book a good dozen times (every few years I just have to give it another read). All the characters come alive for me and touch me. Everyone from Singer to Brannon to Mick to Blount to Dr.Copeland to Portia and the others reaches inside me and tugs at my heartstrings. Even last summer when I read it yet again, I found myself in tears at certain times and smiling broadly at others. This seems to be a McCullers gift as she always seems to convey characters clearly and to a point where I feel I know them. (Who can forget The Ballad of The Sad Cafe?) Over the years I have also given several copies of this book to people which I do not normally do (see the exception below).

Cry The Beloved Country-Alan Paton. A hard read and a serious examination of Apartheid, I maintain this in my collection at all times and it is a constant recommend.

How Green Was My Valley-Richard Llewellyn. How could I not fall in love with a tale about coal mining, and in Wales as well! The only character who did not come alive for me was that of Huw Morgan, which was strange since he was in some sense the narrator.

A Mapmaker's Dream-James Cowan--this is another book I have given away copies of. A penetrating book which moves deeply into my philosophical views of life.

More recently:
Rising 44 The Battle For Warsaw-Norman Davies
I am Charlotte Simmons-Tom Wolfe
The Plot Against America-Philip Roth

Anything by Hemingway or Steinbeck holds my undivided attention.

What holds my interest as far as subject matter will vary most times according to my state of mind and where I am in life at the time of reading a particular book. I can't say that any book is really that bad since they all force me to think and connect the dots.

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I love The Color Purple by Alice Walker. I've read it 3 times. It's pretty much the same plot as the movie, but goes more into the relationship between Celia and Shug and details more about life after Celia left Albert. Pretty deep....although it might still be considered a chick book. *shrugs shoulders*

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
One of favorite reads is Alexander McCall Smith's The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. It does not deal with big issues. For me, it provided an insight into a world [Botswana] that is in change through the eyes of a middle aged woman. Totally believeable.

A deeper, more haunting novel is The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.

The first time that I read To Kill a Mockingbird, I was probably in middle school. Every few years I renew my acquaintance with Scout and Atticus and a society now gone [Thank God].

Charles Frazier's Cold Mountain is on of those books that after you read the it you DO NOT want to see the movie.

In non-fiction, I recently re-read Arthur Schlesinger's Birth of a Nation. It is a social history of the forces that created our country. This is probably the finest history book that I have read. It is an antique that deserves notice.

jay

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Too many even to know where to start...

A compelling, harrowing book I read recently: Another Bullshit Night in Suck City, by American poet Nick Flynn. Flynn recounts his relationship with his alcoholic, homeless father and mentally disturbed mother. For a time ion his late twenties, Flynn worked at a homeless shelter in Boston, where he oftren crossed paths with his father. Flynn, too, found himself at the edge of living on the streets. His writing makes the exoperience come alive---at time, he's a dispassionate observer of brutal objective fact, at times he slips into rage, at times he captures the high drama of the life lived inside a deranged drunk's head. Plenty of meaty Oprah-type issues to discuss.

Classics? I suggest a sorta classic in John Updike's first novel, A Poorhouse Fair. INcredible, beautiful, subtle command of language. And a kind of similar theme to Flynn, forty years apart.

A cointemporary of Updike, Philip Roth, is a favourite of mine. Portnoy's Complaint is his undisputed masterpeice. Very funny, very truthful, and beneath the gags, a very deep book about the ways families work.

Peruvian novelist and public figure Mario Vargas Llosa writes with incredible maturity and understanding of human weakness, and hlps us forgive the vanities of the human race. A few years ago, they made a movie of his breakout novel Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter, with Peter Falk and Keanu Reeves. It was an insult to the original book. For one thing, they changed the setting from Soutrh America to New Orleans, wiping out much of the gentle humor of intra-continental rivalry that made the book come alive for me. Rich, colourful, and very, very funny.

steve319

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Guys, I really appreciate your taking time to respond with your suggestions.

