Books That MEAN Something to You

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Portnoy's Complaint too irreverent? (or as Alex's rabbi would have put it, "ir-rev-er-ed") A couple of Philip Roth's others have a slightly different take on things. in The Breast, he turns into a giant breast a la Kafka's Metamorphosis--I wonder if it was inspiration for the famous scene in Woody Allen's Everything your wanted to know about sex? If you're looking for something a little more issuesy, Patrimony, a memoir of his father as he faced a brain tumour, is compelling.

Several of these suggestions have dealt with an adult son's relationship with his father; here's another. One of the most moving accounts of a dying father I've read is Dad, by William Wharton, author of Birdy. Again, Hollywood made a crap film of it (starring Ted Danson and Jack Lemmon, two fine members of the stars-but-not-actors league), but the novel itself is very skilfully written.

Though it's not his most famous book, I think Wharton's masterpiece is A Midnight Clear. The story of a group of high IQ young men, recruited to be crack intelligence troops in WWII, turned into a normal infantry unit through funding cuts and sent to the German front. This is the story of the Christmas of 1944, where they hole up in a Bavarian castle only to discover that they may actually need to engage in acts of war.

A Poorhouse Fair and Another Bullshit Night... deal with poverty in America. A nonfiction take on it is Barbara Ehrenreich's Nickel and Dimed, where a well-educated, middle-class journalist spends a year living on minimum-wage jobs, just to see if it can be done. Her conclusion? It's barely possible, if you don't get sick or have any kind of unexpected expense. It would provoke lots of discussion, particuylarly if it followed Atlas Shrugged.

A book that would provoke lots of discussion is rock musician Nick Cave's And the Ass Saw the Angel.. The phonetic spelling grates on me a little, but the content is rich, bizarre, gothic.

I've just finished reading Underground, by Haruki Murukami. A nonfcition book, novelist Murukami interviews survivors of the Tokyo subway gas attack, as well as one or two of theperpetrators. I was surprised at the lack of bitterness from the victims, which doubtless would prove a stimulating discussion point for your group. It was compelling for me, because I recently lived in Tokyo, and my local subway stations were Kamiyacho, Toranomon and Kasumigaseki, three of those most heavily affected. It also explains why there are no rubbish bins in any train station in Japan.

In spite of having lived there quite happily, I'm not a big fan of Japanese literature. But one piece that piqued my fancy is Twinkle Twinkle by Kaori Ekuni. There's a whole Japanese pulp genre of straight women writing about gay male relationships for other straight women--they think that two boys in love are cute and non-threatening. But this is a sophisticated take on the subject, where a gay man and an undesirable woman make a sham marriage to get their parents off their backs. Hardback only, but it's cheap--and the cover is a delight.

To Steve 319: yes, I have read all of Augusten Burroughs' books. Flynn is a cut above Burroughs, I think, when dealing with some of the same subject matter--he's much more serous. That's not to take anything away from Burroughs. I particularly liked the two books that followed Running with Scissors --Dry, and Magical Thinking. Two (literally) sobering observations of drinking too much while working at an ad agency. (I've been known to do both, too)

To DMW: I have a love-hate with Eco. Loved Travels in Hyper-Reality. Hated Foucault's Pendulum. I'll read Name of the Rose on your recommendation, though. The DMW Seal of Approval counts for a lot!

hb8

orionsword57: I read "The Lessons of History" by Wil and Ariel Durant about twice a year, and try to read "Shogun" at least once

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by steve319@Apr 24 2005, 08:09 PM

I've never heard of A Mapmaker's Dream, Onslow, but it sounds fun. The reviews on Amazon are kind of superficial; I'd love to hear more about how this book interacted with your own beliefs.
[post=304234]Quoted post[/post]​

Steve319--
A Mapmaker's Dream (originally through Shambhala Publications of Boston/London, sold both hardcover and soft and about 150 pages) is essentially the meditations or daily journal of Fra.Mauro, a man from the late Renaissance period. His writings were discovered by James Cowan who at the time was searching for information about somthing else entirely. Although Mauro was essentially a cartographer (mapmaker) he also had a wonderful and reflective mind. Rather than go on about who he was himself, I will give you a few brief blurbs which are as meaningful to me now as when I first read the book. Many of these relate to who I have become over a time of inner searching. These are not all ideas or thoughts which were initially part of my conciousness (although perhaps lurking underneath for a long while). Keep in mind I am a person and a soul merged together, both experiencing new things each day.

"The world you are looking for includes many things whose existence most people doubt. That is because they are expecting those things to conform to what they already know. The world I am talking about has been created to reflect each person's deepest image of himself. It follows that wise men contemplate the world, knowing full well that they are contemplating themselves."

"For years I have watched men come ashore dressed in a cape and sometimes equipped with a sword, hoping that they might be the embodiment of me, the one person I know and truly understand. But they were not me they were themselves."

"My body and soul are inseparable. They carry the same weight of finitude even as I struggle to shrug it off. What I have to do is accept this burden, this battle with cessation, for the consummate gift that is, and live, knowing that death is life's polarity, the feather placed upon the opposing tray to ensure that all is balanced."

I first happened across this book at a hard turning point in my life and that may have helped me in my connection with it; although, in all fairness certain ideas have always stayed with me. The idea of mortality and infinity beging apart and together. The eternity of ones soul. The usually temporary idea that other people have the answers for me. The puzzlement of how life has come to be while also at times wondering if it really exists or is rather an illusion. The need to learn self and self acceptnance. Oh heck just read the book. The fact here is that I could go on about this book for hours (maybe even days), but in the long run it'll be how you receive the story which will matter most to you.

One other thing-- do a comprehensive google search with "A Mapmaker's Dream" to get more reviews and takes other than just the Amazon one and mine.

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
SG – I had to read Moby Dick and One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest in high school. I might have remembered them more fondly except we had to dissect them sentence by sentence. This was to make us appreciate literature more. Huh?

In non-fiction Benjamin Franklin by Walter Isaacson is a good read.

Steve Saylor has written a series of mysteries set in the last days of the Roman Republic. The scholarship behind each mystery is impressive. Highly recommended.

My favorite poets are Dorothy Parker and Edna St. Vincent Millet.

jay

ravenously: BIG fan of "Stranger in a Strange Land", and I also like Brave new World. Terry Pratchette's Diskworld series is great too. As far as classics go I've always liked Dickens' "Great Expectations" and anything by Poe. For an older audience I would suggest "Choke" by Chuck Palhanick (author of fight club).

carolinacurious: "Stranger in a Strange Land" is a good one.

Non-Fiction: (But too long for the club)

"A People's History of the United States: From 1492 to Present" by Howard Zinn

steve319

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I can hardly keep up with you guys! The list is growing by leaps and bounds!

taven, An Antic Disposition sounds interesting. If it isn't readily available, though, I won't be able to get members of the local community to track down and purchase copies of the book.

Loved The Name of the Rose! I haven't read anything else Eco's done, but maybe this is a good opportunity. Thanks for the idea, DMW!

The Crow Road sounds better all the time. I have to be sort of careful about offending the sensibilities of little old conservative ladies, willie. Don't want the college book club to be the next topic of complaint in the small-town newspaper's letters to the editor--that's why I asked.

I've been known to enjoy Steve Earle's lyrics--makes sense he'd do great prose too. Plus I've been looking for an offbeat collection of stories to try. I'll look into it.

Dee, those are some nice-looking recommendations. I'm particularly drawn to Passing. And House of Leaves has been sitting in the stack by my bed for a year or more waiting for me to dig in. Is it as darkly fascinating as it looks? I was really excited to read it when I bought it, but just haven't yet.