A few of the classics you guys mentioned are already on the "short list" of books the committee is going to consider:
A Brave New World (thanks, surferboy)
The Good Earth (thanks, Pappy)
The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter (thanks, Onslow)
To Kill a Mockingbird (thanks, jay_too)

There are a few you guys mentioned that we've already read:
The Color Purple (I'm a big fan of Walker and especially Toni Morrison. We're doing Hurston's Their Eyes Were Watching God in June.)
The DaVinci Code (I didn't love it, but we had huge participation from the local community)
The Kite Runner (What a spectacular read! You guys have to read that one!)
Cold Mountain (I've not found many "local interest" books that I could stand, but this one was enjoyable for me--another one where we got lots of community involvement.)

yaoifun, I've always wanted to read something by Amy Tan, and I think she would be a good choice for the club. Is Joy Luck your favorite?

It's funny you should mention Atlas Shrugged, GBO. When I first got this job years ago, my boss was reading it and raving about it. It was funny for me at the time because I knew little about the book other than it's self-above-others rep (perhaps undeserved). It sort of made sense for her to love it with her, umm...unique way of looking at other people and their needs. But hearing you guys discuss it piques my interest. I'll have to read it for myself. (Might be too long for the book group, though.)

InsertHere, I love Vonnegut! Sirens of Titan is on the list of books I want to recommend. I've gotten mixed reviews on The God of Small Things, but your recommendation boosts its standing for me.

I'd considered Ishmael before but thought it sounded too good to be true. I mean, is it really "life-changing" and all that? Tell me more, guys.

Axex, Lamb might not be a good choice for the club, but it looks like a fun read. It's new to me.

dolf250, it's been years since I read Zen... and I should reread it. Our dean of arts and sciences is a big Twain fan. She would be thrilled if we picked one of his works.

The Crow Road sounds great, willie! I read the info on Amazon, but there's not much detail. Is there much really controversial content?

I've never heard of A Mapmaker's Dream, Onslow, but it sounds fun. The reviews on Amazon are kind of superficial; I'd love to hear more about how this book interacted with your own beliefs.

Amazon's "mind reading" recommendation system keeps recommending Another Bullshit Night... to me--probably because I've bought several of Augusten Burroughs's books (anyone read Running With Scissors?) I'll have to look at it, headbang8. And I remember loving Portnoy's Complaint way back when! That's another good suggestion! You think it's too irreverent for a community book group?

I'm not familiar with Poorhouse Fair but I like Updike's stuff. Anyone else read this one?

You guys just have no idea how thankful I am to you for taking time to give me some suggestions. Please keep 'em coming!

taven

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I' ve read almost every book listed so far, and they're all good. My suggestion is a little off track as it can be just a fun light read or it can be part of a three part study. Alan Gordon wrote An Antic Disposition a Medieval mystery based on Hamlet. Along with Hamlet, a study of Amleth (can be found on line) the older tale that is one of Shakespeare's sources. Gordon's book is not in paperback to my knowledge, but Amazon.com has 47 or so used copies listed at a very reasonable price. Since I've reread Hamlet so many times and consider it one of my all time favorites, I am always interested in any new thoughts on the work. Gordon made it just plain fun.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm currently re-reading Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose, this time in English. I highly recommend it, and the book is so much better than the movie based on it. Isn't that usually the case? Besides being a great work of literature, it provides a bit of education in mediaeval history, as well. Note: look for an edition where the Latin passages are translated if you don't read Latin.

taven

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I loved Name of the Rose, but never could get into his other works. Maybe I'll try them again when I get through the current backlog piled all over the place.

willie

Just Browsing
Media
Originally posted by steve319@Apr 24 2005, 10:09 PM
The Crow Road sounds great, willie! I read the info on Amazon, but there's not much detail. Is there much really controversial content?

Controversial? It's tame compared with a lot of airport fiction. The sex is more hilarious than erotic. At worst it could be called liberal. It's thoughtful entertainment.
Be very careful before you read other Iain Banks books. Some are whimsical, others are terrifyingly graphic.