InsertHere, your reaction to Ishmael reminds me of when I read Tom Robbins's Skinny Legs and All (Robbins, anyone?). Zod Wallop looks like a great premise!

While I've used ...Owen Meany with groups, I have hesitated to recommend it for the book club because of its length. I'm afraid no one would get it finished in time (but I'm sure they'd love it). What do you think? Too long?

Good list there, Naughty! Hardy (and Dickens) have been on our list of good classic possibilities for awhile. Haven't read House of Mirth (but loved the movie). Conroy's books would probably be popular club suggestions. Do you have a favorite?

SpeedoGuy, One Flew Over.. was one of my favorites that we've done so far. It was as good as I'd remembered. Annapurna is a new one for me, but it looks like a great non-fiction choice. Did you love it?

It's been a long time since I've read Portnoy's Complaint, headbang8. As I mentioned above, I just don't want to end up on the editorial page. Believe it or not, one regular attendee was a bit overwhelmed by the (really tame) sexiness in The Time Traveler's Wife. Maybe I'm too gun shy now.

We did Nickeled and Dimed last year and I'd certainly welcome a similarly-themed fiction. With that title, though, I'd never get Another Bullshit Night... even listed in the newspaper announcements. :) (I've already ordered it from Amazon for me, though) And I'm reading Dry now after enjoying Running... and Sellervision. Thanks for suggesting Flynn!

And jay_too, I have to agree: NO ONE could sharpen a verbal dagger like Dorothy Parker!

Stranger In a Strange Land! Good one! *writing on list*

Choke is on the pile by the bed too. Good, ravenously? I've not read anything by him.

These are all GREAT suggestions, folks! I really appreciate your taking the time to share.

Faeros

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Originally posted by steve319@Apr 23 2005, 04:26 PM
One of my roles at work is to moderate a monthly community book club (another nice piece of The Oprah Legacy), and we’re approaching the time to select books for the last six months of the year. So if figured, where better to solicit suggestions than from a website dedicated to big cocks? :p

Seriously, in the past few weeks I have come to truly value the voices here at LPSG, and your opinions matter to me. God knows this is the best opportunity I have to enjoy and learn from the experiences of such a diverse (and undeniably cool) crowd of people. The intelligence and insight on display here is staggering sometimes. In short, I love you all! :wub: (how embarrassing--and that smiley face is pink too!)

So, in a nutshell: We choose one book for each month with an eye toward things that have at least some degree of mass appeal and literary merit. Really, the goal is just to get people reading. We try to select at least one non-fiction and one classic for every six-month period with the other four dedicated to general fiction. It’s been my covert mission to try to stretch the boundaries a bit by pushing things outside the comfort zone of “chick lit” and heart-warming fare with books of non-traditional structure or content. Since this monthly meeting is open to students, faculty, and the community at large (always adults), we have to be a bit careful in regard to controversial elements, but that doesn’t mean we can’t explore big issues.

Oh, and we try to choose books that are available in paperback (for cost reasons) and under six-hundred pages (for time reasons). I don’t mean to lay a bunch of conditions on you, but we’ve learned over the years to avoid those pitfalls.

I thought about giving you a list of books that we’re considering but decided that I don’t want to color the variety of suggestions (any more than I already have). Funny is good, strange is good, deep is good, whatever. I know that you guys will steer me in fruitful directions that I’d not previously considered, so let’s hear it. Your favorite novels, thought-provoking issues, best book you read recently, good authors to consider, enjoyable fluff—give me what you’ve got!

Thanks!

(Hope you guys don't mind a relative newbie presuming to start new topics.) :unsure:
[post=303948]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, personally, I'm an enormous fan of sci fi, so most of my readings are in that vein. There are some absolutely fantastic books out there, and I must suggest two quartets. The Ender Quartet by Orson Scott Card is really good in my opinion, though, I honestly don't remember much about it other that a few specifics - and that I liked it. :p

The other quartet is one that actually changed my life. The Hyperion Saga by Dan Simmons, who by the way, is my literary GOD, is something that just blew my mind away. Totally wonderful. Hyperion, Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, Rise of Endymion, though funniliy enough, I read Endymion first, not knowing it was a part of a series. I suggest reading them from Hyperion to Rise of Endymion, so you can fully understand it all.

Also by Dan Simmons is Ilium, and her counterpart Olympos (Which comes out in June), and has a major Sci Fi element as well as Greek mythology. Very well written, like everything else he's done.

These are but a drop in the bucket of wonderful books, and the only ones I can think of at 1:40 at night. :D

Enjoy!

DieHard9x6: Of Mice And Men is a true masterpiece; Steinbeck often displays superb control in his books -- packing as much story and emotion into 100 or 150 pages as most authors can get into 500. That said, The Grapes of Wrath is a longer, but still fantastic work.

Other books I recommend to anyone who will listen:
A Farewell To Arms. Hemingway just doesn't f around, this one can get to you.
All Quiet On The Western Front. Opened my eyes a bit, early on, about who armies (and supposed enemies) are.
Flowers For Algernon. Don't see the movie on this one, PLEASE. And get the novelized version, as opposed to the original short story. This was an emotional and insightful look into the idea of emotional intelligence, with a main character that can haunt you long after you close the book.

InsertHere

Experimental Member
Media
Here, here! to Ender's Game. The whole series really, but especially the first. I read it every couple of years and I always get something new out of it.

I also especially like another one of his books, Pastwatch: the Redemption of Christopher Colombus. It's very thought-provoking and would be excellent for discussion.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by steve319@Apr 26 2005, 04:57 AM

SpeedoGuy, One Flew Over.. was one of my favorites that we've done so far. It was as good as I'd remembered. Annapurna is a new one for me, but it looks like a great non-fiction choice. Did you love it?

One Flew Over perpetually lives on in my mind. I lived only a few blocks away from the Oregon State Hospital where much of the book (and the film) was set.

Annapurna. Moving account of the French team's epic 1950 climb of the great Himalayan peak. Sadly, much of the account did indeed turn out to be fiction as a result of Herzog's embellishment of the true story which was not so noble. Still a great yarn, though.

More books jumping out of my memory:

Catch-22 Joseph Heller, a masterwork of cynicism.

The Red Badge of Courage Stephen Crane, a young man comes to grips with himself amid the horror of the Civil War

McTeague Frank Norris, varied human wants lead the characters to bitter ends.

Dove Robin Lee Graham, Graham's epic journey around the world in a 16 ft sailboat.

Memoirs of a Geisha Arthur Golden, the poignant life story of a geisha in WW2 Japan.

MacBeth Shakespeare, my fav of his tragedies.

Ordeal by Hunger George Steware, the true story of the Donner Party.

Mr Lincoln's Army Bruce Catton, the Union Army meets many avoidable disasters early in the Civil War.

Lonesome Dove Larry McMurtry, aging Texas Rangers go on last adventurous cattle drive to Montana.

SG

Steve26

1st LPSG Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Hey Steve -- I spend a lot of time reading on the train so I plow through tons of books. Here are some that I've read in the past year or so and really liked. Since plenty of other people have suggested "classics," most of these are on the newer side.

Hope you find some here that you like!

~ Another Steve :)

An American Summer by Frank Deford
Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
The Amateur Marriage by Anne Tyler
Independence Day by Richard Ford
The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon
The Hours by Michael Cunningham
A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley
The Human Stain by Philip Roth
War Trash by Ha Jin
Peyton Place by Grace Metalious
House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus
Midwives by Chris Bohjalian
I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb
Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson
Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz
Open House by Elizabeth Berg
The Reader by Bernhard Schlink
We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates
Love or Jazz (or anything) by Toni Morrison
Empire Falls by Richard Russo
The Shipping News by E. Annie Proulx
A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver

taven

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
One Flew Over was a powerful book for me, but the circumstances are too close to my brother's suicide, so I have trouble coping with it. I guess I need a little distance from what I read, and this book is just too much for me. I frequently read books more than once, but not this one.