I also commend a book of short stories. "Doghouse Roses" by Steve Earle
The first and last stories tell you all you really need to know, but read the rest anyway. The first is all about the rock and roll life style, the last is a tragic tear jerker.

InsertHere

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by steve319@Apr 24 2005, 08:09 PM
I'd considered Ishmael before but thought it sounded too good to be true. I mean, is it really "life-changing" and all that? Tell me more, guys.
[post=304234]Quoted post[/post]​

Okay, you're all going to think I'm crazy now!

Yes, I really did find Ishmael to be "life-changing." It really made me reexamine the way I think about people, animals, cultures, religion, environmentalism, and life in general. I wrote an essay on the topic as part of my application to my college's honors program.

On the other hand, some people hate it *shrugs*

I thought of a couple more: Zod Wallop by William Browning Spencer. Brilliant! but very dark. I loved it.

And the collected stories of P.G. Wodehouse. Hilarious, and possibly a good starting point for discussion of gender roles. But mostly just hilarious.

I also recommend The Salmon of Doubt by Douglas Adams, although I don't know how it would fit into a book club. It's a collection of essays and the last, incomplete novel of the author of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy et. al. I really REALLY enjoyed this book.

carolinacurious:

I think for some it will be life changing, for others (like myself) he hits on many ideas that I was already struggling with but helped me organize into a better "big picture", because he does directly challenge so many treasured assumptions I think it will make many people uncomfortable or it will be easier for them to reject out of hand.

It is not a great work of literature. It is a fantastic "lite" philosophy book (which doesn't really seem fair, it's actually got quite a bit more "heft" than what I generally think of as "pop" philosophy). I know I would love to read it in a group and discuss the IDEAS presented, the plot or the writing, not so much.

His analysis of the Biblical Genesis story is one of the most important things I have ever read, it's the first time anyone has ever been able to explain what I have always seen as major contradictions inherent in the story. It may never be possible to prove its absolute truth but I will accept it as 'true' until something better comes along.

The neat thing is that it is an easy, fairly quick read, although it may take a while to fully digest some of the concepts. So it wouldn't be that hard for you to read it yourself before taking it to the group.

To Kill a Mockingbird -- Well, yeah. Perfection. I guess because of where I'm from it never occurs to me that there are people who haven't read it.

I'm curious, with "A Prayer for Owen Meaney" being your favorite book, why haven't you taken it to the club?

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
HI,

Many of my favorites have already been mentioned so far but I tend to like the style of certain writer so I read multiple works by the same author. I am going to start my list and I know I will be editing it on a frequent basis...

Edith Wharton-

Summer- A delightful novelette about the arrogance of youthful beauty. A poor young woman from the Berkshires tries her luck at using her charms on a wealthy young summer resident while scorning an older local suitor with tragic consequences...

"The Old Maid" - A young woman who is raised in the very strict confines of Civil war era northern society makes a tragic decision which will alter the course of her life.

House of Mirth-A beautiful young woman sees the results of envy,duplicity and treachery as she falls from grace in this tale of manners...

Thomas Hardy

Tess of the D'Urbervilles- A young woman whose life is tragically altered by the discovery of her family as the empoverished end of a long line of nobility.

Thomas Tryon

The Night of the Moonbow- A dark tale of a boys summer camp gone terribly wrong

Harvest Home A Idyllic town with a very dark secret...

Pat Conroy

The water is wide A story of Conroy's own experience teaching in the Sea Islands off the coast of South Carolina

Latita Tademy

Cane River- The story of a family's journey from slavery to freedom through the eyes of four generations of women..

Anne Rice

Feast of All Saints The story of the Gens des Couleurs Libres of New Orleans during the period of Placage .Fascinating....

Cry to Heaven From the Golden age of the Castrati, a tale of love, loss and revenge....

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Lately I've been in the process of re-reading some of my favs:

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest Ken Kesey

Sometimes a Great Notion Ken Kesey

Desert Solitaire Ed Abbey

Papillion Henri Charrierre

The Caine Mutiny Herman Wouk

Fate is the Hunter Ernest Gann