rich_cabeza2002

Experimental Member
Media
After finishing "the Grapes of Wrath", I was talking with my aunt about it, and how the book affected me. I was telling her about how I found the book tough to read because it was so down and depressing. My grandmother(now 90) who had lived throught the depression started telling us stories about the depression. What amazed me about her stories was that, even though they happened on the other side of the country, these stories could have come directly from the book. It was at that point that I realised that this book captured an era in time, and delivered it too future generations.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by Steve26@Apr 28 2005, 05:51 PM
Hey Steve -- I spend a lot of time reading on the train so I plow through tons of books. Here are some that I've read in the past year or so and really liked. Since plenty of other people have suggested "classics," most of these are on the newer side.

Hope you find some here that you like!

~ Another Steve :)

An American Summer by Frank Deford
Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
The Amateur Marriage by Anne Tyler
Independence Day by Richard Ford
The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon
The Hours by Michael Cunningham
A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley
The Human Stain by Philip Roth
War Trash by Ha Jin
Peyton Place by Grace Metalious
House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus
Midwives by Chris Bohjalian
I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb
Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson
Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz
Open House by Elizabeth Berg
The Reader by Bernhard Schlink
We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates
Love or Jazz (or anything) by Toni Morrison
Empire Falls by Richard Russo
The Shipping News by E. Annie Proulx
A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
[post=305806]Quoted post[/post]​

Steve 26,

I luuuuuuv all of your selections. I am adding all of them to my list of favorites!

Naughty

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
A friend gave me House of Leaves and said that he though I would like it. I'm going to move it to the top of the stack.

The Passion - I don't know why, but this one just popped to mind. I haven't read it in over a decade, but I remember how wonderful it is. I think I'm going to re-read it.

Innumeracy - I read this one when I was a teenager. It changed how I saw the world.

Well my favorite is a book that's probably never been read from cover to cover, definitely not by me. It always comes through with the goods for me when I am in dire need of vital information and also doubles up as a great door stop...yep its my fave the good old White Pages A-Z. As a publication it must bring more satisfaction per page than any other.... except maybe a street directory....

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
So many books have meant so many things to me for many reasons depending on what has been going on in my life but the one that has probably made the biggest impact was; Death Be Not Proud I found a copy laying around the house when I was about 10 and read it and almost had a breakdown when I finished. I still have a small anxiety attack if I wake up with a stiff neck.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
May I suggest a book that satisfies as non-fiction, fiction, and travel writing? Not enough people have been exposed to Bruce Chatwin's In Patagonia. It served as a good imaginary map of that part of the world until I eventually had the opportunity to travel there. It is what those of us who consume several books a week call "a good read."

Also, Edward Abbey's Desert Solitare: A season in the wilderness is a great introduction to the ragged outcroppings of rugged red rock that define most of Southern Utah, parts of Colorado, and Arizona -- although Abbey's work is primarily a personal narrative of Arches National Park as he encountered it in the early 1950s. He includes one or two short stories as "chapters" to enhance the local color.

Both In Patagonia and Desert Solitaire are in the 250 -- 300 page range.

If your reading group would like to experience provincial India maybe you could convince them to read Paul Scott's Staying On. It's sort of a comedic sequel to his Raj Quartet (four wonderful books to consume on a New England beach during the summer). He expands on the lives of Tusker and Lucy Smalley, who are briefly mentioned in the latter two books of the Raj Quartet. He expands them into fully fleshed out characters as the last British couple living in the small hill town of Pankot after Indian independence. It's a hysterical, yet sympathetic, account of a retired British colonel and his wife as they try to adjust to the fast transition of India becoming part of the modern world. Very amusing and very insightful.

Last edited: